Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > bad ammo? remmy slugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 04:10 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Scrap powder is high in Nitrogen. You can simply sprinkle it on the yard to green up the grass.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
It is perfectly legal(and safe) to throw the ammo in the trash. Just use your new ones.
More exciting to throw them in your fireplace!
I would do a little experimenting. Cut one open see if it has a full load of powder. There is a phenomina (did I spell that right?) where you get over pressure with underloads.

I almost got a Browning A-5 for the price of a Marlin 1897 45-70. My friend was convinced the gun was defective cause he "missed" an 8 pointer with all 3 rounds from the A-5 at 30-40 yrds. The gunstore was going to give him $100 trade-in and he was crying about it so I told him I'd buy the Marlin and trade him. about the time I started filling out the paper work the jackalope came in the gun store yelling "What kind of ammo are you guys selling here"
he had Win 12ga 3"mag 000 buck, same thing my friend was using. it had enough powder for a very light dove load. My friend said he would keep the A-5 and I wanted to hurt that loud mouthed so and so. Not the only problem I've had with Win. ammo, I'll stick with Federal.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Havoc,

Sound to me like at sometime the powder somehow had been wet. Just as a thought sounds like some of the powder ignited and some did not. I could only imagine the uneven pressures in the chamber that occurred with some lighting, some not and probably at a different ignition rate in milliseconds. That certainly would explain why you could have had a case rupture on the shell.
I would get rid of all of the rounds in that batch as mentioned here on the other postings. Certainly a rare event when it comes to the Remington Shotgun Ammunition.
Only my thoughts on the situation~

Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #14

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Havoc,

Sound to me like at sometime the powder somehow had been wet. Just as a thought sounds like some of the powder ignited and some did not. I could only imagine the uneven pressures in the chamber that occurred with some lighting, some not and probably at a different ignition rate in milliseconds. That certainly would explain why you could have had a case rupture on the shell.
I would get rid of all of the rounds in that batch as mentioned here on the other postings. Certainly a rare event when it comes to the Remington Shotgun Ammunition.
Only my thoughts on the situation~

I just have a couple boxs with the same lot number on them and only that one has been shot out of them , Possibly wet ? maybe who knows, but not by us I keep all my ammo in a climate controlled garage in a dark closet so who really knows but I have cut all the slugs out of them and dumped the powder out in the grass , some of them had some very small clumping so im going to say they have been damp at some point in time . I bought these last yr for slug season and we did go out a couple times in the second season snow , but My son keeps them in a back pack except what he has as a box of spares in his coat pocket . Bad or not Im not I wasnt taking a chance with them, their plenty cheap enough to just go buy 4-5 more boxes and not have that worry in my head