Any pistol grip pump actions with slam fire capability? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Any pistol grip pump actions with slam fire capability?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Missouribound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 777
Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I would never want a pistol grip shotgun, unless I could put it to my shoulder. I would rather aim the gun not spray and pray.
Pistol grips are OK..they have a purpose, in my mind anyway. With a shortened barrel they are highly manueverable in a hallway, and they are louder. But 2 or 3 shots fired and your hands is starting to feel it. Not exactly the right gun for wifey.
__________________
Missouribound is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #52
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,966
Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10698

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Axxe55, the next time you two are at the range have her fire 200 rounds of 556 at a target with your AR and then have her fire 200 rounds of full power 00 buck with the shotgun at a target. Towards the end of the practice session, ask her which cartridge she thinks she could fire the fastest into the target, if required to do so.

Apart from that Remington 00 buck (I've never purchased anything but Remington and Winchester) costs at least twice as much per case as 55 grain FMJ 556. Yes, I'm sure you can purchase cheaper ammo from somewhere. Yes, there are currently lots of people who have contributed to the shortage of 556 by buying ammo they can't or won't use. Between the two, in normal times, you need twice as much money to practice or train with 00 buck as with 556. You don't have to be very good at math to figure out which weapon is more economical to own and operate.

If you aren't using the same load for practice as HD, may I ask why? All the ammo I shoot in practice and training is the same stuff I will actually use for HD, or I won't buy it.

If your wife can't use one of her arms for some reason, does she have the strength and dexterity to operate the shotgun effectively with her remaining arm? Injury is a distinct possibility in any confrontation. I'm not sure how much your shotgun weighs, but my 870 weighs over nine pounds.

Admitting that my wife, 5'2" about 90-100 pounds or so is smaller than me at 5'10" 185 pounds, has shorter arms than me, and will never have my size or strength is not chauvinistic, it's just reality.
Lots of people practice with practice ammo. That's why they make it. Lots of people practice with handloads. Lots of people practice with the same ammo as they carry for SD/HD. Nothing wrong with any of that, though the latter choice would probably be very expensive. Lots of people will use .38 Special to practice with when they use .357 Magnum to carry. Nothing wrong with that.

Have your wife fire 200 rounds of 12 gauge HD and then 200 rounds of 5.56 and I bet you are going to be sleeping on the couch. When I hit the range I shoot the shotgun at the E-Trap or the manual traps. Usually it is fewer than 200 rounds per visit. My wife rarely goes to the range and when she does she fires her favorite gun and that's it. I know she knows how to operate pretty much everything in the house and doesn't care to practice with it.

Its her choice. I'm not gonna force her to do anything (not that she would let me).
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #53
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Axxe55, the next time you two are at the range have her fire 200 rounds of 556 at a target with your AR and then have her fire 200 rounds of full power 00 buck with the shotgun at a target. Towards the end of the practice session, ask her which cartridge she thinks she could fire the fastest into the target, if required to do so.

Apart from that Remington 00 buck (I've never purchased anything but Remington and Winchester) costs at least twice as much per case as 55 grain FMJ 556. Yes, I'm sure you can purchase cheaper ammo from somewhere. Yes, there are currently lots of people who have contributed to the shortage of 556 by buying ammo they can't or won't use. Between the two, in normal times, you need twice as much money to practice or train with 00 buck as with 556. You don't have to be very good at math to figure out which weapon is more economical to own and operate.

If you aren't using the same load for practice as HD, may I ask why? All the ammo I shoot in practice and training is the same stuff I will actually use for HD, or I won't buy it.

If your wife can't use one of her arms for some reason, does she have the strength and dexterity to operate the shotgun effectively with her remaining arm? Injury is a distinct possibility in any confrontation. I'm not sure how much your shotgun weighs, but my 870 weighs over nine pounds.

Admitting that my wife, 5'2" about 90-100 pounds or so is smaller than me at 5'10" 185 pounds, has shorter arms than me, and will never have my size or strength is not chauvinistic, it's just reality.
my wife has no desire to shoot my AR. she doesn't care for it. she really just doesn't care for rifles in general. the only rifle i own she likes to shoot is the Marlin M60.

as far as shooting 200 rounds of 12 ga. i wouldn't expend that many in SD situation, so why the need to to practice with that many? we shoot on a regualr basis and do so right here at the house here i have my own gun range. so there is always an opportunity to practice. we generally will both shoot at least a box, of the same type we use for SD usage.

my SD is very simplistic. a Winchester SXP Defender w/ a 18.5" barrel, 5 in the tube and five more in a carrier on the buttstock. simple, effective and lightweight.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,683
Liked 1096 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Default

Vikingdad and Axxe55, the shotgun is obviously the right choice for you and yours and nothing I say will dissuade you from that opinion.

Vikingdad, that was kinda the point. When I take my 870 to my happy place, I generally put at least a case through it. My friends all look at me like I'm crazy while I'm shooting it and my wife isn't happy about the amount of money I spend every month for ammo, but she realizes that our firearms are expensive and poorly designed clubs without the ammo and trigger time. Actually, I don't think she cares too much because every time I go to Academy or Wally World she asks me if I remembered to buy ammo. I generally buy the pistol and carbine ammo online, but our neighborhood stores usually have 12 gauge. Sure, I could easily pay for another car every month but what fun would that be? In any event, I can't remember the last time I put less than 200 rounds through any gun at the range.

Axxe55, your lightweight shotgun weighs as much as one of our Colt 6720's with 1/3 the number of cartridges on board and 1/6 as many in the magazine. I'm not sure how having more cartridges in the magazine can be a bad thing in a home invasion, but to each his own.

