Antique english double barrel markings?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Antique english double barrel markings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Antique english double barrel markings?

Hi guys!...my first post. I have just purchased an antique english double barrel William Moore & Grey shotgun serial 172J. It has the number "1" inlaid in what appears to be gold in two places, one on the breakdown lever and the other on the barrels, see pics. On the bottom side the word "SAFE" is stamped or inlaid (I can"t tell). Also, between the barrels it says "William Moore & Grey, Rifle & Gun Makers by appointment to the Royal Family, 43 Old Bold St., London W. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry about the image, for some reason I can't get it to load, will keep trying!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Some info on the makers of your gun, and a link to the UK forum on those guns. The name was frequently "borrowed" for Belgian lookalikes. Check the water table of your shotgun for markings. On the link, scroll halfway down the page, below the picture of the Hamilton rifle. Sounds like a very nice shotgun.
Newsletter 12-07

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.