Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Anyone hunt with 18.5 inch Mossberg 500?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone hunt with 18.5 inch Mossberg 500?

This question has been getting me good. Has anyone hunted with a 18 to 18.5 inch Mossberg Security 500 Shotgun (with regular stock on it)?

I took my 18.5 inch Mossberg 500 to an outdoor range recently and was surprised with it's distance. I feel like I could even hunt birds with it, however I haven't tested it skeet shooting yet.

I also noticed that when compared with my Remington 870 Security Shotgun, the Mossberg's Security Barrel has a tighter/smaller diameter than the Remington's. Is this a good sign that the Mossberg 18.5 incher would be alright for hunting because perhaps with the tighter barrel, the shot pattern won't spread too fast?

I'd like to here some opinions, but preferably from anyone that has successfully hunted with the Mossberg 500 18.5/18 inch barrel. I'm trying to get a piece of mind about this, because I have the nice stock, and plus; I'd like to feel like I can hunt with this shotgun without spending money on a new separate barrel.

I've asked the question about choke tubes already, like most other people have too. I don't think a choke tube would suffice as a good modification of the existing barrel I have (modifying an 18 inch barrel to a 20+ inch, ect.). Plus, it appears that I can't put a choke on it, because I believe I have to have a special barrel to be able to attach chokes. But please answer my initial question first!

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 AM   #2

If you're speaking in terms of velocity, barrel length is nowhere near as important as it is in a rifle. I’ve seen a few publications that state that a shotguns maximum velocity is met around the 20th inch of the barrel simply because shotgun rounds don't operate at anywhere near the pressure of rifle rounds.

I guess this would depend on what you are hunting. If you're slug hunting deer with an 18.5 inch barrel I would imagine it wouldn't have and dramatic performance decrease over something with a 30" inch barrel.

Now the shorter the barrel the quicker the shot pattern will spread. So if you’re hunting winged animals all you can do is test. Different shotguns pattern differently. You could take 2 870's with 26" barrels firing the same load and get several inches of variation in the shot pattern.

Try it out and see what you come up with. And hey if you have to go out and drop a few bucks on another barrel it's not the end of the world. Any investment in your shotgun is a good one.

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #3

Right on. I need to do some skeet shooting to truly test my shotgun out and/or try to do more research at the range.

Are there any suggestions on what I should look for when testing my shotgun performance? Like what patterns I should be seeing at what ranges for sufficient performance at hunting.

I'm planning on hunting crows, or small animals like rabbit, ect. I'm not looking at hunting ducks, migratory birds, ect. I might hunt upland birds, but most likely not (not without a dog).

Actually, what would be good for Grouse, Turkey, ect.?

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #4

Check this out, it may help.

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #5

Default had it.

I tried it some and killed few things. Definetely wont get close enough to a crow. I can't kill a crow will a modified choke. Probably tight enough to get some bird(dove,quail etc..) and definetely rabbit. But I ended up getting the mossberg field from Wallyworld for hunting after I had this gun. I do love the gun and think its great for home defense though. But just limited in range. Heck the field with 28"in barrel and 3 chokes is less than $230 at wally.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #6

I'll stick with my Mossberg 500 for now, but if Wally World has that deal you're talking about, Thunder, then I might as well pay only $230 for all that than $200 for only one barrel.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #7

Default yep

Just make sure they give you the extra 2 chokes. I was told by a couple employees that it didn't come with chokes. When he got the box out I saw them and it was almost like he tried to hide them. I grabbed them and put them in my bag. Its a steal for that price though and it really extends the range. It only has 1 barrel though (28in). To me that is just fine since I think I can use it the 1 time if ever I need it at home. I don't buy into the different gun for home defense anymore. But heck if you can afford them both go for it. Oh btw mossberg sells a different barrel with all 3 chokes for your gun. Its like $160 if I remember correct. Have to call them though.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #8

Default yes have done this

yes have hunted hogs in south texas where i live for several years with a mossberg 500 18.5 barrel it had an improved cylinder which means it is an open choke and it shot sabot slugs very well even out to 100yrds with just a front bead for sites,it also work well for quail in heavy cover over close working dogs and for dove that came in to water,so birds are ok at probablely 30 yrds or less..thats just how it worked for me...

Last edited by camooutlaw; 10-28-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #9

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I have used a winchester 1300 defender with no choke for ducks. It works ok. I just use a heavier 2 3/4 mini mag rio load or 3 inch magnum rio #4 shot.
Don't expect to knock down a squawker at more than 50 yards with it tho.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by camooutlaw View Post
yes have hunted hogs in south texas where i live for several years with a mossberg 500 18.5 barrel it had an improved cylinder which means it is an open choke and it shot sabot slugs very well even out to 100yrds with just a front bead for sites,
Cylinder bore guns are usually recommended for shooting slugs, but in some cases a modified choke barrel will give better accuracy with slugs. The choke helps stabilize the flight of the slug. Compared to practically any big game rifle bullet, shotgun slugs are not very accurate. They are a short range (60 yard or less) proposition at best. The ballistic coefficient and sectional density of shotgun slugs is pretty pitiful. The longer the shotgun barrel the better the accuracy. If possible, always use a rifle in preference to a slug gun for any kind of big game hunting.