Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   870 vs 870 super magnum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/870-vs-870-super-magnum-103811/)

icallshotgun88 02-08-2014 11:11 PM

870 vs 870 super magnum
 
what exactly is the difference?

other than the fact the super magnum can shoot 3&1/2?
i also know the ejection port is slightly bigger...anything else?

are there different parts?
are the parts bigger?

anything?

thanks!

freetobefree 02-09-2014 12:20 AM

Super mag is a longer action to shoot 31/2 shells... that's all

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Firearms Talk mobile app

John_Deer 02-09-2014 12:26 AM

Regardless of the length of the shell you can only put so much pressure on a 12 ga barrel. The human body can only stand so much recoil. A full house 3" 12 ga load generates over 70 lb of recoil.

Gonzilla 02-09-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 (Post 1501797)
what exactly is the difference?

other than the fact the super magnum can shoot 3&1/2?
i also know the ejection port is slightly bigger...anything else?

are there different parts?
are the parts bigger?

anything?

thanks!

They had to change the design a bit and this is covered in the owners manual which is available on line from Remington and probably numerous other sources. If you are feeling lazy, youtube probably has a few covering the differences but their validy is based on the skill base of the people.

The original Rem 870 platform is a proven design. Unless you are a heavy duck or goose hunter, I don't know why you would need a 3.5" 12 ga.

Gatoragn 02-09-2014 12:43 AM

An 870 kicks like a Shetland pony. An 870 super mag shooting 3.5's kicks like a Missouri mule on steroids.

Mercator 02-09-2014 12:47 AM

I can only say, for pheasant, for home defense, and for clays, Magnum shells are not needed.

kfox75 02-09-2014 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1501905)
I can only say, for pheasant, for home defense, and for clays, Magnum shells are not needed.

Add deer, turkey, and bears to that list. Folks were dropping them with a 12 ga, 2.5 inch shell long before the 2.75 came around. If you spend a lot of time in duck and goose blinds, then maybe a 3.5 inch super mag might be warranted, but generally a 2.75 will get the job done.

Axxe55 02-09-2014 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox75 (Post 1501977)
Add deer, turkey, and bears to that list. Folks were dropping them with a 12 ga, 2.5 inch shell long before the 2.75 came around. If you spend a lot of time in duck and goose blinds, then maybe a 3.5 inch super mag might be warranted, but generally a 2.75 will get the job done.

most modern shotguns are now chambered for a 3" shell. 2.75 and 3" will cover most people's needs in a shotgun. a 3.5" magnum shell might be used where a 10 ga. use to be used.

bamashooter68 02-09-2014 02:51 AM

I have a super mag 870 and I use the 3 1/2'' shells for turkey hunting and occasionally goose and duck. I have found out that I don't need 3 1/2'' shells most of the time because 2 3/4 and 3'' usually gets the job done just fine. I do use them and its fun to let other people shoot it and see their reactions. I bought some 3 1/2'' 00Buck and that stuff was brutal to shoot.

icallshotgun88 02-09-2014 03:45 AM

i didnt want this thread to turn into whether or not one needs a 3&1/2" gun or not..

ill probably NEVER need a 3&1/2" but i bought the 870 super mag because i didnt want to be limited, it came in the waterfowl camo i wanted and i'll get a kick out of shooting the 3&1/2" shells...pun intended ;)

so longer action?
bigger ejection port?
but the rest is the same?

i know the standard 870 is the "proven" system, but if those are the only differences than theoretically the super mag will be pretty darned reliable...


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.