Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Benelli m3/m4 vs. remington 870 express tac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Benelli m3/m4 vs. remington 870 express tac

I have been looking for a good reliable shotgun preverably tactical. What are your opinions and advice about what tactical shotgun I should get for the value

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2327 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 51

870 express is a value, inexpensive and reliable. Not on the same level as the m4 though. Depends on your money.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

The Benelli M-4 has been adopted as standard issue by the U.S. Marine corps. "Nuff said!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Do what you want and not what others want you to do!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
The Benelli M-4 has been adopted as standard issue by the U.S. Marine corps. "Nuff said!
Yea it's been adopted, but isn't the price over $1000 for a shotgun!!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #5

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

For an "affordable" shotgun it doesnt get any better than the 870. But the m4 will be the better gun if you can afford it. I personally recommend the 870, its a great gun, its cheap, and will last just as long as a 1000$ gun.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The Benelli is a great gun. As long as you aren't using low volume breeching loads to crack a door ahead of the ram. (Pssst, the low volume rounds don't always cycle the action)

The Remington 870, and the Mossy 500 to about the same extent, are like your Chevy 350. Parts for them everywhere, everyone can work on one, there is no mystery part or tool needed and they run rain or shine.

Some of the high price, gas action shotguns (and I have the FN SLP which I love) can not make the same claim in every environment, under every condition.

If your wallet allows you a super duper high end semi auto, they are out there. But if you have a budget, you are going to be hard pressed to find a better platform to experiment with than the 870 or the 500.

JD

Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #7

Liked 53 Times on 42 Posts

My M4 has been nothing but a fun workhorse. It was expensive at around $1350 plus I spent $300 or so getting American made parts so I could install a 7 shot titanium tube.
It has fired ammo from light bird and skeet shot to heavy slugs flawlessly. While it is considered against the official rules, I can break clays better than my brother with his similarly priced over/under.
I sold two other shotguns (FN Auto 5 and Nova pump) and shelled out some bank depleting dollars to get this and make it the way it was meant to be.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #8

Thank you and out of all the shotguns which ones are gonna last the longest, not drop in value and will have a good resale value in the long run, and easy to dissemble. Jw

Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #9

Liked 53 Times on 42 Posts

My experience with shotguns is somewhat limited as they are not my favorite. However, I have never had any problems with any that I have owned. Some where more reliable than others but none had any broken parts or such.
I grew up with a Remington semi auto (1100?) which got used for two decades with no busted parts. The FN made Browning Auto 5 I sold for my M4 was made in 1956 and it shot as well as the day it was made. John Browning did not make weak guns! The Benelli Nova pump was in my collection for five years with zero issues. My friend borrowed it for deer season many times and sighted it in using heavy magnum loads.
As far as resale, the Auto 5 and Nova sold quickly but not for a lot of $. When I bought my M4, there was a somewhat worn Benelli M3 next to it and the asking price was $1200! That is not much under retail for a new one. I considered it over the M4 for a bit but the shop was willing to negotiate more on the M4 than the used M3.
As mentioned before, the Marines have combat proven the M4 and in all my research I have not seen any complaints on it. You just have to replace some parts so you can legally put on a correct 7 round tube. Comp Carrier made my titanium tube and it is flawless. I added a US made follower (came with the tube), replacement forfend grips, and bolt handle and now it is considered American made. I wish I had the adjustable stock as the LOP is long but those are way too expensive and rare.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752
My experience with shotguns is somewhat limited as they are not my favorite. However, I have never had any problems with any that I have owned. Some where more reliable than others but none had any broken parts or such.
I grew up with a Remington semi auto (1100?) which got used for two decades with no busted parts. The FN made Browning Auto 5 I sold for my M4 was made in 1956 and it shot as well as the day it was made. John Browning did not make weak guns! The Benelli Nova pump was in my collection for five years with zero issues. My friend borrowed it for deer season many times and sighted it in using heavy magnum loads.
As far as resale, the Auto 5 and Nova sold quickly but not for a lot of $. When I bought my M4, there was a somewhat worn Benelli M3 next to it and the asking price was $1200! That is not much under retail for a new one. I considered it over the M4 for a bit but the shop was willing to negotiate more on the M4 than the used M3.
As mentioned before, the Marines have combat proven the M4 and in all my research I have not seen any complaints on it. You just have to replace some parts so you can legally put on a correct 7 round tube. Comp Carrier made my titanium tube and it is flawless. I added a US made follower (came with the tube), replacement forfend grips, and bolt handle and now it is considered American made. I wish I had the adjustable stock as the LOP is long but those are way too expensive and rare.
Thank you I think I will get the Benelli m3