Advice on shotgun for mother?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Advice on shotgun for mother?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Thinking about buying my mom a shotgun strictly for home defense. She's not much of a gun person. She's not against them, just limited experience in recent years using them.

She's small, about 5'4" at the most. No more than 150 lbs.

Because of her limited experience recently, and small size, I'm thinking maybe a 20ga youth model side by side?

Honestly I really don't know much about shotguns. I don't know much about chokes, lengths of pull, etc. This will be a gift so taking her to a gun store and trying some out is basically out of the question.

Thoughts? Mostly I'm concerned with the size of the gun and the design. Is side by side not the best choice? I'm going for simplicity and ease of use. I doubt she will practice much with it. So I want something she can intuitively pick up and know how to use. I'm thinking 20ga for recoil reduction considering her small size.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 08-06-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

a 20 gauge would do it. If her length of pull is short a youth model 870 would do the trick. My father in law uses one for turkeys. He tags out every year. Decent ammo and it will be plenty of gun to keep the home fires safe

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
a 20 gauge would do it. If her length of pull is short a youth model 870 would do the trick. My father in law uses one for turkeys. He tags out every year. Decent ammo and it will be plenty of gun to keep the home fires safe
Thanks drum, that's basically in line with what I was thinking.

Quick response!

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If it's a mother in law you can get a double barrel..one going each way...I'll be here all week!!!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #5

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

A .410 pump with wood stock would be heavy,

but would negate a lot of recoil.

Might I recommend an autoloader in .32 caliber?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
If it's a mother in law you can get a double barrel..one going each way...I'll be here all week!!!
Lol. No it's my OWN mother. For my MIL I bought an M&P9. But she hasn't gotten it yet. It is replacing her Glock. she picked it out

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
A .410 pump with wood stock would be heavy,

but would negate a lot of recoil.

Might I recommend an autoloader in .32 caliber?
I've never shot a .410 and I'm sure it would be "enough" for the intended purpose, and definitely better than the baseball bat she currently keeps near the front door... But I just can't shake the feeling its not quite enough.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 690

The 410's best load is 000 buck and it has a lot of penetration. The 20 gauge would work quite well. Most common defense load is #3 buck 20 pellets. You might look at a youth model like a Mossberg SA20 Bantam semi auto. I always worry about an inexperienced shooter short stroking a pump. Dont reject a double. They are short, fast and 2 very quick shots. Easy to load and unload.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #9

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

I've never shot a .410 and I'm sure it would be "enough" for the intended purpose, and definitely better than the baseball bat she currently keeps near the front door... But I just can't shake the feeling its not quite enough.
Know there is self defense ammo out there got the 410. Intended for the judge pistol, but a little shotgun would do great with it too.

But whether it's a .410 or a 12 gauge, at in home range (15 feet and closer) there is not much spread and most hunting ammo will do in the lower numbers.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Thinking about buying my mom a shotgun strictly for home defense. She's not much of a gun person. She's not against them, just limited experience in recent years using them.

She's small, about 5'4" at the most. No more than 150 lbs.

Because of her limited experience recently, and small size, I'm thinking maybe a 20ga youth model side by side?

Honestly I really don't know much about shotguns. I don't know much about chokes, lengths of pull, etc. This will be a gift so taking her to a gun store and trying some out is basically out of the question.

Thoughts? Mostly I'm concerned with the size of the gun and the design. Is side by side not the best choice? I'm going for simplicity and ease of use. I doubt she will practice much with it. So I want something she can intuitively pick up and know how to use. I'm thinking 20ga for recoil reduction considering her small size.
Is there anything I'm missing?
Has she ever expressed any interest in owning a shotgun? You mention that it's unlikely that she would go out & shoot it. While shotguns are pretty simple to use, they can be... a bit much as a first firearm.
Honestly, for "non-gun people" who want a SD gun, I generally steer them toward a medium frame .357 mag revolver (K frame S&W, for instance). Especially for those who will place in a drawer and forget it until they hear a bump in the night. They are the original "point & click" interface. If the user is recoil sensitive, .38 Special JHP ammo will work just fine for most threats. Though, recoil sensitivity can be dealt with with some training and practice.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?