Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Am I too small for my favorite shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/am-i-too-small-my-favorite-shotgun-96725/)

wendydelane76 09-08-2013 05:37 AM

Am I too small for my favorite shotgun

I'm new on here and just looking for some advice or opinions. I have been shooting the same shotgun for the last five here during every dove, and turkey season. I am 5'2, 103 lbs and I shoot a Remington 1100. I have never had any trouble, injury, or anything other than a slight bruise on opening day of the season. This year I test shot 2 boxes of shells that morning because the gun had started hanging up and not kicking the shells out at the end of the season last year. Of course, it hung up with me and did not open at all the kick the shell out. I'm not sure why but it felt like a mule kicked me and was bruised and sore the following week. I hunted the day it happened and it did not seem like there was a serious problem Today I used the same shotgun (my dad fixed it), and was fine most of the day. I shot several times back to back almost straight up in the air. Within an hour I was in excruciating pain and could not even lift the shotgun or raise my are to drive home. Has anyone ever heard of a person damaging their shoulder with a shotgun? The recoil is not that bad on an 1100 and has never hurt me before. Could it be a positioning issue or a LOP issue? It has not been modified and I know the stock is a little to long.

Vikingdad 09-08-2013 06:35 AM

You should have it fitted for you. Too long of a stock can cause problems like you describe, but outside of that you may have just had a bad mount on it for one shot and then every subsequent shot was beating you up even more.

I just Googled "shotgun Fitting" and came up with this video. Does a good job of explaining it. More often than not people will get length of pull adjusted and stop there (and you can do that and have good results), but the rest of it is also important for a good fit.

How old are you? Are you still growing?

JW357 09-08-2013 08:05 AM

Wish I could help with your shotgun issue. But it sounds like Vikingdad is on the right track.

If you're gonna stick around on the forums please go by the introduction thread and say hi.

Hi, by the way. :)

winds-of-change 09-08-2013 10:30 AM

Do you have a recoil pad on that shotgun? Is it cleaned regularly. I, too, am short and I think having the correct LOP makes a HUGE difference in shooting properly. I agree with Vikingdad. If the LOP is too long, you aren't going to be able to shoulder the shotgun properly and it's reaaaally gonna hurt. Have it fitted to you at a gunsmith. I want you to enjoy that favorite shotgun. Or consider buying a youth model shotgun. I have a youth model Henry Lever. It fits me perfectly.

By the way, I'm glad you joined us here. Do go introduce yourself in the Introduction thread. I'm a woman, too, and if I can help you out in getting around on the forum, let me know. I'm glad to help.

WebleyFosbery38 09-08-2013 11:01 AM

Agree with the others, the weapons gotta be fitted to your frame and unless its custom, its probably designed for a 6' Human. A nice shock pad helps also!

Also your possibly correct about a full sized 12 gauge being a bit more than you may want to use often for your frame. A lighter semi 12 can slam a shooters shoulder pretty hard even if your stock weld and butt placement postures are perfect. Firing a box of high brass in my Ithaca featherweight makes my shoulder sore just thinking of it (not a Semi)! On the other hand, I can fire my grandads Model 11 semi all day long and not feel it later, Im 6'1", (only if I can hold it up all day long, shes a heavy sonavagun). A Model 1100, 16 gauge might be more fun and less pain.

Welcome Wendy, glad to have you here on the FTF!

Virginian 09-08-2013 11:44 AM

Welcome Wendy. Is it a 12 gauge or a 20? Does it have a recoil pad? Have you had an experienced shotgunner watch you shoot it? Unless you are extremely lanky, I would guess the LOP is too long for you. If you have a pretty walnut stock, you might want to buy an adjustable length of pull synthetic stock and try different lengths until you decide what fits you best, and then get your walnut stock cut with a good recoil pad installed and sell the synthetic one. Lots of people have become exceptional shots without a professional stock fitting. A stock without a recoil pad can hurt if you fire the gun with it not properly positioned, even an 1100. You might look here:
http://www.ebay.com/dsc/Shotgun-/73954/i.html?_sop=10&_nkw=remington+1100+stock&_frs=1
Good luck.

wendydelane76 09-08-2013 12:46 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.
Vikingdad, to answer your question, I am not still growing. I wish! I'm 36 and have been this same size since I was about 14. LOL! I did not want to mess with the original stock on the gun since it is old, but my dad has found a spare stock in his old gun shop and is going to shorten and change it out for me. He said he may try weighting the stock with lead also. I don't have a problem with it being too heavy now, but he thinks it may be too front heavy for me and adding weight to the back may balance.

bluez 09-08-2013 01:06 PM

I know the shotgun subforum is full of quality shotgun fans and valuable advice has been given and I (an AR guy) learned a lot in this thread.

BUT my 2 cents... 12 gauge is a LOT of recoil...in order to be proficient one has to be comfortable enough to shoot it a lot which is diffcult in high recoil wepons for all but the larger males.

Too much recoil in it to a 100 lbs person, even if you never had a problem before.
To top things off from the OP's screename and the height/weight I deduce the OP is female.

That means not just less mass to absorb shock but all bones/tendons are not as "heavy duty" as with a male.
AND as a female you lack the protective effects high levels testosterone have on reducing injuries and healing them quicker.

I know modern american culture has conditioned us to ignore the physical realities when it comes to genders and there will always be a story of ( such and champion is female bla bla) but IMHO a high recoil weapon like a 12 gauge shotgun may not be the right choice for the OP at all.

Fot example I never even allow women and children to fire my 50 Beowulf whose recoil is roughly the same, ,ok maybe slightly higher but not much, as I worry about broken collar bones etc.

(i'm gonna run and hide now before the horders with pitchforks come after me ..:o )

Vikingdad 09-08-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendydelane76 (Post 1363214)
Thanks everyone for the input.
Vikingdad, to answer your question, I am not still growing. I wish! I'm 36 and have been this same size since I was about 14. LOL! I did not want to mess with the original stock on the gun since it is old, but my dad has found a spare stock in his old gun shop and is going to shorten and change it out for me. He said he may try weighting the stock with lead also. I don't have a problem with it being too heavy now, but he thinks it may be too front heavy for me and adding weight to the back may balance.

Wendy,
At your age I would go ahead and have the gun properly fitted with whatever stock came with it. If this is the shotgun you will be primarily using it needs to fit you properly. Don't underestimate the importance of this. I understand the tendency to not want to alter the original equipment, but that is much easier than altering your body to properly fit the shotgun, plus, that is why they make stocks available in the aftermarket. Weighting might also help, but if it feels balanced to you then be careful with that. Too much weight on a long day will hurt as much as too much recoil.

The next thing I would recommend is reloading. That way you can custom tailor your loads to what you are comfortable shooting.

Hope this helps!

Virginian 09-08-2013 05:04 PM

Sounds like your Dad is on the right track to me. The interchangeability of Remington stocks is a blessing. I swapped stocks on my LT20 Skeet gun when my daughters were first learning.