Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   asking again to see any changes. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/asking-again-see-any-changes-104176/)

old fart 02-18-2014 09:56 PM

asking again to see any changes.

with the warmer weather, i'll be hiking soon in the woods. i have a pardner pump protector 18.5 inch barrel, its my only gun for protection and will be carrying it. it weighs 7 1/2 lbs with factory stock and forearm, if i put on a hogue pistol grip only and a tac star forgrip the gun weighs 4.75 lbs. i save almost 3lbs which would be easier to carry, so what would ya'll do? if this was your only protection gun to carry in the woods, keep the factory stock at 7.5lbs or pistol grip at 4.75lbs? thanks

Gatoragn 02-18-2014 10:58 PM

I despise pistol grips on shotguns. But it is your shotgun.

ninjatoth 02-18-2014 11:02 PM

I would have just the pistol grip if it was me. The gun is just as good with a pistol grip for protection as a buttstock and you won't have the extra weight and length getting in your way.

FrontierTCB 02-19-2014 12:19 AM

Pistol grip only shotguns have their place, and that's in the movies. I would look into a pistol grip with a collapsible stock. Blackhawk makes a nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

robocop10mm 02-19-2014 04:28 AM

Have you ever actually fired a shotgun with only a pistol grip? Kick like a mule and can't hit spit. Synthetic buttsock and forend will reduce the weight and still allow good accuracy

Axxe55 02-19-2014 04:34 AM

i have owned a pistol gripped shotgun once. never again will i own another one. the compact portablity isn't worth the punishment it does to your wrists.

personally before going that route, i would see if someone has one that you try out. it might change your mind.

Vikingdad 02-19-2014 04:55 AM

I agree with the others. Pistol grips are for pistols. Personally I would rather have a handgun for hiking in the woods. What is the worst thing you will run into around there? A black bear? A .357 should be sufficient for that if it is needed at all. I have been hiking the woods most of my life and never once have I needed to fire a shot to defend myself (and we have lions around here!!!).

ninjatoth 02-19-2014 05:28 PM

You guys make good points, but I think they apply only to someone wanting to shoot the gun a lot in a pistol grip only configuration. He says it's for protection while hiking in the woods, the chances he needs to fire the gun in self defense are one in a million, as where the chances he has to almost double the weight of his gun on each and every step is 1 in 1, and if the gun has to be fired from a pistol only grip a few times, it's not going to kill him or break his wrist. Granted I never shot a slug in my cruiser shotgun and I assume that's what you would want loaded in it for really large predators, but I do regularly shoot 00 in it and it's really not that bad at all. Just my .02.

JW357 02-19-2014 11:54 PM

I say get either the pistol grip or different stock, but keep the original and put it back on when you're going to actually use it.

Personally I prefer traditional stocks on long guns, but also understand the benefit of reduced weight when hiking around.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

kfox75 02-20-2014 01:33 AM

Look into a good top or side fold stock. The only way to get good while shooting a weapon fo SD\HD is to practice with it. PG only stock suck in the accuracy end of things due to only being fired from the hip. With a good side folder, you can fire it either way. If you have a friend with a PG shotgun, try it out with the loads you intend to use, then decide on the set up.

JW. I agree on keeping the original stock around. You never know when you might want to return a firearm back to it's original condition.