Advice needed on selling a shotgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Advice needed on selling a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1968 Times on 1035 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I see guns go up on Craigslist all the time. Usually one or two every couple of days.

I'd put it up on there and see if you get a hit on it. Hit up the local gun stores if you have anybody that you deal with regularly. They might put some cash in your pocket, knowing that you'll be back to do business with them in the future.
You sure about that???

craigslist | about > prohibited items

See line 3...maybe you're not in the US? I don't know where the other side of yonder is...

Old 12-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #12

Liked 1030 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 277

I also see people post guns on Craigslist. Yes they are prohibited but they stay on for a day or two so everyone who wants to contact you to buy can do so before it is removed. I would never do so but it not like they will throw you in jail for it. You CAN use armslist.com. It is a free guns listing service.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #13

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBear
Hi guys, I need a little extra cash for Christmas and I am considering selling one of my shotguns. It's my first time selling a firearm so I want you advice.

The gun is a Remington 870 Marine Magnum, 12 gauge, nickel finish. The guns been lightly used and well maintained. I paid $700 for it about 2 years ago.

Here's the question. I am really hoping to sell it locally to avoid shipping and other headaches. Where should I go? Local gun store? Classifieds? I know Craigslist does not allow firearms. Is there another online option like that?

And also, for the experts, what do you think is a fair price for it?

Thanks for all the help!
Figure on close to half of purchase price is most of what people will spend on used guns remember that its only worth what someone will pay so half yo 2/3 retail

Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #14

I usually don't want to sell my things like my guns can I suggest setting your self up a Christmas club with your bank soon so you can have a few dollars for next year I hate buying something like a gun or tool and getting half what I payed for it later I just assume keep it

Old 12-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #15

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbirdguy
I usually don't want to sell my things like my guns can I suggest setting your self up a Christmas club with your bank soon so you can have a few dollars for next year I hate buying something like a gun or tool and getting half what I payed for it later I just assume keep it
Very true no sense in takin a hard cut on selling price like u have to these days

Old 12-11-2011, 03:45 AM   #16

Liked 359 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
You sure about that???

craigslist | about > prohibited items

See line 3...maybe you're not in the US? I don't know where the other side of yonder is...
I'm in Illinois. I see them on Craigslist all the time. I know they are prohibited but people still list them. Look in sporting goods. They usually survive until someone reports them and the ad gets taken down. If the right person sees the ad in the hours it is up, the gun will get sold.

Apparently selling gun parts on Craigslist is ok. I saw a Ruger .40 recently that made it several days. The seller was selling the parts for the pistol but since they were pretty attached to each other they would have to be bought in one lot. He included 4 pictures with a different part of the gun in each picture. The whole thing added up to $400.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 AM   #17

Liked 1968 Times on 1035 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I'm in Illinois. I see them on Craigslist all the time. I know they are prohibited but people still list them. Look in sporting goods. They usually survive until someone reports them and the ad gets taken down. If the right person sees the ad in the hours it is up, the gun will get sold.

Apparently selling gun parts on Craigslist is ok. I saw a Ruger .40 recently that made it several days. The seller was selling the parts for the pistol but since they were pretty attached to each other they would have to be bought in one lot. He included 4 pictures with a different part of the gun in each picture. The whole thing added up to $400.
Yes, that's interesting...I learn something every day...never seen any myself but apparently it happens...

Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22397 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i see them advertised on craigslist all the time too. usually they get flagged by the people who frequent craigslist as there are just too many ads for them to police and edit out. i've seen them last a few hours to a few days, usually in the sporting goods or barter sections.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #19

Liked 231 Times on 172 Posts

Hard to beat GunBroker in my book. That's where people looking for guns look. I have yet to list anything that didn't go fairly quickly, but I did do my homework and had reasonable expectations. I have also bought several. You can ship a long gun thru the Post Office yourself, to an FFL holder. Accept ONLY a Postal Money Order as payment. There are a slew of people running scams thru PayPal based on contacts I have gotten trying to sell items on Craigslist, primarily on high dollar items.