Automatic barrel/chamber question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Automatic barrel/chamber question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Automatic barrel/chamber question

Ok I have a bit of a misunderstanding I want to sort out.

I have an 1100 and I want to understand barrel configurations.

A 2 3/4" chamber will shoot 2 3/4," but a 3" chamber will shoot 3" or 2 3/4."
Both of these will shoot field loads or magnum/high base loads.

However, a barrel chambered in MAGNUM will only shoot magnum loads and will not cycle field loads because of the smaller gas port correct?

Just to make sure, my brother wants to borrow my gun and put a 3" chambered barrel on it and shoot 2 3/4" field loads, but before he buys the barrel we want to make sure it will cycle.

Thanks
Darin

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #2

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

A 3" barrel is a Magnum barrel. All 3" shells are Magnums. With 1100s, the 2-3/4" barrels have 2 gas ports, and the 3" barrels have one. Some magnums will function fine down to standard field loads, but in my experience most of them will need at least a heavy 1-1/4 ounce lead field load to work well, and some of them will not work with anything less than a 2-3/4" magnum load. No way to know until you try the gun/barrel combination.
The early Remington 3" Steel Shot barrels had a smaller gas port, but the shells were changing rapidly, and they quickly went to the same size gas port as the old 3" 1100 barrels.
Why does he want to get a 3" barrel to shoot 2-3/4" field loads?
I seem to remember you have a 20 gauge 1100. My LT20 gauge Magnum is a lot more finicky that the 12 gauges were with the 3" barrel. Works fine with a 2-3/4" chambered barrel though.

What could have happened... did.

Last edited by Virginian; 02-17-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have no idea. He wants to shoot some God awful 34" trap barrel but with 2.75" shells.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #4

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

I'm pretty sure all those 34" Remington barrels had a 2-3/4" chamber, but I am not positive.

What could have happened... did.