Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Background check delay? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/background-check-delay-100301/)

ccase39 11-13-2013 08:46 PM

Background check delay?

I have bought several rifles handguns and shotguns and have never had a problem. In fact I bought at a gun show a couple weeks back. I go to buy today and get a delay. Wth is this all about?

longunner 11-13-2013 09:44 PM

What state are you in?

j4454 11-13-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccase39
I have bought several rifles handguns and shotguns and have never had a problem. In fact I bought at a gun show a couple weeks back. I go to buy today and get a delay. Wth is this all about?

I've never had it happen to me but occasionally if you buy a few guns in a short period they will delay it. Also if your name matches a felon sometimes that will cause a delay. Those are the most common reasons for the FBI to delay that I know of.

deathkricket 11-13-2013 09:56 PM

No one ever really knows the reason why. It could be anything from they screwed up your information to you are a terrorist to they think you have unusual activity. Did your LGS tell you to come back and pick it up in a few days or did he tell you that it must be a mix up with a common last name and thats all becuase if it is the second that is their way of saying you were denied. If you got nothing on you recored then you will be good to go. Some one had mentioned they send you a letter stating why you got denied but I dont know as I have never been denied a sale by the background check, only the jackass behind the counter who dont know his job. Also always put your SSN, it helps with the "mix ups"

Side note: Did you go for the Maverick?

vincent 11-13-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccase39 (Post 1430790)

Everything is computerized, sometimes it gets screwed up...

The system is pretty dern busy lately, wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was a big fat backlog of BGC's waiting for approval, I'm sure you're not the only one...:cool:

Chalk it up to electronic BS and try it again tomorrow...

MisterMcCool 11-13-2013 10:50 PM

Did the dealer ask you to pick it up at a certain time or ask specifically when you can return for it? :eek:

Nothing to worry about, just a delay. Giving your social security number can expedite the background check. A concealed carry permit can help, too.

Sniper03 11-13-2013 11:05 PM

ccase,

Believe me sometimes it just happens. I have had an FFL for years. I gave my sons an AR-15 for Christmas. Since the receivers were in my books and the boys were in Indiana I transfered them through a local dealer. Of the four rifles one of the boys got a delay. He is 27 and has never been in any trouble or purchased a weapon before. The other boys went through on the fly but he got a delay! Maybe someone somewhere in the country has the same name or close, has been in trouble and they needed to check it out? He did go back to the dealer a few days later and pick it up as it was then approved! So who knows. I have also heard that anyone who has had a top clearance in the military or other almost always get delayed?

Virginian 11-13-2013 11:12 PM

They are now collecting so much data they can't keep up with it maybe? I have had several known repeat customers experience a delay. Usually came thru after a few days. They never tell you why. Government incompetence is my bet. It's a cover up.

John_Deer 11-13-2013 11:17 PM

I have heard if you give your social security number when you fill out the paperwork you will experience less delays. I don't see what difference it makes. There is only one person with your name at the same address.

bigsterling 11-13-2013 11:26 PM

New a new dealer what are some good discount Web sites to visit