Barrel Explodes?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Barrel Explodes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Barrel Explodes?

Just read the Remington 870 Owners' Manual.
Commandment 8 reads "before loading....check barrel for obstruction". Hmmmm. ...
How is this done on a shotgun?

Also, in this country - before obtaining a Fire Arm License - we are obliged to attend a 3 hour "Safety Course".
The Instructor warned of the danger of getting rain drops down the barrel = done by holding 'pointed_up' during rain.
The suggestion was that this could lead to the barrel exploding.

(He wasn't specifically talking of shotguns).

Waddya reckon?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

He is either stupid or really stupid. The main reason for your shotgun barrel exploding is 1. 20 ga shell got mixed into your 12 ga shells. 2. dirt or debris in the barrel causing the barrel to be come blocked. If your worried about your barrel getting rain in it grad a rubber at the store when you stop for refreshments and tape it to the muzzle with black tape. It is only good for one shot though.

The first one is the one I hear most often when hearing of exploded shotgun barrels.

No bullet or shot cup provides 100% seal with the barrel there for if you had tiny droplets of water in side your barrel they will be either 1) blown out of the barrel or 2) vaporized by the hot gases escaping around the wad.

Now I have no idea how hard it rains in NZ because I have never been there. So if you get tropical rains that tend to rain 12+" in an hour or two that might be a problem carrying a shotgun with the unprotected muzzle pointed up. In that case I would do as I said before and get some rubbers and black tape.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

A shotgun barrel will explode if it's blocked but I don't think having a few rain drops in it will hurt anything. Our safety man at the rock quarry brought in an 870 barrel that exploded on him one time. I guess he dropped it and didn't realize that it hit the ground barrel down. When he fired it, the barrel ruptured and he said the shotgun kicked like a mule.

Mythbusters tried to get a shotgun barrel to explode on one of their episodes but couldn't get it to really do anything except blow out the plug or cause the rib vent to curl up. I think they even welded an aluminum plug in the barrel.

However I know for a fact that it can happen, I've seen it before.

It's a good safety thing to check your barrel for obstrutions but it's also a way for Remington to cover thier own asses. If they don't put that in the manual then some idiot would have the problem and then try to sue them, therefore they put it in thier so they can say it's not our fault, we warned you.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 09-18-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 09-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Remington got sued over their barrels several years ago. Reportedly the would blow up when obstructed. Winchester makes a MUCH better barrel (IMHO), at least they did before they went Tango Uniform. I imagine FN shotties are up to the old Winchester standards.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have honestly never seen it happen, or seen one that it happened to. I have seen some DUMB SH!T come through the shop in my time, but I have never seen someone explode a shotgun barrel.

As for carrying the weapon barrel up: How big of a hole and in what kind of weather are you hunting in? If you had an old school blunderbuss and you were walking in a tsunami, yeah, maybe.

I live in the Pacific Northwest. It rains here, just about, everday from about October thru about Feb. Some form of rain, from heavy to light. It's always raining during hunting season. Never seen a barrel cracked or exploded due to rainy conditions.

I am going to go with cpttango's assessment on your instructor.

JD

Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #6

I've seen a shotgun barrel that blew up but never actually watched it happen .

This was in my younger days when I use to go to Turkey Shoots in the late 70's and early 80's and they had money shoots and people cheated by having their barrels heated up and reduced the bore diameter for tighter patterns they called it "Sweating or Swaging" the barrel here .

The barrel looked rather odd as it had a perfect rectangle cut into the side of it about 3 inches from the bore itself .

As far as rain , well I hunter rabbit many times in snow storms and never had a problem with my Mossberg's .

Old 09-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #7

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Remington got sued over their barrels several years ago. Reportedly the would blow up when obstructed. Winchester makes a MUCH better barrel (IMHO), at least they did before they went Tango Uniform. I imagine FN shotties are up to the old Winchester standards.
I love it when I see stuff like this. Well, in my opinion, Remington uses much higher quality steel than Winchester in their barrels. My statement is as fact based as yours, which is to say it ain't. As I recall, Browning recommended against shooting any steel shot in any Belgium made (read FN) shotguns, but the Japanese made ones should be fine with modifed and more open chokes. How does that impact the definition of better? Note, I am not saying there was anything wrong with the Belgian barrels, They were softer than the Japanese barrels, but with lead shot it was a non issue.
Remington did have a batch of barrels that were apparently not up to snuff in some regard. That does not apply to all barrels by a mile. I seriously doubt the Remington 700's downright legendary accuracy is the result of inferior barrels.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #8

I would report the instructor to whatever organization provides oversight for the training programs. He is obviously a numbnut.

As far as barrels exploding, my granddad has 4 or 5 shotgun barrels in his shop that are blown to hell. Some of them have the rib peeled back, others have a big, split bulge in the barrel. They were all caused by having the barrel stuck down into the dirt.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:38 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some of the old winchester 97's (with certain barrel designs) can blow up with today's hotter ammo. But, a bit of water won't do more than start some rust if left in for a while...

Old 10-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #10

Default barrel blow

I just went out duck hunting opening day with my brand new 12 guage Winchester Sx3 shotgun with a Briley EXR choke. I was shooting a 3 in. #2 steel and about 40 min. into the hunt (as you may have seen my profile picture) my barrel blew up. I know that all of the preveous replies were about dropping your gun and getting mud into the barrel but this gun is never left my hands. Has anybody heard about Briley chokes and their restrictions that they may have for the # of shot to us? And if gun barrels may blow due to the size of choke used?