advise purchasing shotgun and ammo - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > advise purchasing shotgun and ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I just don't understand using slugs against a human unless they are wearing HEAVY clothing. One of the advantages to a shotgun in a less-than-perfect shooting situation (dark, sleepy, possibly moving about or covered in fecal matter) is it's ability to spread it's impact area beyond the bore of the weapon.
People Like This 
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #12

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

perhaps to avoid any errant pellets flying about?

Old 03-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Things to consider on your 12 Gauge shotgun choice:

Barrel length and does it have the ability to use different size chokes?

Most home defense shotguns have around 18"-20" barrels and no ability to change the chokes. No big deal if only for home defense.

I think Mossberg sells a shotgun combo with interchangeable barrels, While home, have the 18" and then change it out to the 28" when you go to the range and shoot trap (or go hunting).

Ammo:

Bird shot: (7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2, & 9) Can be had with 7/8oz to 1 1/8oz loads. Spreads out quite a bit past 20 yards or so, depending on your choke. These has less recoil than the shells below. The heavier the load, the more recoil is felt.

4 Buck, 000, & 00 buck: more precise at close range and will penetrate most walls. Has a pretty good kick, but can be bought in lower recoil, but the power is obviously down than with the full power stuff.

Slugs: Usually 1 ounce,maybe some heavier. These will penetrate just about anything nearby. Very good kick with these. Seen some try to hit steel targets at 100 yards and succeed.

Specialty Shells: There are some ammo companies that make rounds that may have a small slug AND a few 00 shot, for home defense.

I went out to my shop and took these pictures of a 00 buck, a slug, Winchester PDX1, a Bottle of 00 buckshot, and some 8 1/2 shot in my measure.

Hope this helps out!
img_20140307_153322_006.jpg   img_20140307_153313_685.jpg  
bigjim Likes This 
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

first of all look at what is available. my suggestions for a HD/SD shotgun would be either a Mossberg 500, a Remington Model 870, or the Winchester SXP. i would look for one with an 18-20" barrel for strictly HD/SD purposes.

if you have the means or opportunity to try out any of these shotguns, do so. try out different loads to get a feel for the recoil.

when you decide on what shotgun you are going to buy, using cheaper target ammo for practice is okay, but you also need to practice with whatever load you choose for HD/SD usage as well. you need to know and understand where it's POI is. and yes, shotguns do need to be aimed, just that they don't require quite the precision in aiming that a pistol rifle need in order to hit.

i would also make your practice distances the same as the longest shot within your home. what it patterns at 40-50 yards is irrelevent. personally, for my SD/HD shotgun and it's loads, i really don't care what it patterns like after about 10-15 yards.

my choice of HD/SD shotgun is a Winchester SXP Defender with an 18.5" barrel and tube that holds five rounds, and carrier on the buttstock that holds another five rounds. the tube carries #4 birdshot and the buttstock carrier has five rounds of OO buckshot if needed. many have berated me and criticised my choice for using #4 birdshot, but what i have is complete confidence in my load, my shotgun and myself. i know for a fact how much damage #4 birdshot does at 10 yards. it will do massive damage to whatever i hit with it. but i also practice with mine on regular basis. which brings up another point. many people go and buy a shotgun and a box of shells and call it done and stick it in a corner. practice, practice, practice until you are quite familiar with that shotgun. don't assume that you will remember how it works or where it hits when fired, or assume it will even work when the trigger is pulled. when some BG is breaking in, is not the time to find these things out. regular practice sessions to keep yourself proficient are needed and regular cleaning and maintanance as well.
motorcyclenut Likes This 
Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #15

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I own a few shotguns, but the one I have for home defense is a Mossberg 500
First of all, the aftermarket and factory accessories are endless, and you can make that gun anything you want it to be...and convert it back and forth for other uses. Secondly, I use a skeet load for home defense. I do not want to shoot through walls, appliances, my vehicles just because some a**hole decides to invade my home. At short distances, bird shot can do a great deal of damage and has the added benefit of a manageable recoil which my wife can also handle.
I have the original barrel, with chokes for clays, an 18" barrel for HD and a pistol grip if I choose to use it. It makes it a bit easier to swing in the hallways but it greatly increases felt recoil.
And the 500 is not an expensive gun, but it's damn reliable.
People Like This 
Old 03-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6669 Times on 3549 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I just don't understand using slugs against a human unless they are wearing HEAVY clothing. One of the advantages to a shotgun in a less-than-perfect shooting situation (dark, sleepy, possibly moving about or covered in fecal matter) is it's ability to spread it's impact area beyond the bore of the weapon.
Police sometimes keep a few slug rounds handy in case of need to shoot through cars or buildings. Not really ideal for hd.

As for birdshot acting like a slug... utter wishful thinking. The only time this would be remotely true is if the muzzle is directly in contact with the goblin when the trigger is pulled. Goblins get shot with birdshot all the time. They either don't notice it continue the attack or the notice they have been shot with substanrd loading and run off.

00 buck is the best hd/sd round in existence.

If you can bust clays with target skeet loads you can bust a goblin with 00buck at sd/hd ranges. Practice with skeet trap loads shoot a box of buck shot now and then for familiarization.

When a goblin is shot with birdshot they may or may not stop. When they are shot with buck shot they WILL stop. Your choice. It is however, a no-brainer.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 03-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #17

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I mix #4 buck, #00 buck and slugs. I may need to defend the hallway. I might be out in the yard at longer distances or even dealing with some idiot chasing me in a car.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I mix #4 buck, #00 buck and slugs. I may need to defend the hallway. I might be out in the yard at longer distances or even dealing with some idiot chasing me in a car.
well when you attempt to engage a fleeing BG at longer distances, i hope you have a good attorney on retainer. because you just possibly moved into the area that they may end up charging you with attempted murder. at that point they can determine that it's no longer self defence anymore since the threat has left.
bigjim Likes This 
Old 03-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #19

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well when you attempt to engage a fleeing BG at longer distances, i hope you have a good attorney on retainer. because you just possibly moved into the area that they may end up charging you with attempted murder. at that point they can determine that it's no longer self defence anymore since the threat has left.

This is why I said that just about anything would be fine. At 5 to 7 yards, Self-Defense distances, the shot will not spread that much.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2223 Times on 1317 Posts
Likes Given: 1151

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams556 View Post
From what I have read, basically any load will work.

Even birdshot acts similar to a slug at typical HD ranges.
100% wrong!!!
Bird shot is 'BIRD SHOT'. It will not give you good results in a human target.
Actual shooting and testing have proven this EVERYTIME.
The smallest shot you can count on to defeat heavy clothing and penetrate to the vitals is BB shot. The smallest shot I would recommend you use, if you are concerned about over penetration of walls, is #2 shot.
When considering what shot size to use in a shot gun you MUST consider the effect of only ONE of the projectiles in the load on the intended target.

Reference the 'gun'. If you have not already bought it I would suggest you give a H&R Partner strong consideration. It is basically an 870 Rem but for around $200.

Last edited by JimRau; 03-10-2014 at 04:36 PM.
motorcyclenut Likes This