Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Advice on shotgun for mother?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #41
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

If she is not going to train with any gun you get her, introducing a gun to her household could have dire consequences.

Get her a dog, get her a big button cell phone, get her ADT, get her an alarm ball she can switch on, but don't get her something to hurt herself or another family member, because she does not know how to use it.

If she will train, and I mean really train, that would surprise me.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #42

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

As a short women I'm 5' and I hated guns until I shot a pistol about 2 years ago. Now I have an extensive selection and do competitive trap shooting with a muzzleloader shotgun and also duck hunt. I have several shotguns and I would suggest from my own experience I would do a semi auto and not a side by side. 20 gauge is prob good for her if she is not used to shooting. I started with a 12 gauge but you don't want her to get too much recoil and not want to shoot. If you are insisting on a double barrel I would do an over/ under otherwise just do a single barrel. I would not do a pump. They are good I have one but I do get agitated from time to time because every once in a while the spent shell gets hung. I prefer my semi auto or black powder gun. Check browning for a semi auto. I have the Maxus but it is a little pricey so maybe look into their youth models. Sorry about the book but I wanted you to have good info coming from a woman's prospective

Old 08-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvititoe1
As a short women I'm 5' and I hated guns until I shot a pistol about 2 years ago. Now I have an extensive selection and do competitive trap shooting with a muzzleloader shotgun and also duck hunt. I have several shotguns and I would suggest from my own experience I would do a semi auto and not a side by side. 20 gauge is prob good for her if she is not used to shooting. I started with a 12 gauge but you don't want her to get too much recoil and not want to shoot. If you are insisting on a double barrel I would do an over/ under otherwise just do a single barrel. I would not do a pump. They are good I have one but I do get agitated from time to time because every once in a while the spent shell gets hung. I prefer my semi auto or black powder gun. Check browning for a semi auto. I have the Maxus but it is a little pricey so maybe look into their youth models. Sorry about the book but I wanted you to have good info coming from a woman's prospective
I appreciate the response. So why do you say O/U instead of a side by side?

Another vote for the semi, I see. Let me ask you this - in your honest opinion, is a semi-auto shotgun easy for a beginner to operate with minimal practice time? Genuinely curious

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #44

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Another vote for the semi, I see. Let me ask you this - in your honest opinion, is a semi-auto shotgun easy for a beginner to operate with minimal practice time? Genuinely curious
I think for someone starting out the o/u is a little easier to hit the target with. I know you are not supposed to aim but you do have to get sighted in and when doing that sometimes it is easier with a single barrel than having a side by side. I have both and I'm glad I started with the single and then moved to side by side. Also the reason for semi is if you want to get her interested in shooting shotgun and she starts with a pump and she doesn't hold it right to where the spent shells eject and it gets hung she will get aggravated and not want to shoot and you don't want that. You want a gun that cycles smoothly. I don't now how much you want to spend but I got the browning and had it fitted to me then had a nice limb saver put on. It wasn't hat much. It is a 12 gauge 28" barrel. It has nearly no recoil. Just because you get a youth stock doesn't mean it will fit her. If it doesn't fit her perfect and she does try to shoot and misses that will also cause her to not want to shoot.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #45
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2696 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

My Wife's only exp. with any Shotgun was as a kid with her Dad & Brothers on her dad's .22LR/.410 and .243/12Ga. Combos. When we bought the Mossberg SA-20 My wife said "I'm not gonna shoot it, so don't say your buying it for me to use"....

Well a year later and every range trip "what your not taking the 20???" At this point, If Defecation hit Oscillation, I'd put that in her hands before handing her a Rifle unless she had my Mini-14 and I had one of my Springfield's......She's also DEAD On at 50 Yards with the Rossi .410/45LC carbine...

Last week some "cooter boys" were giving her a hard time over a disabled spot(yeah,..I really wanna see a guy in an F-350 with two steps and a Disabled permit!!!) and he was going into his truck for his "rack em shack em" and my wife just said "The DIFFERENCE IS I ALREADY HAVE MINE OUT!!!!" good thing I wasn't there. (scene could have gone like..."Now Honey, remember what our shooting instructor told us! Never point a Gun at anything you don't plan on Destroying("BANG goes the SA-20,..hiss goes Cooter boy's Front tire on his pickup from a Herter's SD round with #0 & #2 shot.....") Just saying....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*