Anyone help with my Saiga 12 Ejecting issue?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Anyone help with my Saiga 12 Ejecting issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone help with my Saiga 12 Ejecting issue?

I've only fired 2.75" low brass in my Saiga 12. However it only ejects part of the time.. Any suggestions? Can it be the ammo? I worked the action by hand a bunch and it always cycles correct.

Last edited by canebrake; 09-03-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If it where me I'd want to try a few different types of ammo before I would want to look at it as a problem in the weapon.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #3

Saiga 12 is a semi-auto shotgun. It reloads itself automatically by the energy of the fired load. It'll work better if you use High Brass Loads. My Remington 1100 will act the same way if I use standard load ammo.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #4

Default Different Ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Saiga 12 is a semi-auto shotgun. It reloads itself automatically by the energy of the fired load. It'll work better if you use High Brass Loads. My Remington 1100 will act the same way if I use standard load ammo.
You are right.. I used 3" high brass and it worked perfect. However, it will wreck my already wrecked shoulder..

Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #5

bizy, sorry to hear about your "wrecked shoulder". If you have health issues with your shoulder shotguns may not be for you. High Brass Loads do have more recoil compared to standard loads. A couple of things that might help you are a recoil pad, some after-market ones slip over the stock, and using 2 3/4" High Brass shells, instead of 3". Good Luck!!

Old 06-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
lkd

This is interesting, because at my last shotgun match (USPSA-sponsored), I definitely had problems with _non-brass_ loads. Much to my disappointment, I'm learning that the Saiga-12 can be VERY finicky. I will definitely switch to high brass next time around -- anybody have recommended brands that behave well in a Saiga-12?

One thing I also have are feeding problems. Sometimes a shell isn't being fed properly and it will jam and compress part of the crimp on the front -- which leaves me with a shell that must be manually ejected (and a pain to clear when you're on a timer). Anybody have this problem too? Can it be fixed, or is this just something to expect with 2 3/4" shells?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

My saiga works just fine with light loads. Does yours have the gas cut off valve? If not timed correctly, this could cause problems.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #8

My S12 tends to do that with cheap ammo ( cheap ammo= walmart green box remington brand) ive shot other walmart cheap brands and had no problems. IMO some of the cheap bulk wally type ammo is underpowered for semi auto shotguns.
Also make sure the gas valve is set to the light load setting

Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1897 Times on 1350 Posts
Likes Given: 2132

Default Cheap Ammo an Auto loaders

Why not go with a pump and avoid all the crap about bad ammo. At least your pump will still eject the spent shell. Besides I'lll take the pump over the auto any day WTSHTF!!! What is stove pipe jamming on an ak 47.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Why not go with a pump and avoid all the crap about bad ammo. At least your pump will still eject the spent shell. Besides I'lll take the pump over the auto any day WTSHTF!!! What is stove pipe jamming on an ak 47.

In a SHTF situation I don't plan on using bird shot. S12s only have a problem with low power/cheap ammo. There are gunsmiths that can fix the problem. its a simple fix.