Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   870 shotgun reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/870-shotgun-reloading-77590/)

climate17 12-03-2012 08:42 AM

870 shotgun reloading

As any one reloaded for the 870. I'm trying to reload for it and having some trouble. The rounds that I've made up out of used hulls have a tendency to stick in the camper and don't want to eject. Any body else had these troubles? Any solutions? Irishman in Montana needs help!

Virginian 12-03-2012 10:25 AM

Hone the chamber. Note, I said hone, not wrap steel wool around something and spin it.

John_Deer 12-03-2012 11:20 AM

If the shells are hard to pump into the 870, then get stuck after firing. The shells are bulged. That is the the most common failure when reloading shotshells. 1 1/8 oz 12ga loads are difficult to load, even when putting a light charge behind the shot. I ended up saving up high brass hulls to reload 1 1/8 oz competition loads. I don't know how Winchester loads a 1 1/8 load into their AA hulls. I couldn't do it without losing a lot of AA hulls, even once fired hulls. I was using AA wads too.

oli700 12-03-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by climate17 (Post 1036751)
As any one reloaded for the 870. I'm trying to reload for it and having some trouble. The rounds that I've made up out of used hulls have a tendency to stick in the camper and don't want to eject. Any body else had these troubles? Any solutions? Irishman in Montana needs help!

Whats your load ?

Stuck before or after discharge ?

Dosent really mater if its for an 870, they should all work with each other

Irishman in Oregon here to help, whats wrong ? your luck run out ;)

masterPsmith 12-03-2012 02:21 PM

I've never had any problems loading 1 1/8 oz loads in AA hulls on my Dillon.

As for problems loading and extracting your re-loads, it sounds to me that you are bulging your hulls while crimping. Back off a little on your crimp die and see if that helps. You might also try honing and polishing your chamber.

Jim..

climate17 12-03-2012 06:37 PM

They are sticking after discharge. What you guys are saying makes sense I think I'll stick my micrometer on my die and maybe hone my chamber. I hadn't thought about my chamber being a little narrow.

bobski 12-03-2012 08:15 PM

make sure your resizer is going all the way down on the brass. there is no reason why hulls should stick in an 870 or any other gun for that matter.
just a curious q: how dirty is that chamber? rods clean the bore and you can feel when it hits the chamber, it loosens up some. maybe a 10ga brush from the bbl chamber end might get some the 12ga rod isnt getting.

oli700 12-03-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by climate17 (Post 1037224)
They are sticking after discharge. What you guys are saying makes sense I think I'll stick my micrometer on my die and maybe hone my chamber. I hadn't thought about my chamber being a little narrow.

What is your load ?

If it isnt sticking all the ammo then it isnt your chamber. You take too much chamber you cant put it back ,its your reloads

robocop10mm 12-03-2012 10:42 PM

1 1/8 oz 12 ga loads are my staple. They work very well. I use AA wads and 16.4 gr Red Dot. But then again, I don't have an 870 in 12 ga. Mine are fired through Winchesters and a Saiga

bobski 12-03-2012 11:23 PM

i say its that brass sizer isnt resizing the brass all the way down. and when it fires, that expanded brass expands more....making it stick. just my hunch.

thats.....if its brass. if its that cheapo steel stuff, itll stick all day.