Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Any pistol grip pump actions with slam fire capability?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,304
Liked 19970 Times on 11353 Posts
Likes Given: 50362

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I think a semi auto would for your needs, but a pump is usually cheaper. A mossberg 500 is know for being easily modified. You don't need slam fire with well placed shots. If you actually aim the gun at the intended target you should take care of the problem quickly. By the way you do have to aim with a shotgun just not pinpoint accuracy. Practice quickly drawing the weapon up and firing.
that's what i like about a shotgun for HD use. yes it still needs to be aimed, but there is a higher margin of error with a shotgun. any hit with a shotgun at close range is going to do damage even if it's not center mass.
__________________
Axxe55 is online now  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #32
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,490
Liked 7791 Times on 4500 Posts
Likes Given: 10050

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
that's what i like about a shotgun for HD use. yes it still needs to be aimed, but there is a higher margin of error with a shotgun. any hit with a shotgun at close range is going to do damage even if it's not center mass.
Keep in mind that the spread on your shot is very limited in the distances you typically would be shooting at inside your house (or at least my house!), but regardless of this fact a small spread is going to cover a much larger area than a single bullet from a handgun will at any range.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is online now  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jrl78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 64
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Absolutely, you don't need to be a dead eye with a shotgun. Just aim and pull the trigger.

__________________
jrl78 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,304
Liked 19970 Times on 11353 Posts
Likes Given: 50362

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Keep in mind that the spread on your shot is very limited in the distances you typically would be shooting at inside your house (or at least my house!), but regardless of this fact a small spread is going to cover a much larger area than a single bullet from a handgun will at any range.
i have tested mine at 30 feet which would be, the most possible of long shots with my home and the vast majority of the pattern is concentrated at 6-8 inches. at 15 or less, it would be a little tighter. a hit anywhere in the torso region should put a BG out of commision or at least take the fight out of him. even if i missed center mass and only hit him in the arm or shoulder, it's still going to do much damage. yes shotguns do need to be aimed, and if it's dark and awoken in the middle of the night, i like the shotgun for it's lesser need of precision than a pistol or rifle.
__________________
Axxe55 is online now  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #35
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,490
Liked 7791 Times on 4500 Posts
Likes Given: 10050

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i have tested mine at 30 feet which would be, the most possible of long shots with my home and the vast majority of the pattern is concentrated at 6-8 inches. at 15 or less, it would be a little tighter. a hit anywhere in the torso region should put a BG out of commision or at least take the fight out of him. even if i missed center mass and only hit him in the arm or shoulder, it's still going to do much damage. yes shotguns do need to be aimed, and if it's dark and awoken in the middle of the night, i like the shotgun for it's lesser need of precision than a pistol or rifle.
Yup. six or eight inches spread is much more area than less than a half inch at any range.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is online now  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,304
Liked 19970 Times on 11353 Posts
Likes Given: 50362

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yup. six or eight inches spread is much more area than less than a half inch at any range.
i agree! mine is a Winchester SXP Defender with the 18.5" barrel and a five round tube. nothing fancy, but will definately ruin the BG's day for sure!
__________________
Axxe55 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,526
Liked 947 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

I think that the posters advocating using shotguns with a pistol grip only, shotguns capable of firing upon locking of the action after cycling with the trigger kept depressed, and posters advocating that you need not aim with your shotgun need to go to the range and actually try some of what they think works well for HD.

Fact - All shooters who can shoot a shotgun can shoot a shotgun better with a normal stock attached. I'm not aware of any shooter, much less shooters who are smaller in stature and physically weaker than the average man, who can shoot something with a pistol grip only better than with a pistol grip and buttstock combination.

Fact - The majority of 12 gauge shotshells loaded with 00 buckshot spread about an inch for every yard of travel downrange using a cylinder bore barrel (no choke and no modification of the bore or muzzle to cause the shot to spread faster). That means a 7 inch pattern at 7 yards. Unless you have a considerably sized house, you are going to have to aim and you are going to need fast and accurate hits on target. Given that that's the case, if you really need speed and accuracy, get a lighter recoiling semi-automatic shotgun in 20 gauge or .410 gauge if you have problems with 12 gauge recoil.

Fact - Controlling a pump action shotgun that "slam fires", as some of the posters put it, requires even more strength and dexterity to operate effectively. If you want fast, that's what autoloaders are for. If you're intent on getting a shotgun, an autoloader is the way to go.

My advice:

Get your wife a large dog so that she has warning of someone attempting to break into your house.

Make sure your wife keeps her cell phone on her at all times. Although it's possible to take care of all comers by yourself with sufficient training and advanced warning of an impending confrontation, it's always nice to have armed friends.

Give your wife a Glock 19 pistol, a small hand held flashlight, a small folding knife, and a lightweight or pencil barrel AR-15 (Colt, BCM, or DD). Put SureFire X300 weapon lights on both. Put an Aimpoint or EoTech red dot on the carbine. Make sure the carbine is sighted in at 25 yards or less. With the pistol, she'll have a 1.5 pound handgun with twice as many cartridges as an 18 inch barreled shotgun. With the carbine, she'll have a 6.5 pound rifle with four times as many cartridges as an 18 inch barreled shotgun. The shotguns suitable for defense will weigh at least a pound more than the AR and recoil with any of them will be far greater than with the AR.

