Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Barrel Explodes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossaint View Post
I just went out duck hunting opening day with my brand new 12 guage Winchester Sx3 shotgun with a Briley EXR choke. I was shooting a 3 in. #2 steel and about 40 min. into the hunt (as you may have seen my profile picture) my barrel blew up. I know that all of the preveous replies were about dropping your gun and getting mud into the barrel but this gun is never left my hands. Has anybody heard about Briley chokes and their restrictions that they may have for the # of shot to us? And if gun barrels may blow due to the size of choke used?
i am not familiar with such chokes but some chokes do have shot restrictions because exploding a barrel can happen with certain shot/combos. it is always best to contact the manufacturer and get a list for the chokes you use and what ammo can be used with the choke in a safe manner.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossaint View Post
I just went out duck hunting opening day with my brand new 12 guage Winchester Sx3 shotgun with a Briley EXR choke. I was shooting a 3 in. #2 steel and about 40 min. into the hunt (as you may have seen my profile picture) my barrel blew up. I know that all of the preveous replies were about dropping your gun and getting mud into the barrel but this gun is never left my hands. Has anybody heard about Briley chokes and their restrictions that they may have for the # of shot to us? And if gun barrels may blow due to the size of choke used?
i've seen warnings on choke tubes and steel shell boxes about dangers shooting steel shot. maybe that particular tube is not compatible with steel shot. Ive been reading a lot about this before my first duck hunt. I'm playing it safe though, i'm using all Remington products, gun, tubes, and shells. my gun is under warranty if something happens, I will contact Remington and should have no problem getting it replaced.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #23

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Rubbers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
He is either stupid or really stupid. The main reason for your shotgun barrel exploding is 1. 20 ga shell got mixed into your 12 ga shells. 2. dirt or debris in the barrel causing the barrel to be come blocked. If your worried about your barrel getting rain in it grad a rubber at the store when you stop for refreshments and tape it to the muzzle with black tape. It is only good for one shot though.

The first one is the one I hear most often when hearing of exploded shotgun barrels.

No bullet or shot cup provides 100% seal with the barrel there for if you had tiny droplets of water in side your barrel they will be either 1) blown out of the barrel or 2) vaporized by the hot gases escaping around the wad.

Now I have no idea how hard it rains in NZ because I have never been there. So if you get tropical rains that tend to rain 12+" in an hour or two that might be a problem carrying a shotgun with the unprotected muzzle pointed up. In that case I would do as I said before and get some rubbers and black tape.
Hay tango?? Would you need the tape with YOUR size rubbers??

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 12-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
Hay tango?? Would you need the tape with YOUR size rubbers??
Those are called finger cots.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #25
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I've seen an 870 exploded from a rock in the barrel. Saw the results not it in action. Was told the guy rested the gun on it's barrel into the dirt.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #26

To answer one of the original questions in this thread, checking the barrel for obstructions is done by opening the action, I usually put my thumb nail in the action, and look down the barrel. If I see the white of my nail, the barrel is clear.
To address the question of whether Briley chokes are o.k. for steel shot- I shoot alot of sporting clays, and have had Brileys for one of my Berettas. When I first started shooting, years ago, I was told several times not to use steel shot, or buck shot with Brileys. I did not get this info from Briley. To clarify, call Briley with the specific choke info. They will be glad to help.
I have shot in pouring down rain on occasion. I know I got water down my barrels. I have never had any issues at all. I find it hard to believe that even if the barrel were full of water, it would cause an issue on a modern barrel. I don't even think a barrel with a chambered round would hold a column of water. I have never tried to build a column of water in a gun with a chambered round though.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #27

I actually did use a condom over the end my rifle barrel many years ago while deer hunting in a storm. At the end of the day I discovered the condom had eaten away at the bluing. I think the spermicide did it. Regardless, if you are worried about rainwater, a balloon might be a better choice.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #28

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If a barrel isn't chrome lined it's not safe with steel shot. Yes they still make barrels that aren't.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #29

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
If a barrel isn't chrome lined it's not safe with steel shot. Yes they still make barrels that aren't.
That is not at all in line with most shotgun manufacturer's or choke tube maker's reccomendations. Chrome adds nothing to the strength of the barrel. It is done for corrosion and abrasion resistance.
Briley does excellent work, both in the barrelsmithing to accept their tubes and in the manufacture of their tubes. If they say the tube was steel rated, my money is the choke tube was not the problem, unless it wasn't screwed all the way in.
I had a Mossberg blow the end off the barrel years ago. That C-lect choke apparatus is still somewhere out in that marsh. There was no obstruction in the barrel, and it only sounded a little louder because of what happened. Mossberg replaced the barrel. I don't think Mossbergs have bad barrels. In any large scale manufacturing process things can occasionally go wrong. Its a statistical certainty. I think how a manufacturer handles those issues is important.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #30

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

What I found, to my dismay, when I got my Garand, is that to many,

barrel cleaning is merely a suggestion, not a mandate.

Now, take a poorly cleaned barrel, add rain, and (as usual, for

the lazy little turds out there, who merely SELL their dirty guns, rather

than CLEAN them) allow the rain(possibly acidic) to combine with the

fired bullet contamination, and you may accelerate rust in the barrel

which could lead to an accumulation inside the barrel...