Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   any advice to help me improve my shooting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/any-advice-help-me-improve-my-shooting-20534/)

ItsmeShane 11-29-2009 12:43 AM

any advice to help me improve my shooting?

I'm new to shooting shotguns. Ive been going to turkey shoots lately, and sometimes I do good and sometimes I do really bad. I don't know what i'm doing wrong, but any advice that will help me shoot good consistently would be awesome. Thanks.

c3shooter 11-29-2009 01:58 AM

Well, a turkey shoot is a bit of a crap shoot, in that EXACTLY where that pellet hits is, to an extent, up to the whims of the Smoothbore Gods. However- do you know just where your shotgun pattens in relation to the point of aim- at the distance you are shooting? Some are higher or lower than you expect- some left or right. Have seen my dad walk away from a shoot with 9 turkeys- he was using a sxs Fox- and knew EXACTLY where that gun patterned. Secondly, unlike wing shooting, where you are swinging on a moving target- Turkey shoot targets don't move. So.... How are you shooting? Standing offhand- with all the wobbles THAT involves- or kneeling- a LOT more stable position.

Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

cpttango30 11-29-2009 02:31 AM

you really are at the mercy of the smooth bore gods. You do need to pattern your gun.
I have seen kids come in with a mossberg 500 and win 3 out of 8 rounds in one night and the guys with $2000 custom shotguns aren't hitting crap. At mine when it rains the guns hit harder (meaning that they put more shot on taget).

ItsmeShane 11-29-2009 11:53 AM

somebody suggested to get a 4x4 piece of cardboard to pattern it. that and somebody else told me I need to get some shells through it before it really starts shooting good. My brother is trying to help me out with that. one of his buddies has a pit that they shoot in all the time. going to try to get down there sometime. the little bit of free time I have id spend driving around here to a range or something where I can get some practice.

ItsmeShane 11-29-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 191724)
Well, a turkey shoot is a bit of a crap shoot, in that EXACTLY where that pellet hits is, to an extent, up to the whims of the Smoothbore Gods. However- do you know just where your shotgun pattens in relation to the point of aim- at the distance you are shooting? Some are higher or lower than you expect- some left or right. Have seen my dad walk away from a shoot with 9 turkeys- he was using a sxs Fox- and knew EXACTLY where that gun patterned. Secondly, unlike wing shooting, where you are swinging on a moving target- Turkey shoot targets don't move. So.... How are you shooting? Standing offhand- with all the wobbles THAT involves- or kneeling- a LOT more stable position.

Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

the way they have the range set up for the shoots it is pretty much a stand and shoot freehand or rest your hand on the post and rest the barrel on your thumb. they have that plastic orange construction net type stuff in front of the posts but nothing really to rest on other than the posts.

IGETEVEN 11-29-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsmeShane (Post 191808)
somebody suggested to get a 4x4 piece of cardboard to pattern it. that and somebody else told me I need to get some shells through it before it really starts shooting good. My brother is trying to help me out with that. one of his buddies has a pit that they shoot in all the time. going to try to get down there sometime. the little bit of free time I have id spend driving around here to a range or something where I can get some practice.

More shooting experience with your shotty and pattern imprint documentaion will help greatly as you have already stated. Also, more work on your stand and stabilization, kneeling if it helps, for more support of barrel. The more you shoot though, the stabilization will improve.

More shooting and a intimate relation with your shotty will make you proficient with your shotty's mannerisms to target and especially, you to it. ;)

Jack

ItsmeShane 11-29-2009 01:23 PM

I don't have my own yet, I use my brothers 870. but I hope to get my own around Christmas time. I want the same gun just because i'm already familiar with it, and its a great gun, and its in my price range. By Christmas time, the turkey shoots will be over for the year except for a few here and there, so I do plan on patterning it and get familiar with it, get a lot of shells through it. so im shooting better by next year when the turkey shoots are every weekend.

Ive noticed that if I aim in the general area between the center and bottom of the target, then It shoots good, Im not sure if the gun shoots high, or if its me.

Walley 11-29-2009 01:52 PM

First pattern your gun and after that practice, practice and practice. Remember no two guns shoot alike so get to know yours like you know your brother or lover.

skullcrusher 11-29-2009 03:00 PM

Can you use different choke tubes? I would suggest patterning with a couple of different chokes. Maybe try an extra full.

ItsmeShane 11-29-2009 03:11 PM

I am using a choke tube, I have one so far. I bought one because a buddy of mine has it and ive used it before. his holds tighter though its the very same choke, I guess that goes back to needing to get some shells through it and get it broke in before it gets good.