Bayonet on a shotgun, is it really practical? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Bayonet on a shotgun, is it really practical?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

What was that all about?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #62

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I disagree 100% you do not need to be trained with a bayonet to fight for your life. You will not be fighting in trenches or in any type of warfare maybe in a conflict against other trained enemies you will need training. But the bayonet will be used for home defense and defending your life. not fighting wars or stealth kills like you see in the movies or video games. Its not to "look cool" If your weapon fails you during a home invasion or there are more than one home invader and you are out of ammo then you have an immediate weapon at the end of your shotgun. An 18 " barrel with a folding buttstock makes a nice compact short little spear for home defense. no matter what it will always be there. if a real situation occurs and your shotgun does fails you what are you going to do? Are you going to tell the intruders "hold on guys let me go get my 45. In the other room!" NO I doubt that will happen they will not give you an opportunity to get to your sidearm they will beat you and execute you or maybe rape if they were that crazy. With a bayonet on the end of a shotgun atleast you still have a fighting chance it does not take much to puncture somones abdomen or throat and if I were outnumbered and out of ammo id be wishing I had a bayonet you dont need to be trained in the military or be specialy trained in bayonet hand to hand combat and all that mumbo jumbo unless your going to combat or war. the humans will to survive is very powerful. cavemen have even used spears to defend there lives. Having a bayonet its so simple even a caveman can do it and its a cold hard fact that with a bayonet it will be the most quickest back up weapon there is. your adreneline will be pumping and you wont have time to fumble arround for another weapon in the middle of the night. having a bayonet on a shotgun is having two weapons on one system id rather have that than anything else so it is practical not to just look cool.

Last edited by Abc1911; 09-26-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #63

Liked 129 Times on 82 Posts

I would have to agree on the necessity of training. During a stressful, adrenaline-pumped situation when you lose all thought processes and motor skills, you only do what you have trained for. Statistics support that most firearm owners don't train for situations with their gun, let alone with a bayonet on the weapon.
A good alternative would be a nice quick, release blade in the pocket. When the shells are spent and you have virtually reached hand-to-hand combat, it can be out in an instant. Moment of surprise can lead to a quick slash to throat, wrist, thigh etc.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #64
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5162 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1529

Here's my Military Winchester street sweeper shotgun in Mogadishu and you can see the bayonet lug just below the sling attachment. Did I ever put a bayonet on it, nah, the skinnies never got that close.

NSDQ

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who don’t like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #65

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearsights
I would have to agree on the necessity of training. During a stressful, adrenaline-pumped situation when you lose all thought processes and motor skills, you only do what you have trained for. Statistics support that most firearm owners don't train for situations with their gun, let alone with a bayonet on the weapon.
A good alternative would be a nice quick, release blade in the pocket. When the shells are spent and you have virtually reached hand-to-hand combat, it can be out in an instant. Moment of surprise can lead to a quick slash to throat, wrist, thigh etc.
Yes but do you carry a pocket knife when you are asleep? Not sure many people do. You
Wont see it coming if intruders enter your gome unexpectedly in a adreniline pumped situation there will be no time to get a pocket knife or pistol or any other sidearm if your gun fails I still think a bayonet is better than nothing

Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

How much training would really be required to use what is basically an oddly-textured pointy stick? I'm pretty sure most of us have poked something with a stick before. So long as we can avoid poking ourselves, i think we'd be better off with the bayonet.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #67

Liked 129 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abc1911

Yes but do you carry a pocket knife when you are asleep? Not sure many people do. You
Wont see it coming if intruders enter your gome unexpectedly in a adreniline pumped situation there will be no time to get a pocket knife or pistol or any other sidearm if your gun fails I still think a bayonet is better than nothing
As long as we are prepared. Heck, have them all available. Handgun, shotgun, rifle or blade - let's have a plan. My personal preference is a handgun and knife. But again, that's my preference. Whatever works. They all have their uses and can prevent or change an undesirable outcome.