Barrel Length's Effect on Spread - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Barrel Length's Effect on Spread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
One thing comes to mind,with birdshot loads,most of the time they are shot through a sleeve sabot style wad,so a 28" and 18.5" with the same choke should give the exact same patterns since any barrel over 14" or so will shoot at the same velocity.Now,with a full choke and lets say 000 buck where the pellets are arranged in the shell a certain way without a sleeve,I could see how there may be a different pattern,the extra 9.5" of barrel may give the pellets a chance to "line up" before leaving the barrel as where the 18.5" may try to squeeze them out before they line up.I don't know,I could just be over speculating but it's a thought.I wish someone(such as a ammunition manufacturer) would build a polycarbonate 12 gauge barrel and film some rounds going off on a high speed camera,seems possible with such a low pressure round such as a 12 gauge and we would learn a whole lot.
wtf you talking about? do you know what a sabot is?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #32

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
wtf you talking about? do you know what a sabot is?
I know exactly what a sabot is,but apparently you do not.Let me explain it so you understand.A sabot is any type of object that is between a propelling gas and a projectile(or projectiles)that help form a seal against the barrel to push the projectile or projectiles out.The wad in many birdshot shells is not just a thin plate,it is a cup sabot sleeve that surrounds the shot until the sleeve leaves the barrel-hence it is in definition a sabot.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #33

i think yall need to spend a little time and rounds on a true pattern board 40 yds out with a 30 inch circle see what your gun and load can do then some time on a fitters board to check your poi. if you do all that you may be ready to beat down the zombies when thay come or you may have an idea on how to hit a moving target at 30 yds.sabots are a wad in a way used to hold a single projectial in a larger bore .

Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I know exactly what a sabot is,but apparently you do not.Let me explain it so you understand.A sabot is any type of object that is between a propelling gas and a projectile(or projectiles)that help form a seal against the barrel to push the projectile or projectiles out.The wad in many birdshot shells is not just a thin plate,it is a cup sabot sleeve that surrounds the shot until the sleeve leaves the barrel-hence it is in definition a sabot.
i have to remember this. sporting clays trap i love my orange wads no that was not my sabot!! that was a piece of the bird

Old 06-25-2012, 03:04 AM   #35

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
i have to remember this. sporting clays trap i love my orange wads no that was not my sabot!! that was a piece of the bird
I realize that in the shotgun world,the thing that that holds the shot is not referred to as a sabot,that's why in my original post I didn't just say sabot,I said "sleeve sabot style wad" because I couldn't think of it's technical name for it in shotshells-which I now know is an "overwad" because I looked up the name,I assumed people would know what I was talking about.And even later in my post I said that 000 buck is arranged in a certain way without a sleeve,I didn't say sabot.I only answered that I knew what a sabot was because you asked if I even knew what one was,and I do,and technically an overwad is a sabot,it's just not referred to one in the shotgun world.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #36

well wth is this post about??? and a overwad ? i use them for loading my bp shells

Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Those long barrel "goose" guns are to sell the shooter, not to shoot the goose. Sometimes marketing reps at firearms companies will play off the myths that are adhered to by some shooters. Your little "tests" do nothing but prove me right. It is choke and not barrel length that determines patterns. If you need further proof, read the late Bob Brister's book, "Shotgunning: the Art and the Science." He also disproves other shotgunning myths such as "a .410 will throw a tighter pattern than a 12 gauge given the same choke." The truth is that a .410 will throw a wider pattern than a 12 gauge.
cottontop

While I agree marketing reps like Mark Twain, " Never let the Truth get in the way of a good story" I am wee bit confused about a 410 having a wider pattern than a 12 ga ?

Someone lent me a book on Trap & Skeet shooting. They had excellent slow speed film on the effect of shot string which is a very old debate that with tech. We can now see. We look at patterns to see how much of a load we can keep in a 30" circle but it doesn't all make it there at the same time. It is constricted by the diameter of the bore and efficiency of the wad to protect payload and clean release. They had their formulas etc. everyone's looking for the best round for their sport.

Full disclosure : Rhino ported choke on my skeet gun

Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #38

rhino good i use comp n chokes good but dmn there dirty

Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1218 Times on 830 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I know the shorter the barrel, the sooner the shot will spread, but exactly how much sooner?
I have a shotgun with a 18.5" barrel on it. How much difference in spread, and range would there be between it, and a shotgun with a 28" barrel.

Just curious.

Thanks
Not really, that`s the job of the barrel chock, barrel length does effect load speed..................

When all else fails.