Benelli SBE II not so easy on the eye.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Benelli SBE II not so easy on the eye.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Benelli SBE II not so easy on the eye.

When using waterfowl loads, my SBE has a bad habit of shooting fine debris into my right eye (aiming eye) during the shot. This will happen one to two times during a hunt. It only does it with waterfowl loads...never with light clay loads. I'm sure it would do it with turkey loads too, but I don't shoot enough of those to know.

Anyone else experience this? I love the gun, but it might have to go if there's no cure for this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #2

With 46 views and no responses, should I assume nobody else has experienced this?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Is your gun ported??

porting can cause this to occur. Only cures are get a unported barrel, switch ammo brands different powders act different on ported guns, or wear shooting glasses which you should be doing anyway

One other thing be sure the barrel nut is tightened its outside possible its a little loose and gunk is leaking back past the reciever. Look for fouling on the outside of the reciever where the barrel and reciever come together. If its tight and there is fouling you MIGHT have a out of round barrel or reciever. That would be a condition benelli would have to rectify

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-19-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #4

No porting. Don't see fouling either. I wear safety glasses shooting in the yard or range, but not in the field. I feel that I shouldn't need protection every time I pull the trigger on a $1300 gun. Unacceptable IMO. I've duck hunted with a Rem 870, Mossberg 835, Benelli M1 Super 90, and Benelli Nova...Never had this happen with any of those guns. The inside of the reciever was cleaned prior to the last hunt. This is how dirty it got after a half dozen shots. Never used to get that dirty even after 100 rds of bulk Federals. But, like I said earlier, I only get crap in my eye with waterfowl loads. The loads I've used have been Kent, Federal Black Cloud, and a cheaper Federal steel load (can't think of what it's called).

Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

that looks like its over lubed. how much oil are you using??

another cause could be overly leaded up bore. i use one of these: Tornado Style Bore Brush 12 Ga 5/16 x 27 Thread SS

it does a relly good job and its pretty amazing the amount of lead that comes out.

just some more things to look at

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...