If you have to expend 200 cartridges of any sort in a gunfight you're more likely in a war than a HD situation. That was not the point. If you firing 25 shotshells is an equivalent amount practice to me firing 200 cartridges through one of my AR-15's, I'm not sure I follow your logic.

My wife and I use our AR's and Glocks once a week. My shotgun sees one range trip per month because it's just too expensive to shoot every week. The solution is simple, MOAR 556!

__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #55
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Vikingdad and Axxe55, the shotgun is obviously the right choice for you and yours and nothing I say will dissuade you from that opinion.

Vikingdad, that was kinda the point. When I take my 870 to my happy place, I generally put at least a case through it. My friends all look at me like I'm crazy while I'm shooting it and my wife isn't happy about the amount of money I spend every month for ammo, but she realizes that our firearms are expensive and poorly designed clubs without the ammo and trigger time. Actually, I don't think she cares too much because every time I go to Academy or Wally World she asks me if I remembered to buy ammo. I generally buy the pistol and carbine ammo online, but our neighborhood stores usually have 12 gauge. Sure, I could easily pay for another car every month but what fun would that be? In any event, I can't remember the last time I put less than 200 rounds through any gun at the range.

Axxe55, your lightweight shotgun weighs as much as one of our Colt 6720's with 1/3 the number of cartridges on board and 1/6 as many in the magazine. I'm not sure how having more cartridges in the magazine can be a bad thing in a home invasion, but to each his own.

If you have to expend 200 cartridges of any sort in a gunfight you're more likely in a war than a HD situation. That was not the point. If you firing 25 shotshells is an equivalent amount practice to me firing 200 cartridges through one of my AR-15's, I'm not sure I follow your logic.

My wife and I use our AR's and Glocks once a week. My shotgun sees one range trip per month because it's just too expensive to shoot every week. The solution is simple, MOAR 556!
KBD, i don't have to justify or defend to you or anyone else my reasoning for what i teach or don't teach my wife. i am also very confident in her abilities and also have complete trust in her to be able to handle herself in a SD situation. i know her strengths and weakness', you don't. i know what she can or can't do, you don't. please refrain from thinking all women are weak and frail creatures. you do huge disrespect to them when you do. i know many who would put you in your place very quickly and have you apologising very fast.

make all the suggestions you want, but me mindful, there are quite a few women here on this forum who might be in total disagreement with them. personally i haave to say i agree with some of your ideas and suggestions but not all of them. i know what works for my wife and i. this ain't my first rodeo, and i didn't just wake up yesterday. i do a lot of my own informal testing so i know what works for us. i have complete faith in my choices and that's all that matters. bottom line.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #56
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,966
Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10698

Default

kbd512, I must bow to your superior training and abilities.


Now go away.

__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 AM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Basically, each job requires different tools. The same goes for guns. Some people need a pistol grip to maneuver around their house, some need an ar, some need a pistol. Its partly personal preference, what you are comfortable with and what you cam control. I would never use an ar as in home defense. I would use an ar outside of my home though. It is hard to so exactly what you will needed but its up to you to plan and prepare what you feel is necessary.

__________________
95sniper is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #58
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,966
Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10698

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Basically, each job requires different tools. The same goes for guns. Some people need a pistol grip to maneuver around their house, some need an ar, some need a pistol. Its partly personal preference, what you are comfortable with and what you cam control. I would never use an ar as in home defense. I would use an ar outside of my home though. It is hard to so exactly what you will needed but its up to you to plan and prepare what you feel is necessary.
And what you have.

Personally I use a pistol as my primary HD- the gun I grab first. I also have a couple of 12 gauge shottys ready at hand. I don't keep any of my rifles ready to rock. That's what works for me. YMMV
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Missouribound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 777
Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Basically, each job requires different tools. The same goes for guns. Some people need a pistol grip to maneuver around their house, some need an ar, some need a pistol. Its partly personal preference, what you are comfortable with and what you cam control. I would never use an ar as in home defense. I would use an ar outside of my home though. It is hard to so exactly what you will needed but its up to you to plan and prepare what you feel is necessary.
Apparently you haven't been listening to the vice president...Forrest....Forrest Biden. "Buy a shotgun......buy a shotgun" "Just fire two shots from the porch...that'll scare away any intruder"
__________________
Missouribound is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gonzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,649
Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Default Slam Firing

In defense of slam firing - on the range - its a lot of fun ! I have a 22 pump and once I show people how to do it, they can't seem to get enough. Is it accurate ? In general, No but w practice you can control it.

Only negative I can see is it burns through a lot of ammo and 22 LR is getting hard to find. Luckily, my pump shoots shorts as well.

Shotguns:
I learned how to slam fire w the old trench sweeper and w timing the pump, you can empty that tube rather quickly as well. (But I w Not attempt in pistol grip configuration.)

__________________
Gonzilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Useing one brand of primers can cause slam fires in free floating fire pins? Nickwashere Ammunition & Reloading 13 05-18-2012 08:50 PM
How to fire a pistol grip shotgun? Twisted4000 General Shotgun Discussion 8 09-28-2011 11:33 PM
Compare functionality, etc of Mossberg 500 with pistol grip vs pistol grip with ext fastline General Shotgun Discussion 1 01-31-2011 02:21 AM
.22 Pump Actions JiroZero713 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 30 11-29-2010 12:49 AM
Pistol grip on a 12 guage pump??? igordog General Shotgun Discussion 12 10-23-2010 08:35 AM



Newest Threads