870 express & 870 express magnum. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 870 express & 870 express magnum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #11
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1784 Times on 1102 Posts
Likes Given: 9934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
You have to take HockaLouis with a grain of salt. A Remington was mean to him when he was a small child, and he can't get over it.
Always do. Some of us swear by Remingtons, and some of us swear at them.

Got a friend that suffers from the same condition when it comes to Mossburg 500s. When he was in his teens (Circa 1965), my buddy Gary had a model 500 that had a defect in the fire controls and in the bolt. If he racked the slide with the gun pointed up, all was good. if he pointed it down, or racked it with the muzzle pointed towards the ground, he got a bang out of it. the safety was on, and the boogerhook was nowhere near the trigger when this happened. The problem was found and fixed by a smith, but he has never trusted a model 500 since. Two days after getting his 500 back he went to the smith's shop and traded it in on a used Ithaca model 37 which he has used ever since.

Point is, I'm sure that Hocka has his reasons for disliking Remingtons. Just something to think about, that's all.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #12

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Yeah, you guys figured me out -- I had a bad personal experience with a Remington. In fact, a similar problem as above but with an 870 Express. Damn thing actually went full auto on me! Maybe that's what "Express" meant when everyone was sure it meant they were being put together like fast food... Scared me so bad I almost upgraded to a Mosin Nagant.

Sorry team, the recent 870's are just not quality arms. Might look nice but they are not reliable anymore. Buy anything else.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-15-2013 at 04:41 AM.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Yeah, you guys figured me out -- I had a bad personal experience with a Remington. In fact, a similar problem as above but with an 870 Express. Damn thing actually went full auto on me! Maybe that's what "Express" meant when everyone was sure it meant they were being put together like fast food... Scared me so bad I almost upgraded to a Mosin Nagant.

Sorry team, the recent 870's are just not quality arms. Might look nice but they are not reliable anymore. Buy anything else.
Got a good chuckle out of the upper part. I wouldn't know about the newer express models, both mine and my daughter's are pre 2003 models, and so far we have had no problems with them. Have heard quite a few folks talking about quality issues with some of the newer ones though, so it does make me stop and wonder just what is going on.

What happened to Gary is straight up God's honest, His father, cousin, and brother verified the story when I asked them about it. Pretty scary sh!t right there.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #14

Liked 159 Times on 120 Posts

I have seen a Browning Auto Five that went BANG if you dropped a shell in it and released the bolt. I have seen a Winchester Model 12 that went BANG when you closed the action firmly. I have seen an Ithaca 37 that set off the round in the magazine. Any mechanical device is subject to failure. Remember that and be safe.

What could have happened... did.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Got a good chuckle out of the upper part. I wouldn't know about the newer express models, both mine and my daughter's are pre 2003 models, and so far we have had no problems with them. Have heard quite a few folks talking about quality issues with some of the newer ones though, so it does make me stop and wonder just what is going on.

What happened to Gary is straight up God's honest, His father, cousin, and brother verified the story when I asked them about it. Pretty scary sh!t right there.
Well, let me comfort you with the recent words of the President of Remington: "it's not the action, it's the pointability." No sh!t, the guy actually runs around saying this of the Remington 870 because the quality is so bad...

Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post

Full auto pump?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #17

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis

Can you explain how a pump goes full auto? With the next live shell sitting in a separate tube from the barrel and chamber, I can't imagine this.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I have seen a Browning Auto Five that went BANG if you dropped a shell in it and released the bolt. I have seen a Winchester Model 12 that went BANG when you closed the action firmly. I have seen an Ithaca 37 that set off the round in the magazine. Any mechanical device is subject to failure. Remember that and be safe.
Very true. Murphy's Law is always in effect no matter where you are or what you are using. I'm sure we all remember rule #1.

"What ever can go wrong will go wrong, at the worst possible time."

This is why I drilled safety procedures into the minds of every person I have ever taught to shoot. The only reliable safety in the process is the trained shooter. Do NOT rely on the mechanical parts to work correctly, be prepared for the worst. Not doing so can cost a life.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Full auto pump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixfix View Post
Can you explain how a pump goes full auto? With the next live shell sitting in a separate tube from the barrel and chamber, I can't imagine this.
Guess Hocka should have put that part in green. Sarcasm alert!

Maybe someone at Remington Added a large heavy spring behind the bolt by mistake. Or someone in R&D really screwed up when they sent their test model to the shipping department.

Had he used green, it would have been more obvious.

On the other hand, if someone makes a full auto pump, have them send it to me. Strictly for demonstration purposes, I promise.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixfix View Post
Well, all magazines have the next round separate from the barrel and chamber at some point, but, yeah, I was as surprised as you are.