870 how-do-i ???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 870 how-do-i ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 870 how-do-i ???

I got the 870 base model synth stock. I'm about to go searching around for the deer barrel w the cantilever.. But I'm considering mounting a rail on the rcvr to get an optic in there for other hunting (turkey etc...)..
So both questions.. 1. Would the cantilever interfere w the rcvr rail?
2. With no predrilled screws in there would that be a dyi or better off sending it to a pro?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Welcome to the board.

I don't think the cantilever barrel would get in the way, as long as you choose scope rings that are the proper height.

The 870 uses a side saddle to mount the scope. It is basically a plate that runs bolts in place of the trigger pins. They are available at Wal-Mart for under $20. My FIL has one on his 870 and it is rock solid.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #3

Thanks but I'd remove the optic if going with the cantilever barrel. Although I am going to be checking Walmart... And basspro maybe now that I think of it..

Old 11-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

But I have seen solid mounted rails straight screwed to the rcvr...

Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioBarre View Post
But I have seen solid mounted rails straight screwed to the rcvr...
There are some models of the 870 that come from factory predrilled and tapped for a scope mount, such as the 870 SPS Super Mag

The most dependable slide action of all time in a design that will go the distance with deadly precision, whether your target is the crease behind a buck's shoulder, a wily coyote or a big red head. The model 870 SPS Super Magnum Turkey/Predator w/scope is an all inclusive, all-camo package put together with devastating implications for birds at extended range and predators that close the distance. Along with the ambidextrous freedom and handling ease of our ShurShot® pistol grip stock with grip-enhancing overmolds, it features a highly maneuverable 20" barrel and a TruGlo® red/green selectable illuminated sight mounted atop its pre-installed Weaver-style rail.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #6

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Your 870 would have to go to a gunsmith to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts(maybe $50-$70). The scope mounts would need to be removed to use the cantilever(most likely). When using receiver mount the barrel play in the receiver can cause some change of impact(might or might not be noticeable at shotgun ranges). In the past(and maybe still) several companies have made no-gunsmithing receiver scope mounts for 870's (you might consider them).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #7

Actually if I can get it drilled and tapped it'd be optimal b/c I believe they sell the deer barrel w/o the c-lever...hmmm...

Old 12-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #8

If you are going to put the rail on the reciever then why dont you get the rifle sighted barrel? No interference and iron sight backup! Best of both worlds.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #9

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

IMHO if your looking to do some deer hunting with it , I would consider shoot thru rings , its damn hard to see a running deer at 25-40 yards thru a scope and you will want those open sights if that ever happens

Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #10

i would just buy the cantilever barrel and mount a scope on that. all the deer ive taken with my 870 were using the field barrel with a rifled choke tube on it, the times ive tried hunting with a receiver mount it didnt turn out so hot and i ended up tossing the mount out

Remington 870 express 12gauge
Remington 597 LS HB .22lr
Remington 721 30.06