Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 870 Express for Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default 870 Express for Hunting

I am considering buying a Remmington 870 (20gage) for Pheasant and Grouse. I love the Wingmaster, but for me its less about "looks" and more about performing in the field. I know a lot of people like the O/U's and I still am considering that myself, but wanted to hear from you who hunt with the 870 Express. How does it perform in the field? Happy with it? Etc.?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #2

Liked 621 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I've never shot the 20 ga. but I have a 12 ga. that's put down a lot of turkeys and knocked an uncountable number of squirrels out of trees. Out of all of my shotguns guns, that’s my first choice for hunting.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

One of my first guns was a 870 express in 20 gauge.

It works great and is reliable. 20 should be plenty enough for pheasants and grouse.

The part I like about mine the most is that it wouldnt break my heart if it got a scratch or a dent in the field.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #4

20 guage is my favorite shotgun guage. I have been hunting ruffled grouse with this caliber for the last 20 years. I do not have or have shot a 870, but I do use a tri-star 20 guage. Price was very reasonable (just under $300 @fleet farm) and after the initial break in, it shoots flawless. It kicks no more than a single action 410. Last year I got off three shots with three grouse at 30 yards. 20 guage is a perfect caliber for grouse. I reserve my 12 for ducks and geese.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You will be hard-pressed to find a better shotgun at that price. 20 ga. is also awesome for whitetails.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #6

I have a couple 870 Express' one 12 Mag and a 16 gauge. Both are fine guns. The 870 Exp. is one of the best buy's in shotguns. Just keep in mind that it's not a Wingmaster and will probably need to be shot more or polished up a bit before it will be as slick as a nice Wingmaster. But it will get there.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks all! Does the Wingmaster have better components? I know it has a nicer stock/wood, but in terms of the parts that function the gun.....are they all that different? As I said aesthetics I don't care about.....functionality and reliability in the field I do care about.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
Thanks all! Does the Wingmaster have better components? I know it has a nicer stock/wood, but in terms of the parts that function the gun.....are they all that different? As I said aesthetics I don't care about.....functionality and reliability in the field I do care about.
All the same parts--some of the internals may be polished up a little more, but they come from the same parts bin. You can't go wrong! As mentioned before, it will slick up the more you shoot it.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 08-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've used an 87 Express a lot in the field, and I'm really happy with it. It might not have the exquisite finish of an old Wingmaster, but it works great.

I've used mine (12ga) for small game as well as deer and boar. It's one of the best investments I've ever made in a gun.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #10

Liked 621 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
You CAN make the 870 look really pretty

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington