You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

AA12 Fully Auto Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Retied Army First Sgt.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7516 Times on 2684 Posts
Likes Given: 2071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Like JonM says, shotguns have a limited role. They are great breach and trench guns in war. Up close and personal. Trench guns were a thing of WW1. Did you know that the Germans complained about US using shotguns against them? They thought it was barbaric. Well, anyways, most battles in Afghanistan are hundreds of meters away. Shotguns are useless for most of the battles with the Taliban. Cool grownup toy though....
Believe me, I have experience with breaching and the shotgun is used quite often in Afghanistan and other combat areas. Not for distance battles but searching( entering) dwellings and clearing windows and stairwells and they definitely are not useless but an asset for up close work as all fighting is not "long distance".
I have back ground in this in Mogadishu for the same purpose and would have been very happy to have one these AA12's instead of the Winchester pump I carried.
Nothing personal towards anyone but it's amazing how many experts there are who have never seen the elephant and you can throw up all the stats and numbers you want. My point was only to show what an improvement this weapon would be, not to say it was the best.
http://www.nellaware.com/blog/seeing-the-elephant.html

AA12 Fully Auto Shotgun - General Shotgun Discussion

Position Determines Perspective

Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #12

Liked 259 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That thing would suck to carry. Plus all the ammo for it? No thanks. An M4 packs 240 rounds a lot nicer than that does.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3871 Times on 2308 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetango View Post
Believe me, I have experience with breaching and the shotgun is used quite often in Afghanistan and other combat areas. Not for distance battles but searching( entering) dwellings and clearing windows and stairwells and they definitely are not useless but an asset for up close work as all fighting is not "long distance".
I have back ground in this in Mogadishu for the same purpose and would have been very happy to have one these AA12's instead of the Winchester pump I carried.
Nothing personal towards anyone but it's amazing how many experts there are who have never seen the elephant and you can throw up all the stats and numbers you want. My point was only to show what an improvement this weapon would be, not to say it was the best.
http://www.nellaware.com/blog/seeing-the-elephant.html

Hey Tango,
Interesting picture. My cousin Joey is a former marine. He saved in Somalia. My friend and hunting brother was also there, but was artillery in the Bundeswehr. I totally agree with the usage of shotguns being used even today for breaching. They can clear a room. I was not trying to diss you in anyway in regards to the
AA12. HK was trying to get a contract with the US military for a close quarter weapon system back in the 80s, but it was cancelled. The CAWs was ahead of it's time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_HK_CAWS I bet it would have made your missions much easier.

Oh, what is up with the local in the picture? Too blurry.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Retied Army First Sgt.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7516 Times on 2684 Posts
Likes Given: 2071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Hey Tango,
Interesting picture. My cousin Joey is a former marine. He saved in Somalia. My friend and hunting brother was also there, but was artillery in the Bundeswehr. I totally agree with the usage of shotguns being used even today for breaching. They can clear a room. I was not trying to diss you in anyway in regards to the
AA12. HK was trying to get a contract with the US military for a close quarter weapon system back in the 80s, but it was cancelled. The CAWs was ahead of it's time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_HK_CAWS I bet it would have made your missions much easier.

Oh, what is up with the local in the picture? Too blurry.
No offense taken.

The local was loading Khat ( narcotic drug of choice) for the skinnies who would start chewing it in the morning and by about 3 pm they had a bad attitude and would shoot at anything.
The only thing I can figure on the blur is the sun may have been reflecting on the camera.
Here's a different pic of the shotgun with me on the left.
Barrel was only 18 inches and it came with a heat shroud and bayonet lug.
Our unit had a liberal TO&E.
For target practice with the shotgun we would go down to the Indian ocean and throw meat out and shoot at sharks.

This was at the port before going downtown Mogadishu.

Position Determines Perspective
People Like This