Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Advice needed on selling a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Advice needed on selling a shotgun

Hi guys, I need a little extra cash for Christmas and I am considering selling one of my shotguns. It's my first time selling a firearm so I want you advice.

The gun is a Remington 870 Marine Magnum, 12 gauge, nickel finish. The guns been lightly used and well maintained. I paid $700 for it about 2 years ago.

Here's the question. I am really hoping to sell it locally to avoid shipping and other headaches. Where should I go? Local gun store? Classifieds? I know Craigslist does not allow firearms. Is there another online option like that?

And also, for the experts, what do you think is a fair price for it?

Thanks for all the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I see many people in my area use the local classifieds. Some have more success than others, usually depends on how much they're asking for a particular gun. Like the guy I've seen asking 1200 for a GLOCK 19... It could have been the most souped up competition GLOCK ever, but it just said in the ad... GLOCK 19. His ad ran for a few months.

Can't help you with the value, but once you figure a good selling price, just make sure you give a good description and why you think it's worth what you end up asking for it.

Also, make sure you know your local laws about private sales.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I see many people in my area use the local classifieds. Some have more success than others, usually depends on how much they're asking for a particular gun. Like the guy I've seen asking 1200 for a GLOCK 19... It could have been the most souped up competition GLOCK ever, but it just said in the ad... GLOCK 19. His ad ran for a few months.

Can't help you with the value, but once you figure a good selling price, just make sure you give a good description and why you think it's worth what you end up asking for it.

Also, make sure you know your local laws about private sales.
Great advice. I'll see what I can dig up on the local laws.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I see Bud's gun shop has them for $637 with free shipping. Also on Gunbroker.com there are many for about $600 but none are selling. One on there is currently selling at $421. Just to give you some idea at the selling prices.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19939 Times on 11331 Posts
Likes Given: 50257

another option would to be see if any of the the LGS's in your area allow consignment sales. mine does ans he handles all the FFL paperwork too. if this is an option for you, he would probably be able to give advise on a good price to ask for it and with them taking care of the FFL paperwork would be keeping everything nice and legal.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #6

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Here's the link to FTF's classified section, you might get lucky and find a buyer in your state. I think you have to have a certain amount of posts to sell here as well, 25 maybe? Good luck!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/classifieds/

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19939 Times on 11331 Posts
Likes Given: 50257

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Here's the link to FTF's classified section, you might get lucky and find a buyer in your state. I think you have to have a certain amount of posts to sell here as well, 25 maybe? Good luck!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/classifieds/
vincent, i think it is 25 posts minimum before you can post to the clasiffieds, unless they changed it when they changed up the classified section. might check with Notdku about it.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #8

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Either way, it doesn't take much to hit 25 posts. That rule is really only to keep people from dropping in, posting a classified, and the disappearing never to be heard from again.

It's seems to me that it's just to make sure the poster has the intention of at least sticking around long enough to sell whatever it is they're posting.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I see guns go up on Craigslist all the time. Usually one or two every couple of days.

I'd put it up on there and see if you get a hit on it. Hit up the local gun stores if you have anybody that you deal with regularly. They might put some cash in your pocket, knowing that you'll be back to do business with them in the future.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #10

You guys rock. Thanks for all the advice. I had no idea there was a classified section! And I respect the 25 post requirement. I'm pretty active on an automotive forum and we are constantly plagued by spammers. Assuming I haven't already sold it, I'll post the shotgun up when I reach 25 posts.

Thanks guys!