You said your wife is an experienced shooter, so I assume she's attended a carbine course and a home defense course. If not, I'd make that a priority. Tools are not a replacement for skill and experience. Hand to hand combat training probably isn't a bad idea, either.

Assuming your wife is a real life Annie Oakley, none of that hardware makes a dime's worth of difference if she doesn't have it on her person when a criminal decides to force his way into your house. Small, lightweight, high capacity pistols like a Glock 19, or even a Glock 26, are the way to go. If you are anti-Glock, there's the S&W M&P. The AR vs shotgun thing should be obvious for people who are smaller and more recoil sensitive.

Seriously, where do people come up with this stuff?

__________________
kbd512 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Great post KBD512. a lot of info there for anyone wishing to take a stand against an intruder. I believe the main thing is to know what you are using. Get out to a range or a friends house where you can use the weapon and be used to it. Learn safety first. I have friends come out all the time. I have enough room here to load, walk out my back door and shoot. I have been wanting to put up a range here for a long time and with my neighbors help I might get it done this spring. He is a retired police captain and has a front end loader.

__________________
kd5exp is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5exp
Great post KBD512. a lot of info there for anyone wishing to take a stand against an intruder. I believe the main thing is to know what you are using. Get out to a range or a friends house where you can use the weapon and be used to it. Learn safety first. I have friends come out all the time. I have enough room here to load, walk out my back door and shoot. I have been wanting to put up a range here for a long time and with my neighbors help I might get it done this spring. He is a retired police captain and has a front end loader.
Wish I could shoot at my house. theres not really any places to shoot in Akron, Ohio
__________________
bdaniel9892 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #40
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,490
Liked 7791 Times on 4500 Posts
Likes Given: 10050

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I think that the posters advocating using shotguns with a pistol grip only, shotguns capable of firing upon locking of the action after cycling with the trigger kept depressed, and posters advocating that you need not aim with your shotgun need to go to the range and actually try some of what they think works well for HD.

Fact - All shooters who can shoot a shotgun can shoot a shotgun better with a normal stock attached. I'm not aware of any shooter, much less shooters who are smaller in stature and physically weaker than the average man, who can shoot something with a pistol grip only better than with a pistol grip and buttstock combination.

Fact - The majority of 12 gauge shotshells loaded with 00 buckshot spread about an inch for every yard of travel downrange using a cylinder bore barrel (no choke and no modification of the bore or muzzle to cause the shot to spread faster). That means a 7 inch pattern at 7 yards. Unless you have a considerably sized house, you are going to have to aim and you are going to need fast and accurate hits on target. Given that that's the case, if you really need speed and accuracy, get a lighter recoiling semi-automatic shotgun in 20 gauge or .410 gauge if you have problems with 12 gauge recoil.

Fact - Controlling a pump action shotgun that "slam fires", as some of the posters put it, requires even more strength and dexterity to operate effectively. If you want fast, that's what autoloaders are for. If you're intent on getting a shotgun, an autoloader is the way to go.

My advice:

Get your wife a large dog so that she has warning of someone attempting to break into your house.

Make sure your wife keeps her cell phone on her at all times. Although it's possible to take care of all comers by yourself with sufficient training and advanced warning of an impending confrontation, it's always nice to have armed friends.

Give your wife a Glock 19 pistol, a small hand held flashlight, a small folding knife, and a lightweight or pencil barrel AR-15 (Colt, BCM, or DD). Put SureFire X300 weapon lights on both. Put an Aimpoint or EoTech red dot on the carbine. Make sure the carbine is sighted in at 25 yards or less. With the pistol, she'll have a 1.5 pound handgun with twice as many cartridges as an 18 inch barreled shotgun. With the carbine, she'll have a 6.5 pound rifle with four times as many cartridges as an 18 inch barreled shotgun. The shotguns suitable for defense will weigh at least a pound more than the AR and recoil with any of them will be far greater than with the AR.

You said your wife is an experienced shooter, so I assume she's attended a carbine course and a home defense course. If not, I'd make that a priority. Tools are not a replacement for skill and experience. Hand to hand combat training probably isn't a bad idea, either.

Assuming your wife is a real life Annie Oakley, none of that hardware makes a dime's worth of difference if she doesn't have it on her person when a criminal decides to force his way into your house. Small, lightweight, high capacity pistols like a Glock 19, or even a Glock 26, are the way to go. If you are anti-Glock, there's the S&W M&P. The AR vs shotgun thing should be obvious for people who are smaller and more recoil sensitive.

Seriously, where do people come up with this stuff?
None of the responses advocated what the OP was asking for. None. Well, maybe one or two sarcastic responses. Did you even read through them before getting all uppity?
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Useing one brand of primers can cause slam fires in free floating fire pins? Nickwashere Ammunition & Reloading 13 05-18-2012 08:50 PM
How to fire a pistol grip shotgun? Twisted4000 General Shotgun Discussion 8 09-28-2011 11:33 PM
Compare functionality, etc of Mossberg 500 with pistol grip vs pistol grip with ext fastline General Shotgun Discussion 1 01-31-2011 02:21 AM
.22 Pump Actions JiroZero713 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 30 11-29-2010 12:49 AM
Pistol grip on a 12 guage pump??? igordog General Shotgun Discussion 12 10-23-2010 08:35 AM