Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Barrel Length's Effect on Spread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #21

I'm sorry all of my ill informed friends, but I reitterate what I wrote above. Based on years of study and experimentation, barrel length has absolutely NO effect on pattern.
cottontop

Old 06-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19844 Times on 11268 Posts
Likes Given: 50020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I'm sorry all of my ill informed friends, but I reitterate what I wrote above. Based on years of study and experimentation, barrel length has absolutely NO effect on pattern.
cottontop
then i will dispute what you are saying, with this theory. why do goose guns generally have longer barrels than other shotguns? possibly to keep the shot together for a longer period of time when shot? why do some trap and skeet shooters use shotguns with 30-34" barrels? to keep the shot in a tighter formation longer?

Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #23

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
cottontop
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
then i will dispute what you are saying, with this theory. why do goose guns generally have longer barrels than other shotguns? possibly to keep the shot together for a longer period of time when shot? why do some trap and skeet shooters use shotguns with 30-34" barrels? to keep the shot in a tighter formation longer?
Bird,skeet,trap guns have longer barrels to produce a smoother swing,not for tighter patterns.I am not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you but I think someone needs to go out there with 2 same gauged,same brand same choke guns with different barrel lenghths and shoot some paper and see what happens.Do it at ranges that will catch all the bbs or pellets then we will know.I personally don't think barrel length affects pattern(unless it was less than 16" where powder hasnt been fully burned)but in ballistics often there is the unknown,so who knows.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #24

well this afternoon i did some informal tests regarding barrel lengths. the tests were done with #6 birdshot, at 10 yards. the shotguns used were a Winchester SXP Defender with a 18.5" barrel and a fixed cylinder choke. the other shotgun used was a Maverick M88 with a 28" barrel w/ screw in chokes.

test #1 the Winchester SXP. has about a 17" pattern.

test #2 the M88 with Imp. Cyl. choke. about a 14" pattern.

test #3 the M88 with Mod. choke. about a 11.5" pattern.

test #4 the M88 with a Full choke. about a 9.5" pattern.

my conclusions are the barrel length does make a slight difference, but the major difference in pattern size is the choke.

shotgun-pattern-tests-001-003.jpg   shotgun-pattern-tests-001-005.jpg   shotgun-pattern-tests-001-008.jpg   shotgun-pattern-tests-001-011.jpg  

Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #25

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
well this afternoon i did some informal tests regarding barrel lengths. the tests were done with #6 birdshot, at 10 yards. the shotguns used were a Winchester SXP Defender with a 18.5" barrel and a fixed cylinder choke. the other shotgun used was a Maverick M88 with a 28" barrel w/ screw in chokes.

test #1 the Winchester SXP. has about a 17" pattern.

test #2 the M88 with Imp. Cyl. choke. about a 14" pattern.

test #3 the M88 with Mod. choke. about a 11.5" pattern.

test #4 the M88 with a Full choke. about a 9.5" pattern.

my conclusions are the barrel length does make a slight difference, but the major difference in pattern size is the choke.
You should have shot the maverick w a straight barrel-no choke. That is more even.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
You should have shot the maverick w a straight barrel-no choke. That is more even.
i ordered a Cylinder choke for it and will test it when it arrives next week. the tests are not totally conclusive. another test i would like to make is with a 30-34" barrel using a Cylinder choke. to see the difference in from a 18.5" barrel to a 34" barrel.

Last edited by Axxe55; 06-24-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #27

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i ordered a Cylinder choke for it and will test it when it arrives next week. the tests are not totally conclusive. another test i would like to make is with a 30-34" barrel using a Cylinder choke. to see the difference in from a 18.5" barrel to a 34" barrel.
If your Winchester is a TRUE riot gun it has absolutley NO choke in it. Only choke it has is the barrels taper.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #28

Default barrel length

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

Those long barrel "goose" guns are to sell the shooter, not to shoot the goose. Sometimes marketing reps at firearms companies will play off the myths that are adhered to by some shooters. Your little "tests" do nothing but prove me right. It is choke and not barrel length that determines patterns. If you need further proof, read the late Bob Brister's book, "Shotgunning: the Art and the Science." He also disproves other shotgunning myths such as "a .410 will throw a tighter pattern than a 12 gauge given the same choke." The truth is that a .410 will throw a wider pattern than a 12 gauge.
cottontop

Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
If your Winchester is a TRUE riot gun it has absolutley NO choke in it. Only choke it has is the barrels taper.
Quote:
Those long barrel "goose" guns are to sell the shooter, not to shoot the goose. Sometimes marketing reps at firearms companies will play off the myths that are adhered to by some shooters. Your little "tests" do nothing but prove me right. It is choke and not barrel length that determines patterns. If you need further proof, read the late Bob Brister's book, "Shotgunning: the Art and the Science." He also disproves other shotgunning myths such as "a .410 will throw a tighter pattern than a 12 gauge given the same choke." The truth is that a .410 will throw a wider pattern than a 12 gauge.
cottontop
Jared, the spec on the Winchester is a Cylinder choke constriction, no screw in choke. the Cylinder choke is no constriction at all. i got that from the website from Winchester. yes, they call it a cylinder choke, and you are correct, it is the taper of the barrel.

Cottontop, please reread the post. i did say that the barrel length was only a slight difference, and the the chokes were the major difference. my reasoning is that the longer barrel will hold the shot together longer and increase the velocity slightly. yes i agree the choke is the major factor and have never disputed that fact. please feel free to do your own tests and post the results with pictures. i am not saying my results are the end all tests to shotgun patterning, as i only have a few shotguns and can only test what i have to come as close to the testing of this theory.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #30

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 36

One thing comes to mind,with birdshot loads,most of the time they are shot through a sleeve sabot style wad,so a 28" and 18.5" with the same choke should give the exact same patterns since any barrel over 14" or so will shoot at the same velocity.Now,with a full choke and lets say 000 buck where the pellets are arranged in the shell a certain way without a sleeve,I could see how there may be a different pattern,the extra 9.5" of barrel may give the pellets a chance to "line up" before leaving the barrel as where the 18.5" may try to squeeze them out before they line up.I don't know,I could just be over speculating but it's a thought.I wish someone(such as a ammunition manufacturer) would build a polycarbonate 12 gauge barrel and film some rounds going off on a high speed camera,seems possible with such a low pressure round such as a 12 gauge and we would learn a whole lot.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves