Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   870 indent question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/870-indent-question-75257/)

Ultimate_sig 10-29-2012 02:17 AM

870 indent question

Alright folks this is my third trip to wally world, im looking for a socket to push out thr indentions. Does anyone know this method, what size socket is the best to use.

hiwall 10-29-2012 04:29 AM

I don't know what "thr indentions" are.

SSGN_Doc 10-29-2012 04:51 AM

Are we talking about the mag tube dimples?

Ultimate_sig 10-29-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Are we talking about the mag tube dimples?

Yes mag tube demples, i know the drill method but id much rather do the socket method so i don't leave holes in it

SSGN_Doc 10-29-2012 07:29 AM

Ok. Not sure exactly what size fits, because outer diameter of the deep well sockets can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Old_Crow 10-29-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 994109)
Ok. Not sure exactly what size fits, because outer diameter of the deep well sockets can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

OK, I was about to send you on a wild goose chase. It's Mossberg that has the cheap tubes. Mossberg has barrel, spring and tube for $150.

primer1 10-30-2012 10:11 PM

Don't be such a tight a$$. Buy a new tube, buy a socket set that will probably pay for itself, or borrow a socket set and don't return it. :D

RemFire 10-30-2012 10:47 PM

The tube is brazed to the receiver - I wouldn't smack a socket into it. Unless you want to, A) get it stuck behind what'll be left of the dimples, or B) worse still break the brazing from the shock of hitting it.

Remington supposedly recommend drilling out the dimples. I know guys who use expanding lathe mandrels in conjunction with some other basic components to 'push' the crimps out from inside. Any other method which pushes them out in a controlled manner rather than one which wedges them out with brute force would seem like a better idea. I personally wouldn't drill holes in it like Remington advise, but I'd do that before the socket method.

Give it to a gunsmith who knows what they're doing.

RemFire 10-30-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 994109)

Correct.

But the inside of the tube is around .90", I can't remember exactly without making my way upstairs to check my books.

Edit, ok yeah about .90" - .910".

primer1 10-30-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemFire

Correct.

But the inside of the tube is around .90", I can't remember exactly without making my way upstairs to check my books.

Edit, ok yeah about .90" - .910".

If you can find something like a drill bit with an outside diameter (od) of 29/32, which is .906. Tap through blunt end first maybe. 23mm is .905.

BTW, I've never tried this, just giving advice on sizes.