Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Anyone know what this is? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/anyone-know-what-65473/)

xcoreyyyx 05-31-2012 12:28 AM

Anyone know what this is?

5 Attachment(s)
I picked this up recently. I have yet to take it apart and it is definitely a wall mount. The inside of the barrel is pitted to hell and some of it even comes out in chunks. I have no idea what it is because there are no markings on it. Also, it has a brass backplate and a brass piece that is on the front grip. It also looks like someone custom engraved the stock too. Has anyone seen anything like it before?

Rick1967 05-31-2012 12:31 AM

I dont know what it is. But WOW I definately would NOT shoot it. You are right about that.

Chainfire 05-31-2012 12:33 AM

Can't help you with the maker, but it looks a wall hanger from here. There were scores of makers in the early part of the last century, some made very good working man's shotguns, some, not so good. I wouldn't consider shooting that one unless a good smith gave it a look-see.

m72law 05-31-2012 12:55 AM

Its sum kind of single shot-12/16/20/410ga shotgun??

Load it up.

Tie 30ft.or more string to trigger.

Cock it.

Turn back,while yanking on string:eek:

If all goes well,gun is in one peice & your not bleeding anywhere.

Do not repeat.

c3shooter 05-31-2012 01:37 AM

Remove the forearm, and detach the barrel. Then look UNDER the barrel for markings, and on the flat surfaces of the receiver (known as the water table) that are covered up by the barrel.

As far as shootability, from the photos, that is LONG in the past of that gun. Have the firing pin removed so that no one ever attempts that, and give it a decent retirement hanging above the fireplace.

xcoreyyyx 05-31-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 819678)
Its sum kind of single shot-12/16/20/410ga shotgun??

Load it up.

Tie 30ft.or more string to trigger.

Cock it.

Turn back,while yanking on string:eek:

If all goes well,gun is in one peice & your not bleeding anywhere.

Do not repeat.

I like your thinking dude xD this has got me lmfao right now. I think ill just retired it over the fireplace like someone else said. Also, I will be checking under the barrel for other markings and keeping this thread updated with what I find. Thanks for everyonse opinions.

Hawg 05-31-2012 02:16 AM

The stock is homemade and the forearm metal came off another gun. That looks like lead deposits in the barrel. It might actually clean up to have a decent bore.

hiwall 05-31-2012 04:43 AM

I don't think it is that old of a gun(judged only by the 2-bit extractor). I would guess 40 years or less.

westley 05-31-2012 04:51 AM

I belive that I have seen one before I cant be haundred present but I belive its a Remington

xcoreyyyx 05-31-2012 05:08 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Further investigation of it (disassembly of it and looking for small marks) has led me to break the gun for now. I took the stock off and pieces flew out of the back of the (what I call) trigger frame. Also, I did find a few marking on the gun which could have been seen without the dismantlement of the gun but oh well. Anyone have any further ideas on this? or how to put the gun back together? I have pictures of what flew out and what the inside of it looks like. One is slightly more bent than the other.

The markings I could make out are as follow:
On the top of the barrel is "onn USA" which I would make out to be Conn. USA.

On the trigger frame I can figure out something close to "ACME Model 189" I do not know if this is fully correct but it is either that or something quite close to that.

Also, from what I could tell the metal pieces that flew out did something about holding the hammer forward and possibly the trigger because now the hammer doesn't stay up. It is loose and falls backwards by itself.