Benelli Nova vs. Super Nova vs. 870 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Benelli Nova vs. Super Nova vs. 870

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 02:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i shot a frinds benelli and it felt like i was holding something from star wars. not my thing, of the 3 i would go 870, it's american made (buy american!) and has proven itself for years. you should also consider a mossberg, it is lighter than an 870 and still made i the good ole U.S.A. and it will never rust bc of the aluminum reciver. hold em all and see which one fits your shooting style, and remember, support your fellow americans and buy what WE make. we have great guns in winchester/remington/mossberg. the itallians make a great benelli, it's your choice to be patriotic.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #12

missleman has a point this country is already in enough debt so do what you can to help buy american

Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #13

Default benelli

My first gun was a Benelli Nova and it has never failed me. it's a light, versatile gun. It's comfortable to shoot and a lot of fun. My dad has an 870 that I use a lot also and it is heavier but still easy to use. The 870 is way more complicated to clean and take apart. My benelli has not had one defect yet and the 870 got a bent spring which makes it impossible for the chamber to lock and therefore fire this fall after 5 years of use. The upernova is wasted money, you get a heavier gun with a recoil pad which is nice but I never had any trouble shooting 3" magnums with my nova so don't waste your money and go with the Nova. And for people who are talking about mossbergs, they're extremely cheaply built and should not be bought.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #14

if mossbergs are so crappy then why the hell does the military use them? do your research before you run your mouth about an american classic. never had a fail out of my mossberg, nor heard of any major problems out of them. i guess the nova was your first gun, did you get it yesterday? my mossberg was cheaper yes, but it is no less of a gun the your benelli, actually i wouldn't own one, because there are too many american made shotguns that are just as good or better for about the same or cheaper price. italians have their benellis, i have my mossberg. why ? beacause i support americans and american jobs!!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got two of the 3.5" Nova's, two of the 3.5" 870's and one Mossy 835 3.5 "
I have shot all of them extensively. I won one of the Nova's on a gun pool at work that cost me 10 bucks, the other was 120 bucks from a guy going though a divorce.

I like the Nova, its a fine gun that shoots well but I just never really warmed up to it as it feels different to me. In my hands, the 870 has the best feel. It may be that I am just partial to it as I've had an 870 of one kind or another most of my life.

Shooting the Benelli just feels weird to me. I used to take it duck hunting all the time, but anymore I grab either the Mossy or the 870.

Shooting the Mossberg feels like shooting a fencepost, the handle is too think and it doesn't seem to be as ergonomic as the 870. Even so, I have killed a couple of dozen Turkeys with it so its not like it's a big issue to me.

The thing is, all of the are good guns and as solid as any. The only way that you'll be able to tell is to pick each one up and judge it for yourself because only you will know if it fits you are not.

I've have seen too many people buy a gun or a rifle on someones else's advice or read everything they can about it on the net, spend the money on it and decide a few months later that they just aren't happy with it for one reason or another.

Don't let that happen to you. Go to the gun store and try each one out. Throw it up to your shoulder and cycle it a few times. Thats the only way you'll know for sure.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmo13 View Post
My first gun was a Benelli Nova and it has never failed me. it's a light, versatile gun. It's comfortable to shoot and a lot of fun. My dad has an 870 that I use a lot also and it is heavier but still easy to use. The 870 is way more complicated to clean and take apart. My benelli has not had one defect yet and the 870 got a bent spring which makes it impossible for the chamber to lock and therefore fire this fall after 5 years of use. The upernova is wasted money, you get a heavier gun with a recoil pad which is nice but I never had any trouble shooting 3" magnums with my nova so don't waste your money and go with the Nova. And for people who are talking about mossbergs, they're extremely cheaply built and should not be bought.
I was looking at the Remington 870 and the Benelli Nova at Big 5 last night.. they were both 28" but the Nova was heavier to me... but since my friend has a 870, I will get a Nova.. I just need to do some weight lifting before buying it.. I'm buying it later today, and I have 10 days to be ready lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
I've have seen too many people buy a gun or a rifle on someones else's advice or read everything they can about it on the net, spend the money on it and decide a few months later that they just aren't happy with it for one reason or another.

Don't let that happen to you. Go to the gun store and try each one out. Throw it up to your shoulder and cycle it a few times. Thats the only way you'll know for sure.
True

Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #17

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

I always wonder why a 3.5" is needed. I love my old Mossberg 500. 3" always works. My Older Charles Daly (made in Turkey) was always finicky until I figured it out. Great auto gun. My 500 is all anodized parts internal, and yes, it is a brute. No plastic. I always found the Nova odd as the butt stock was part of the receiver. I've seen used ones for $150.00 at shops. W/ the 500, no tools needed to strip it down. KISS. Mine is from the late 1970's.

22" barrel is fine, 24" does reach a bit further. 28" is an anti aircraft gun. I have an old Winchester break action that has a 30" extra full choke barrel. It is a 3 piece travel gun. It break blood vessals and only shoots 2 3/4.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 06-18-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I always wonder why a 3.5" is needed. I love my old Mossberg 500. 3" always works. My Older Charles Daly (made in Turkey) was always finicky until I figured it out. Great auto gun. My 500 is all anodized parts internal, and yes, it is a brute. No plastic. I always found the Nova odd as the butt stock was part of the receiver. I've seen used ones for $150.00 at shops. W/ the 500, no tools needed to strip it down. KISS. Mine is from the late 1970's.

22" barrel is fine, 24" does reach a bit further. 28" is an anti aircraft gun. I have an old Winchester break action that has a 30" extra full choke barrel. It is a 3 piece travel gun. It break blood vessals and only shoots 2 3/4.
I bought the Nova already lol can't wait to pick it up. hehe

Old 06-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #19

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

For hunting, I have a 28" barrel Mossberg 500 12 gauge. I can recommend that and it's a widely sold and widely regarded model.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP