Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   bad ammo? remmy slugs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/bad-ammo-remmy-slugs-52209/)

purehavoc 11-21-2011 09:21 PM

bad ammo? remmy slugs

I took my son deer hunting over the weekend and he took a shot at a nice buck well he didnt hit it at 50 yards which is very surprising , I noticed that it didnt have the pop it normally does as I was about 40 yards from him thru the woods , he called me to tell me that the gun jammed and it wouldnt open to eject the spent round and he didnt wasnt to mess with it since it had 2 other shells in it , He is 13 so I understand this . However I did take the 2 out of the gun but the slide was still stuck with a spent round in the barrel , I had to field strip the thing and take the barrel off to get it out of the barrel , when I did get the casing out the brass was cracked all the way down the side and it looks like maybe it blew a small hold in the side , the round had corrosion on it where it cracked , We bought these slugs last season and they sat in a cabinet in my heated garage . maybe the box got wet while hunting last season or something but when I did get the gun home and inspect it and started to clean it I noticed a bunch of unburnt powder flakes down the barrel and I mean a bunch not just 2-5 pieces more like 40-50 ,
Did we just have bad ammo ? Im not going to use the rest of it I bought 5 more boxs of new stuff . now if it is bad how should I dispose of it ?
Thanks PH

Marlinman 11-21-2011 09:38 PM

Are they high brass? Also are they the saboted buck hammers? Pics would be helpful to. As to if they are bad i have a suggestion if you reload.

purehavoc 11-21-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 633079)
Are they high brass? Also are they the saboted buck hammers? Pics would be helpful to. As to if they are bad i have a suggestion if you reload.

no, these are just store bought remington sluggers 2 3/4" slugs . I have been shooting these out of this gun for 27 years ;)
Sorry I dont relaod yet

Virginian 11-21-2011 10:41 PM

My buddy had some shells once and when we patterned one to see why he wasn't killing anything the #4s wouldn't penetrate the cardboard. It is possible. So is a case of "Buck Fever".

Marlinman 11-21-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc

no, these are just store bought remington sluggers 2 3/4" slugs . I have been shooting these out of this gun for 27 years ;)
Sorry I dont relaod yet

Ok thats part of it then bc there was a recall on the sluggers supposably. My suggestion was to pull the slugs and use the powder for something else. Also some of the sluggers are high brass now

hiwall 11-22-2011 01:22 AM

It is perfectly legal(and safe) to throw the ammo in the trash. Just use your new ones.

ACRhino 11-22-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 633250)
It is perfectly legal(and safe) to throw the ammo in the trash. Just use your new ones.

That depends on your state. Soak the shells in motor oil for a month to soak in and ruin the powerder/primer then throw them away. Better safe than sorry.

robocop10mm 11-24-2011 07:19 AM

Contact Remington. Check inside the flap of the box for a lot number. It could be defective ammo.

willfully armed 11-24-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACRhino (Post 633679)
That depends on your state. Soak the shells in motor oil for a month to soak in and ruin the powerder/primer then throw them away. Better safe than sorry.

Actually, I've heard it takes a minimum of 37 days and 3.5 hrs to render them inert with motor oil....

OP - sounds like you experienced some moisture penetration. Inspect the remaining old ammo. Discard any corroded rounds, plink the rest.

WD40 will penetrate and contaminate primers in just a few days.

armsmaster270 11-24-2011 10:48 PM

I cut defective shells just above the brass. dump the powder and ignite it. Trash the rest.