Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 870 Trade Situation, Need Advice Please...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default 870 Trade Situation, Need Advice Please...

I have an 870 with the 5+1 magazine tube, never been fired (literally), had to for over a year and a half, just maintained it and cleaned it regularly with the other rifles and pistols and would reload it and stick it back behind the bedroom door. But given the circumstances I've opted to sell it or trade it for a "worthy" pistol. I paid 450, and it was 480 out the door from the LGS after taxes and all the other BS that comes along with it. I've been asking 400, or a trade of a SA-XD40SC, which no one has been offering up (maybe I'm dumb for asking for that trade, or there just isn't anyone with one they want to part with, oh well).

The latest offers I have is, one gentleman locally that wants it for the 400, but it won't be until later on this week, probably Thursday time frame. The other gentleman on the line for it, is wanting to trade a S&W M&P .40 for it. I own a Springfield XD-40 and a XDM-40, love them both to death, I almost went for a M&P a few years back instead of the XD, so it's not really a new pistol to me, just never shot one. The guy sent me a picture of his "target" and it had decent grouping. I just wrote him back a few minutes ago asking how old it was, how many rounds have been put down range with it, and then just cosmetic questions to make sure it's not beat to hell.

So given the circumstances, what do y'all think would be the right thing to do? My fiancee says definitely go for the .40 if the first guy falls through and then go out and work a trade somewhere to get the pistol I want, which it's really for her, my hands are just slightly too big for a SC. Any help would be greatly appreciated in this matter, I've only traded a firearm once and that was at the LGS to get the XD.

Thanks everybody.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

I would go for the .40. It's a great gun and they shoot great. It's worth a bit more than $400 also. So its the better deal. I would imagine if you go the .40 down to the range you would want to keep it.
* make sure it has the takedown tool. They tend to go missing.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I would go for the .40. It's a great gun and they shoot great. It's worth a bit more than $400 also. So its the better deal. I would imagine if you go the .40 down to the range you would want to keep it.
* make sure it has the takedown tool. They tend to go missing.
I thought the same, my fiancée did some searching before she left for work this morning and said the same thing about the .40 being more than my 870, which kind of kicked me in the gut, because I wouldn't mind having another pistol, kind of wish I wouldn't have told the other guy about it lol. I've heard the usual about the M&P as far as performance and functionality, some good and some bad, just like everything else out there. I didn't know about the takedown tool? I just figured it broke down just like my XD/XDM, thanks for the heads up on that.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #4

What take down tool? I bought mine brand new last July and there is no take down tool, nor is there need for any tool to field strip it. Mine has the mag disconnect and no safety so maybe one of the other versions need the tool.
The standard 4.25" was $420 last year, now they are going for closer to $500. More for the 5" barrel version and the compacts depending on demand. The feel of the gun is great, the 3 different backstraps customize the grip to your hand and the gun is a pleasure to shoot (well, as pleasureable as a 40S&W can be). There are complaints about the heavy trigger or the grittiness, but my gun had no gritttiness and a 4.4 lb pull.

You could replace that 870 with a $200 HD shotgun or if it's not for HD, a $20 airsoft gun for all the use it's seen.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #5

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Trade it for what is the most valuable to you (and note that unless you have a +1 extension it is a 4+1 870.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Trade it for what is the most valuable to you (and note that unless you have a +1 extension it is a 4+1 870.
Y trade da 870 my 870 holds 11shells my joint is bananas u got to cop dat bigger extension for it n I only have a 26 inch barrel

Old 05-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #7

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFaTs View Post
Y trade da 870 my 870 holds 11shells my joint is bananas u got to cop dat bigger extension for it n I only have a 26 inch barrel
What?

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2326 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89

What?
Same here?!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I ended up selling it to the guy who originally said he wanted it. I didn't want to cut his throat and sell it/trade it to someone else without giving him a fair chance, paid $450, got $400 for it, $50 kick in the shorts but hey, what's done is done.

It was a 6+1 870 with an 18" barrel, I originally put 5+1 because the plug was getting caught in the tube and not allowing a 6th shell, but it worked itself out and continuously took 6 after I posted. Just never remembered to update the original post. I'll eventually get another shotgun, most likely a Remington again or I'll spring for a Benelli next time around.