Am I too small for my favorite shotgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Am I too small for my favorite shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Agreed with everyone--mod the gun to fit you. However, you have been shooting it for 5 years
with no problems?

I suspect that when the gun malfunctioned, you got the full recoil of the gun with none of the
recoil softening that gas operated guns are known for. You did some damage. Continuing
to hammer away at the doves probably isn't a good plan. Might be time to visit the doctor.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Vikingdad, I really appreciate your input. My dad is actually a retired gunsmith and I didn't want to upset him by telling him the gun had hurt me. But, it was swollen today so it was obvious. I know he has had that gun along time and I was going to just buy a new one rather than modify that one. Well, today he told me he was cutting off the original stock to fit me (the original is prettier), measured my LOP, and ordered a new recoil pad for it. There is only a hard butt plate on it now. He even called me later and asked if I wanted a pink recoil pad instead. I knew he could modify it perfectly for me, but I didn't want him to have to tamper with his gun just because I like it. It's always seemed a little long and I had to swing out and then up to get it on my shoulder but I didn't realize it could hurt me. I'm gonna have to practice shooting right handed the rest of the week for the shoot on Saturday now......even if it feels a little better by then I don't want to make it worse.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Also,
Bluez,
I have a 20 ga and I hate it. I have tried my brothers 16 ga and it has more kick than the 12 ga. As a very general rule you may be partly right, but each make and model varies in recoil. I also worked as a personal trainer/fitness club manager and never read in any of my books that a mans bones and tendons are "tougher" than a woman. (IT TAKES 160 PSI OF PRESSURE TO BREAK A HUMAN BONE. MALE OR FEMALE.) Stronger, yes, absolutely. But you don't have to be able to bench press 200 lbs to hold a shotgun properly. However, I appreciate your input all the same.

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #13

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Wendy,

try this:

grab your collarbone with your thumb and trigger finger and feel the thickness.
Then try the same on a husband or bf.

The collarbone diameter will be about double, which means about 4x the force is needed to break the bone.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #14

Liked 131 Times on 101 Posts

Just curious Wendy, is that 20 you hate a Remington 1100 LT-20? I am an 1100 lover and the LT-20 is a favorite of mine. I shoot it for almost everything but ducks anymore.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1586 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 548

Small people can handle a 12 ga with low recoil ammo. Most people that shoot a lot reload their own shotshells. You can make a load that is about the same as a 20 ga or you can buy low recoil shells if you do not roll your own. A shotgun that fits is a great beginning and it's not that terribly expensive to have a stock cut down. Once I decide I am going to keep a shotgun I get it fitted, even my Mossberg 500 has been fitted.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #16

Liked 2187 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Since your dad is a retired gunsmith, he could also take a look at your gas system. The rings in there may need a change. This could help with the recoil just by having ghe gas system working properly.

The other possibility is that by having the incorrect length of pull a tthe time of injury, and a extreme upward shot could have put most of the force on your collar bone or on the acromioclavicular joint, instead of in the pocket of the shoulder. This could have caused a bone contusion or partial AC joint separation (kind of like a bad sprain. It could explain the swelling, pain and partial loss of mobility. It could set you up for easy reinjury for the next couple of weeks or so. If it is getting better pretty rapidly, then it is porbably not fo major concern, and not as serious an injury as those listed above. But if the pain is pretty persistent, you may want to lay off for a bit, and get it checked out by a doctor.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. Just a Navy Independent Duty Corpsman (Submarines). So, most of my advice includes advice to get things checked by a doctor. Also, it is not normally my style to give advice without seeing an injury in person. So, really this is just me suggesting not ignoring the problem if your pain persists. Shoulders are a pretty complex joint, and they are pretty important to a lot of day to day activities, so you want any injury to heal right, and heal quickly.

Good luck on the shotgun and getting better.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Also consider purchasing a good shoulder recoil pad. I work with ladies your size who have to shoot our full size range 870s for qualification and the ones who buy these always get better scores and almost never bruise up. I've seen them on amazon in the $30 range.

image-409409278.jpg

(Not saying get THIS particular shoulder pad. Just including it as an example so you'd be able to see what I was talking about. I don't know what brand the ladies at work use.)

They make quite a number of different pads, even a few that slip under your bra strap so nobody can tell if you're wearing one.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-09-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys and girls. My brother changed out the stock on his 16 ga and let me try it out yesterday. It fit me much better. My dad changed the rings and drooled out the holes in the barrel on his 12 ga a couple weeks ago for me. I think the major problem was the length of the stock. He should have that fixed for me next week. Yay! I'm gonna use the 16 ga this weekend but having to shoot right handed till my should heals should be interesting. And thanks for the advise about the recoil pads. My dad found a nice one online.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8602

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendydelane76 View Post
Thanks guys and girls. My brother changed out the stock on his 16 ga and let me try it out yesterday. It fit me much better. My dad changed the rings and drooled out the holes in the barrel on his 12 ga a couple weeks ago for me. I think the major problem was the length of the stock. He should have that fixed for me next week. Yay! I'm gonna use the 16 ga this weekend but having to shoot right handed till my should heals should be interesting. And thanks for the advise about the recoil pads. My dad found a nice one online.
I'm glad it's all working out. Happy hunting.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1586 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendydelane76 View Post
You can find a gun that fits you I have no doubt. My niece is tiny. She can tack at 108 (her plus the saddle and helmet). She shoots a lot when she has time. She likes the 12" hogue overmolded stock for shooting slugs and buckshot. She gets her wood stocks fitted to her. Most gunsmiths that do stockwork are not that expensive. They have tools that make cutting a stock down and fitting a recoil pad a quick job.

The first gun I had fitted I spent more on renting a trial gun and paying my gunsmiths skeet tab than I spent on labor. You don't have to haul a gunsmith to a skeet range to get a gun fitted. Most gunsmiths have an area where you can shoot a static target and the gunsmith will get all the info he needs to fit the stock to you.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato