Bayonet on a shotgun, is it really practical? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Bayonet on a shotgun, is it really practical?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterMarksman338

The signature difference of 500 to 590 is the bayonet lug (unless it's the 590A1 series). Every part is the same between a 500 and a non A1 590, except the bayonet lug. You want a lug on a 500 just buy a 590.

All these uses are starting to make more sense now regarding the practical use of a bayonet on a boomstick. Thanks a bunch.
I too was looking for a bayonet lug but I couldnt find anything. there is a bayonet adapter that you can mount around your barrel but its ugly and makes the front of the barrel heavy since. I couldnt swap barrels with the 590 and instead of buying a new 400$ shotgun I just ordered an ar 15 bayonet lug through the mail and had a welder TIG weld the bayonet lug onto a spare barrel that I had and it looks exactly the same as a 590 the lug is very sturdy and it was way cheaper than buying a new shotgun plus I can use all the mossber 500 parts there is

Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #42

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes I think its very practical it makes the ultimate home defense tool you can have. most people think that the barrel is too long and its clumsy but you can make modifications like getting an 18.5" inch barrel and a ATI side folding buttstock that is what I have on my mossberg 500 with a bayonet it makes a compact liitle spear with a pistol grip and a light very easy and an awesome defense tool in my opinon it is practical beacuse it is possible an assailant or home intruder to be drugged up or possibly wearing body or if there are multiple attackers and you dont have enough time to reload your weapon you will always be able to count on your bayonet if you had too. better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it so do as you please dont let anyones opinions stop you from doing what you want

Old 09-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #43

Liked 2507 Times on 1475 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Once again I will say that if you have not trained in bayonet use I think it will do you alomost no good.

Looks cool in pictures, but I'd rather stick more shells in the tube than try to attach the bayonet.

If the shotty goes dry, I hope I was able to fight my way to the rifle of that I had my sidearm too. Either would be much better than a bayonet.

If you want to get good with the bayonet, get good with a short spear first with no ammo. If you get to be a super fighter with a short spear who would take on a charging predator with it, then you are the kind of guy who should have a bayonet.
People Like This 
Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abc1911 View Post
Yes I think its very practical it makes the ultimate home defense tool you can have. most people think that the barrel is too long and its clumsy but you can make modifications like getting an 18.5" inch barrel and a ATI side folding buttstock that is what I have on my mossberg 500 with a bayonet it makes a compact liitle spear with a pistol grip and a light very easy and an awesome defense tool in my opinon it is practical beacuse it is possible an assailant or home intruder to be drugged up or possibly wearing body or if there are multiple attackers and you dont have enough time to reload your weapon you will always be able to count on your bayonet if you had too. better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it so do as you please dont let anyones opinions stop you from doing what you want
I don't think a bayonet is the ultimate defense tool. The shotgun with ammo in it is far superior. Also, anyone who has trained with a bayonet would tell you that you want length in the weapon it is mounted on. So, in close quarters a bayonet mounted on a long gun is not teh handiest tool. And a bayonet on a short version of a long gun is not an advantge for a bayonet. Learn to fight with a knife, and the bayonet will do you more good in close quarters off the gun than on it, in the case of a pistol grip shotgun.

But, when it boils down to it, you are correct, that the gun owner should just get what he wants. It is his gun after all.

Where did you find a bayonet lug that was separate to mount to your extra barrel, by the way. Might be useful for another project, if you don't mind posting a link.
totallyfrozen Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

FTW:

Bayonet on a shotgun, is it really practical? - General Shotgun Discussion
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
tonydewar Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #46

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Once again I will say that if you have not trained in bayonet use I think it will do you alomost no good.

Looks cool in pictures, but I'd rather stick more shells in the tube than try to attach the bayonet.

If the shotty goes dry, I hope I was able to fight my way to the rifle of that I had my sidearm too. Either would be much better than a bayonet.

If you want to get good with the bayonet, get good with a short spear first with no ammo. If you get to be a super fighter with a short spear who would take on a charging predator with it, then you are the kind of guy who should have a bayonet.
Your post reminded me of a scene from one of the "Raiders" movies, where the good guy is facing the bad guy who is a sword expert, exhibiting his prowess, before the attack. The good guy just shoots him.....

That could happen in reverse. Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Carl Sagan

Old 09-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #47
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:

Quote:
I don't think a bayonet is the ultimate defense tool. The shotgun with ammo in it is far superior. Also, anyone who has trained with a bayonet would tell you that you want length in the weapon it is mounted on. So, in close quarters a bayonet mounted on a long gun is not teh handiest tool. And a bayonet on a short version of a long gun is not an advantge for a bayonet. Learn to fight with a knife, and the bayonet will do you more good in close quarters off the gun than on it, in the case of a pistol grip shotgun.

But, when it boils down to it, you are correct, that the gun owner should just get what he wants. It is his gun after all.

Where did you find a bayonet lug that was separate to mount to your extra barrel, by the way. Might be useful for another project, if you don't mind posting a link.
but we are talking home defense. not going to war against trained enemy soldiers... how many home invaders have you heard of that are martial arts experts or have expertise in fending off a home owner with a bayonet on a shotgun??

you have an intruder you forget that the safety is on or the weapon misfires or you shortstroke or it jams you still got a very sharp knife on the end as a nice little spear. i dont think your average goblin is going to have a good time with trying to wrestle a gun away like that.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
but we are talking home defense. not going to war against trained enemy soldiers... how many home invaders have you heard of that are martial arts experts or have expertise in fending off a home owner with a bayonet on a shotgun??

you have an intruder you forget that the safety is on or the weapon misfires or you shortstroke or it jams you still got a very sharp knife on the end as a nice little spear. i dont think your average goblin is going to have a good time with trying to wrestle a gun away like that.
Bt how many home owners know the best way to thrust, perry, slash, disarm, arm bar, or the best targets for a bayonet? How many know how to perform bayonet strikes without over extendeing themselves and opening themselves up to a gun grab, or a counter strike? How to avoid getting hung up in ribs?

I just don't think too many couch commandos klnow how to take advantage of a bayonet. If they want to, then great, but take some lessons and learn how. Better yet take some martial arts and learn how to use a knife.

They are cool, just not really practical for the lay person.
totallyfrozen Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #49

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
FTW:

Bayonet on a shotgun, is it really practical? - General Shotgun Discussion
thats what im talking about cant wait to tac out my beretta 687 ell. but it still needs a laser. and im gonna use camo duct tape

Last edited by tonydewar; 09-17-2012 at 01:00 AM.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #50
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Bt how many home owners know the best way to thrust, perry, slash, disarm, arm bar, or the best targets for a bayonet? How many know how to perform bayonet strikes without over extendeing themselves and opening themselves up to a gun grab, or a counter strike? How to avoid getting hung up in ribs?

I just don't think too many couch commandos klnow how to take advantage of a bayonet. If they want to, then great, but take some lessons and learn how. Better yet take some martial arts and learn how to use a knife.

They are cool, just not really practical for the lay person.
im just saying you dont have to be an expert when your going up against a cowardly home invader. there arent a whole lot of people expert in using handguns in combat yet thousands of noobs to pistols succesfully defend themselves each year from violent agressors.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent