Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 870 Wingmaster Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default 870 Wingmaster Barrel

I have found an old model 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster. If anyone spots a reasonably priced light contour Wingmaster barrel please let me know. I want either a 26" remchoke, improved cylinder or a skeet barrel. Length doesn't matter if it's an unmodified skeet barrel. So far the best prices I am seeing is $275 for the 20 ga light contour barrel

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-05-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #2

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

there are quite a few on ebay

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
there are quite a few on ebay
I searched for an Remington 870 wingmaster 20 ga light contour barrel on ebay : Your search returned 0 items.

There is a light weight barrel but for $169 plus shipping it would have to have a skeet choke. It's close to what I want but not exactly what I want. There are subtle differences between a light weight (made for quail hunting) and a light contour (made for skeet shooting) It's to early in the game to settle for less than exactly what I want. Skeet shooting won't get rolling until the middle of Feb.

Thanks for your effort!!!

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-05-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts

Actually, the Light Contour barrels are made for field use and have the regular port sizes, and the Target Contour barrels are the same weight and profile but have the Skeet sized larger ports for target shooting and the recent propensity towards mouse fart loads, in the 1100 model barrels. I have not seen an 870 barrel marked anything but Light Contour. There is a subtle and slight difference between the Light Contour and the original fixed choke barrels, and a bigger difference between the Light Contours and the regular RemChoke barrels.
Another option would be to have an original fixed choke barrel retrofitted with choke tubes by a reputable gunsmith like Mike Orlen. I have had one of those done too, and it works and feels very good to me. If you want something shorter than what you have it can be shortened to the next rib post at the same time for almost nothing.

What could have happened... did.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #5

I admit I only searched Ebay for "870 20 ga barrel" and seen many listings. I have a 20 gauge special field which takes a special barrel. And I know many old 870 20's had the 12 gauge frame so take a different barrel. Good luck on your quest.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Actually, the Light Contour barrels are made for field use and have the regular port sizes, and the Target Contour barrels are the same weight and profile but have the Skeet sized larger ports for target shooting and the recent propensity towards mouse fart loads, in the 1100 model barrels. I have not seen an 870 barrel marked anything but Light Contour. There is a subtle and slight difference between the Light Contour and the original fixed choke barrels, and a bigger difference between the Light Contours and the regular RemChoke barrels.
Another option would be to have an original fixed choke barrel retrofitted with choke tubes by a reputable gunsmith like Mike Orlen. I have had one of those done too, and it works and feels very good to me. If you want something shorter than what you have it can be shortened to the next rib post at the same time for almost nothing.
The light contour is a tapered barrel vs the lightweight which is the same thickness all the way. A good comparison to the lightweight would be the security barrel on a Maverick/Mossberg. The light countour is thick near the receiver so you don't get burned when reloading.

The difference in the light countour and a regular ventilated rib barrel might seem nominal but when when you are an Old_Crow the few ounces seem like pounds after a couple hundred rounds.

Lengthwise I hope the 20 ga barrel is built on a 12 ga frame since the shells are the same length.

The building of a great skeet gun is nothing major in any one spot. It's a couple ounces here and there. Otherwise I would just buy a double barrel and a red wagon to haul it around.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

"Lengthwise I hope the 20 ga barrel is built on a 12 ga frame since the shells are the same length."

No, the early 20 gauge guns had a 12 gauge frame-so the rear end of the barrel was way bigger to fit the large frame. The later ones were stamped 20 gauge lightweight I think.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #8

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts

Old Crow, you lost me. Are you saying they made a special Lightweight barrel and a Light Contour barrel? The standard barrel that comes with an 870 LW20 (Lightweight) gauge is as light as it gets, UNLESS you can find one of the few Light Contours in 20 gauge - I have only seen one so marked myself in person, and then the difference is noticeable, but not close to huge. The old fixed choke barrels I have checked are very close to the Light Contour in weight, but of course lack the choke tubes.
I know little about the old Standard Weight 20 fixed choke barrels.

What could have happened... did.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I know little about the old Standard Weight 20 fixed choke barrels.
Then why are you commenting?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #10

The search is over!! My gunsmith bought a barrel for me. I will pick it up next week when he returns to his shop.