Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   870 nickel plated (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/870-nickel-plated-45178/)

SingleAction 07-14-2011 01:40 PM

870 nickel plated

Good day to you all,

Im looking to invest in a new sporting shotgun, and have decided upon the old workhorse, Remington 870 mainly just because of its history.
This is gonna be a hunting firearm with considerable exposure to the elements. I know pretty well how to take care of steel, but the outdoor exposure is new to me in regard to its affect on a pump action shotgun mechanism. Is it worth it to get the nickel plated mariner even though I will never be near salt water with it?

Thank you for your time

zeke73 07-14-2011 04:14 PM

You can never go wrong with a rem 870! I have 5 of them and we use them for trap shooting, pheasent, duck and goose, rabbit and deer hunting. I have two wingmaster's and three express and never had any issue's with any of them and from Wisconsin they see all weather conditions. Just give it a good wipe down after each use and its ready for the next time. So personaly I wouldn't spend the extra money and I don't like shiney guns for hunting but they do look good.

SingleAction 07-14-2011 04:40 PM

well i like my guns shiny cuz i like em to know im comming :D

estrack2 07-14-2011 06:09 PM

The 870 is a great shotgun, i grew up shooting one and still do, but if your looking for something extremely wear and tear resistant, i would choose the remington 887. It is a fairly new model and is ready to be beaten to hell and keep shooting

Virginian 07-15-2011 01:21 AM

My 1976 still looks good but i take care of my guns. They work hard but not abused. My friend wore all the bluing off an 1100 and got it black chromed, and that has held up quite well.
I LOVE a nickel plated 1873 Colt, but I don't know about an 870.

SingleAction 07-15-2011 12:16 PM

ah SAA, now thats a gun that was torn from my heart. Learned to spin em and shoot em well just to see the dreams sink to hell. In fact ive been so disappointed with my poor 1873 third gens that they made me give up guns for swords in most regards. Strange thing once you take up a weapon.

So to your knowledge i could still purchase an unfinished (no inert nickel plate i mean) 870 and then have in re done like your friend did? Or does the oxidation of the metal underneath corrupt the process? Heck, does anyone do nickel plating themselves?
Thanks

Virginian 07-16-2011 09:13 PM

They have to clean and prep the surface to do anything

wmille01 07-17-2011 03:02 AM

if you plan on doing turkey hunting I wouldn't get it, 870's are awesome guns I've put mine through hell and it still shoots just like it was out of the box. I've had to replace the wooden furniture twice and it still shoots great.

SingleAction 07-17-2011 04:01 AM

so they actually remove metal from the frame to refinish it?

c3shooter 07-17-2011 11:25 AM

A nickel plated firearm would not be a good hunting choice. Excess visibility.

Traditional nickel plating required first copper plating the gun, THEN nickel plating the copper. There is now an electroless nickel, and I have no clue how that is applied.

Before you decide to play mad scientist, and drag out a 12 v battery and chemicals, consider that plating requires removal of EVERY part, screw, springr, nut, bolt, pin, wedge from the gun, and putting it back together when done. While reading, look up the toxicity of the materials you will be using, unless you want to have funny looking kids one day.