Background check delay?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Background check delay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 199 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Background check delay?

I have bought several rifles handguns and shotguns and have never had a problem. In fact I bought at a gun show a couple weeks back. I go to buy today and get a delay. Wth is this all about?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #2

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

What state are you in?

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39
I have bought several rifles handguns and shotguns and have never had a problem. In fact I bought at a gun show a couple weeks back. I go to buy today and get a delay. Wth is this all about?
I've never had it happen to me but occasionally if you buy a few guns in a short period they will delay it. Also if your name matches a felon sometimes that will cause a delay. Those are the most common reasons for the FBI to delay that I know of.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #4

Liked 100 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

No one ever really knows the reason why. It could be anything from they screwed up your information to you are a terrorist to they think you have unusual activity. Did your LGS tell you to come back and pick it up in a few days or did he tell you that it must be a mix up with a common last name and thats all becuase if it is the second that is their way of saying you were denied. If you got nothing on you recored then you will be good to go. Some one had mentioned they send you a letter stating why you got denied but I dont know as I have never been denied a sale by the background check, only the jackass behind the counter who dont know his job. Also always put your SSN, it helps with the "mix ups"

Side note: Did you go for the Maverick?

Last edited by deathkricket; 11-13-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #5

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Everything is computerized, sometimes it gets screwed up...

The system is pretty dern busy lately, wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was a big fat backlog of BGC's waiting for approval, I'm sure you're not the only one...

Chalk it up to electronic BS and try it again tomorrow...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7768 Times on 4213 Posts
Likes Given: 16424

Did the dealer ask you to pick it up at a certain time or ask specifically when you can return for it?

Nothing to worry about, just a delay. Giving your social security number can expedite the background check. A concealed carry permit can help, too.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 11-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2722 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

ccase,

Believe me sometimes it just happens. I have had an FFL for years. I gave my sons an AR-15 for Christmas. Since the receivers were in my books and the boys were in Indiana I transfered them through a local dealer. Of the four rifles one of the boys got a delay. He is 27 and has never been in any trouble or purchased a weapon before. The other boys went through on the fly but he got a delay! Maybe someone somewhere in the country has the same name or close, has been in trouble and they needed to check it out? He did go back to the dealer a few days later and pick it up as it was then approved! So who knows. I have also heard that anyone who has had a top clearance in the military or other almost always get delayed?

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #8

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

They are now collecting so much data they can't keep up with it maybe? I have had several known repeat customers experience a delay. Usually came thru after a few days. They never tell you why. Government incompetence is my bet. It's a cover up.

What could have happened... did.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2121 Times on 1459 Posts
Likes Given: 793

I have heard if you give your social security number when you fill out the paperwork you will experience less delays. I don't see what difference it makes. There is only one person with your name at the same address.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #10

New a new dealer what are some good discount Web sites to visit