Advice on shotgun for mother? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Advice on shotgun for mother?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #31
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Thanks, you two. That's the kind of first -hand experience I'm hoping for.

To the idea about the Judge. Again, I don't like the idea of a Judge for her. Its basically not gonna happen.
Just an added Aside: My Mom Hated Guns(I always said "why did you marry a Soldier/Cop then??) but the Night someone tried to break into her Apt. Less then a month before she was to move, she remembered EXACTLY where my Dad's Off Duty .38 was...
she walked to the front door and said REAL LOUD "I may only be 5'1" but I was a cop's wife for 30+ years! I have a Gun and it's pointing at where i think your BALLS are on the other side of the door...." The Hammering on our lockplate stopped at that point....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:

To the idea about the Judge. Again, I don't like the idea of a Judge for her. Its basically not gonna happen.
Sorry, I thought i had posted my thoughts on the Judge in this thread earlier. Turns out I was in a different thread. My bad. Anyway, here's some of my thoughts on the Judge:

Quote:
I've thought about it. But I just don't like the concept that much. Or the math. Here's an example.

A 3" 000 buckshot load of .410 has 5 pellets inside. Unless I'm mistaken, the pellets are .36" in diameter. 9mm bullets are .355" approximately in diameter. So with a 3" .410 I'm essentially shooting 5 shots at one time of 9mm. Accuracy isn't guaranteed, and neither is all 5 pellets connecting with the bad guy. Recoil is going to be sharper than a full sized 9mm handgun. The Judge has a 5 shot capacity. So in a way it's kinda like shooting 25 rounds of 9mm in only 5 shots. I guess from that perspective it would be ok, if accuracy was guaranteed. But it's not. Some, or maybe a lot of them depending on the distance, aren't even going to connect with the bad guy. Also, those pellets aren't hollow point. I'd rather shoot a full sized 9mm with a 10 round magazine loaded with hollow points.

Just not my cup of tea. It would be more a novelty gun.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #33
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2657 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 14690

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Just an added Aside: My Mom Hated Guns(I always said "why did you marry a Soldier/Cop then??) but the Night someone tried to break into her Apt. Less then a month before she was to move, she remembered EXACTLY where my Dad's Off Duty .38 was...
she walked to the front door and said REAL LOUD "I may only be 5'1" but I was a cop's wife for 30+ years! I have a Gun and it's pointing at where i think your BALLS are on the other side of the door...." The Hammering on our lockplate stopped at that point....
ROTFLMAO! Reminds me of target shooting with my mom and dad when we lived in NC. Dad and I were tearing up the center mass on a couple of the old BG targets, the ones whee the BG is holding the revolver in a cup and saucer hold, at 7 yards. Mom, for some strange reason, kept hitting about a foot low!

Folks always wondered why I would have much rather dealt with my dad when he was pizzed off. All I can say is, they were not on the range that day........

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #34

Liked 164 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:

Interesting about the recoil tidbit. I feel like a .410's recoil is perceived differently than a .44 Magnum's, though? Being that one is a handgun and one has a butt stock.

A semi auto pistol is basically out of the question. Too complicated of use, in my opinion.

Not a bodyguard, Because I would want something more substantial for her. If I decide revolver, which I haven't ruled out, I'm thinking maybe a Ruger SP101 or something of the sort. Mostly because of the weight, for reducing felt recoil.
Great gun and you can always shoot 38s in her!! If the full magnum is to hot for her!! I would defiantly do revolver though!! Best of luck!!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

Best of luck!!
Thanks brother.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses and advice.

All things considered, my view hasn't changed much. I'm still leaning towards the 20ga, but am also considering the .410.

Right now I'd say its about tied between the side-by-side and the semi-automatic shotgun. I understand the inherent advantages in the semi, and the simplicity of use in the double barrel. Maybe 51% towards the side-by-side and 49% for the semi. A pump is basically out of the question because I wouldn't want my mother to short-shuck it when she needs it most.

A revolver is still a possibility. As I said, something with a good weight in probably .357 Magnum. As much as I love wheel guns, I would not go that route for her if she preferred it to the shotgun.

A semi-auto handgun is not really on the table. Too many things that could go wrong for her, given her gap in shooting. Going for simplicity here.

I have several months before I'm going to be home and therefore thinking about doing this. So plenty of time to make up my mind. As much as I don't like her not having a gun in her house... I can't really teach her how to use it until I'm back there, though.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #37

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I'd like to thank everyone for their responses and advice.

All things considered, my view hasn't changed much. I'm still leaning towards the 20ga, but am also considering the .410.

Right now I'd say its about tied between the side-by-side and the semi-automatic shotgun. I understand the inherent advantages in the semi, and the simplicity of use in the double barrel. Maybe 51% towards the side-by-side and 49% for the semi. A pump is basically out of the question because I wouldn't want my mother to short-shuck it when she needs it most.

A revolver is still a possibility. As I said, something with a good weight in probably .357 Magnum. As much as I love wheel guns, I would not go that route for her if she preferred it to the shotgun.

A semi-auto handgun is not really on the table. Too many things that could go wrong for her, given her gap in shooting. Going for simplicity here.

I have several months before I'm going to be home and therefore thinking about doing this. So plenty of time to make up my mind. As much as I don't like her not having a gun in her house... I can't really teach her how to use it until I'm back there, though.

Again, thanks for all the help.

If she is going to have problems with a semi auto handgun a semi auto shotgun is not going to be any easier to handle. If she will have problems clearing a jam in a pistol the shotgun is going to be more difficult to clear. You can't just drop the magazine on a shotgun and bull the slide back to clear a jam. I would either go with a revolver or a double barrel.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Unless she has the mindset to kill someone breaking into her house, she might do better with better security of the house. Deadbolts, alarms, motion sensor lights, a loud dog? just a thought???
Threetango Likes This 
Old 08-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #39

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Regarding the side by side. My wife has had some neck issues in the past and it's difficult for her to extend a full size shotgun out for any length of time without it being uncomfortable and painful. I have a 18" barrel for my Mossberg, and that is a bit easier for her because it keeps the weight closer to her body. I would think that a coachgun would have the same weight distribution, and I am considering buying one for her to shoot for just that reason. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

If she is going to have problems with a semi auto handgun a semi auto shotgun is not going to be any easier to handle. If she will have problems clearing a jam in a pistol the shotgun is going to be more difficult to clear. You can't just drop the magazine on a shotgun and bull the slide back to clear a jam. I would either go with a revolver or a double barrel.
That makes sense. Al the more reason why I'm leading to a double barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
Unless she has the mindset to kill someone breaking into her house, she might do better with better security of the house. Deadbolts, alarms, motion sensor lights, a loud dog? just a thought???
Yeah I've thought of that. She's going to sell her current house soon, so maybe after she moves she can get some added security. She's had dogs ntil very recently, but she's pretty allergic to them so I doubt she will want anymore.

The shotgun would partially be a deterrent, in a way. She cold shoot at someone, miss, and it would still scare most people into leaving.

But then again, maybe she would be able to have the mindset to actually shoot someone? I'm not sure about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound
Regarding the side by side. My wife has had some neck issues in the past and it's difficult for her to extend a full size shotgun out for any length of time without it being uncomfortable and painful. I have a 18" barrel for my Mossberg, and that is a bit easier for her because it keeps the weight closer to her body. I would think that a coachgun would have the same weight distribution, and I am considering buying one for her to shoot for just that reason. Just my 2 cents.
I Ike the coach gun idea. I've actually seen some decently priced around where I live. But I'm not gonna be buying one, if I do at all, until I'm back in Ohio for a spell.