Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > any advice to help me improve my shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another tip. Pattern your gun with loads from different makers. I have L C Smith side-by-side that I am lucky to hit the ground with using Winchester but have no problem with Remington or Federal. My O/U is exactly the opposite. Go figure.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

to give a little information on the chokes ive used.

Hunter's Specialties H.S. Strut Undertaker Turkey Choke Tubes

This is the only choke tube I have, My brother told me I should get one since thats the one that I was using before and it holds a great pattern. Im very pleased with it, but like I said, mine is still brand new, I picked it up Friday.

The other choke that I borrowed from another guy at the shoots just to try out was the Primos ported Jelly Head.

Primos Jelly Head Choke Tubes

to be perfectly honest, both of the above mentioned tubes are .665 and the H.S. Strut Undertaker is much better as far as pattern goes. I wasnt real happy with the way the Jelly Head held its pattern. and for 44.99 I dont really think its worth it. I prefer the 19.99 Undertaker from H.S.

I wasn't so pleased with the Primos choke mentioned above but I thought about trying the Tight Wad

Primos Tightwad Choke Tube

it is .660, which is a little bit tighter than the 2 chokes above. but its only 24.99 which isnt bad. its an acceptable price in my opinion.

any other opinions are welcome.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
Another tip. Pattern your gun with loads from different makers. I have L C Smith side-by-side that I am lucky to hit the ground with using Winchester but have no problem with Remington or Federal. My O/U is exactly the opposite. Go figure.
yea I will give this a shot. I know they use federal at the shoots, other than that I havent shot.

when I say im new to shooting shotguns, literally 3 weeks ago was my very first time.