Anyone use Mobil 1 ATF? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Anyone use Mobil 1 ATF?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Scratch,

We have been using it for almost 6 years at the Academy for the AR-15 Patrol Rifle Instructor Certification School. It is good stuff. Below find our formula. Go to an RC Shop or a Wal-Mart and get you a small gas can smaller the better.

Mix 1 Qt. Of 5 W 50 Mobile #1 Synthetic Motor Oil with 1/2 Quart of Mobile #1 Synthetic Transmission Fluid and you have the finest lube you can buy.
Just thinking out lowed! It also contains a small amount of detergent that seems to keep the carbon down and also makes the carbon easier to clean off. And that makes a whole Quart and a half of great lube at an inexpensive cost compared to a Quart and a half of normal gun lube $$$$$. If you are going to be using it in extreme cold in the 10 degrees or colder go to the same formula with a lower viscosity.

Thanks Sniper! I will add some Amsoil ATF synthetic to my synthetic oil and give it try on my rifles and handguns, but I will continue to use the Fluid Film for overall lube/coat surface protection. It has become my personal choice of lube/coat surface protection. Hell, I got everybody at the range using it now!

I don't foresee a contact reaction problem with the use of all three products used together, if so, y'all will be the first to know...besides me! YMMV

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
I look forward to your results. It doesn't wreak does it?
It does have a scent to it that is not normal, but it's not offensive. Plus it's easy to apply to all your parts in aerosol form. Big plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
So JD. I see you're up to another self aggrandizing test at your expense to demonstrate your awesomeness to we unfortunate mere mortals. I'm hotching to know the results but am too busy being offended that I didn't have the imagination to do it to appreciate it.
It's true. I just can't get enough attention so I spent some more money and decided to destroy some more stuff to test some products and put the facts out there for you folks to decide for yourself . That's the kind of self important attention whore I am.

JD

Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

New sig line, thanks JD...

Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
New sig line, thanks JD...
Hey, the truth hurts...LOL

If that is what everyone wants to believe, you will all be dealt with when I am King, that's all I have to say on this issue.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #15

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Hey, the truth hurts...LOL

If that is what everyone wants to believe, you will all be dealt with when I am King, that's all I have to say on this issue.
You mean you're not the King???

Old 01-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
You mean you're not the King???
So see all sorts of things I have talked about in the Bunker being implemented across the country??

JD

Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6734 Times on 3583 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
I know there are a lot of posts about this already & I've looked them up. I was thinking about using this stuff in my 590 when I get it. Is the action noticably smoother? I've heard Mobil 1 changed their specs, would that be an issue?
Personally I wouldn't use atf on any gun its flammable and cumbusts by heat alone. Had a tranny catch fire once cuz of a atf leak. Not worth the risk.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #18

Quote:
I look forward to your results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
So JD. I see you're up to another self aggrandizing test at your expense to demonstrate your awesomeness to we unfortunate mere mortals. I'm hotching to know the results but am too busy being offended that I didn't have the imagination to do it to appreciate it.
Okay, since you asked and freefall was kind enough to tie several threads together in one post, here is a little preview.

(1) Bucket with 4 gallons of water
(80) Ounces of Salt dissolved in the water
(1) Mora Knife
(1/Ea.) Plastic bag to get the knives to float and not sit on the bottom

Started on 1/1/2011. Shots from 01/09. 24 hour submersion in salt water with only one coating

Here is a shot of the "Control Knife" with no protection that has been submerged against a bone stock Mora not involved with the test.

And then a shot with an application of Fluid Film sprayed on a Mora that has been submerged the same time in the same type of bucket with the same amount of salt.

This is in 8 days of testing!!
salt-water-testing-028.jpg   salt-water-testing-034.jpg  

Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #19

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I know what you are up to, JD. Trying to see if it is worth a salvage operation of the wreckage from the "boating accident".

Old 01-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ATF actually works? I'm surprised. From a chemical standpoint, there are friction modifiers in ATf, both organic and sythetic, that one would think would not be helpful. Good to know it's working for you guys.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member