Anybody used these?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Anybody used these?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anybody used these?

Federal vital-shok truball smoothbore rifled slugs? If so, How did they work for you? What were you shooting them out of? How was recoil? What kind of groupings did you have? All the good and or bad stuff one would want to know before buying some or not buying. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #2

Default More descriptive title line request

I'm pretty new here, but I'd like to make a request anyway. It would help me if the title line was sufficiently descriptive to let me decide whether it was worth my time investigating further. Thanks.

Howard
If it is go be, it is up to me!
Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Place your mouse pointer over the subject line of the post and you'll get a preview. See if that helps.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
DMC

I've shot them (12 Gauge), but haven't actually hunted with them. (I test a lot of slugs & other shotgun ammunition). Recoil is light compared to other rifled slug factory offerings, mainly because muzzle velocity is much lower with the Truball. (1,300 FPS advertised and 1,320 chronographed). Accuracy is no better than others in my shotguns, with one exception: It was measurably better out of a cylinder bore Remington barrel. Out of any choked barrel, not much difference. They will certainly do the job intended but, like most things, don't quite live up to manufacturers' hype. I wouldn't go out of my way to get them but would have no hesitation about using some.

DC

Old 11-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #5

Im comparing them mainly to the hollow point winchesters. How are the compared to the HP's?

Old 11-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
DMC

The only slug that Winchester currently markets as a "Hollow Point" is a sabot load for rifled barrels, not comparable to the Federal TrueBall. They have another, rifled, slug that looks kind of like a hollow point. It's a low-recoil load, less recoil than the Federal load. Downrange Ballistics are slightly poorer than Federal's due to a lower muzzle velocity. They also have a couple of other rifled slug loads that will flat tear your arm off if you shoot one out of a light shotgun. All have comparable accuracy when fired from the same gun, although the heavy Winchesters open up groups a little more than the light ones, or the Federals. That may be due to not wanting to pull the trigger on the 2nd or 3rd shot.

DC

Old 11-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #7

I have about 150 rounds of 12ga. 2 3/4in. 1oz. winchester super x rifled hollow point slugs. Whether they still make them or not im not sure but i do have them. They have them on cheaperthandirt.com for about bucks a box.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
DMC

OK, those are (advertised) 1,600 FPS, 1 ounce slugs. They're kind of an "old standby" load, mainly because they work. Accuracy is comparable to the Federal load you mentioned, recoil is considerably greater, downrange performance is markedly better.

That "hollow point" isn't going to contribute to any expansion - which you don't need anyway. You're already blowing almost a 3/4" hole in your target.

DC

Old 11-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #9

Yeah i noticed they don't really expand, but your right they also dont need to. I am going to go ahead and try some of the federals later this week. Thanks for your help