Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   590a1 bead sight (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/590a1-bead-sight-98891/)

FernandoTheCommando 10-15-2013 06:05 PM

590a1 bead sight
 
Anyone change the bead sight on a 590a1 with a heavy barrel? Mine is chipped and I've been looking for a new one. I called
Mossberg and they said their standard brass bead sight fits. But...I read reviews on midway and some people said the threads didn't match. I read reviews for the tru glo bead sight that said people stripped the threads because it stopped 3/4 of the way from parallel and they forced it the rest of the way. Thought, ideas, suggestions? And no, im not switching to ghost rings or a red dot. Oh and the bead sight on mine was parkerized but it looks like Mossberg only sells one in a brass or white finish.

FernandoTheCommando 10-17-2013 10:54 PM

*crickets chirping*

John_Deer 10-18-2013 04:42 PM

call mossberg tech support to find out what size the threaded portion of the bead might be. Then you can order a screw on aftermarket bead from brownells, midway, numrich. When you find out what size the threaded portion is post it here so others can find the size by searching.

FernandoTheCommando 10-19-2013 09:43 PM

That's the problem I'm having. Mossberg said the 5/40 thread pattern for the brass bead sight works. But, someone posted on MIDWAY that it didn't thread into the a1 heavy barrel. Mepro light makes one too but people complained about threads stripping. I'm gonna order the one from Mossberg and try it out. I might go the way of a red dot eventually but for now I'll try the new bead.

John_Deer 10-20-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando (Post 1406759)
That's the problem I'm having. Mossberg said the 5/40 thread pattern for the brass bead sight works. But, someone posted on MIDWAY that it didn't thread into the a1 heavy barrel. Mepro light makes one too but people complained about threads stripping. I'm gonna order the one from Mossberg and try it out. I might go the way of a red dot eventually but for now I'll try the new bead.

The white beads for the front are very durable. The brass bead is for the rear sight on a vent rib. I have never had an issue with the white front bead.

FernandoTheCommando 10-20-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1407040)

The white beads for the front are very durable. The brass bead is for the rear sight on a vent rib. I have never had an issue with the white front bead.

I saw a different brass bead for the rear sight on the vent rib. Someone said the white sight is for the front on a vent rib barrel and that the white bead threads extend too far into a non vent rib and will need to be filed down. Eh for $3 a piece I guess I'll just order them both and see which one fits. Have you put the white bead from Mossberg on the front of a standard non vent ribbed barrel? Or have you put one on a 590a1 with heavy barrel?

deathkricket 10-22-2013 03:32 AM

Gander mountain sells a front fiber optic kit for $19 that contains screws for every thread pattern made on modern shotguns and the front fiber sight of course, just a though. I would trust mossberg about their products over a midway or something review. There is a old saying that goes something like you have to be atleast 10% smarter then the equipment you are attempting to operate.

FernandoTheCommando 10-22-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathkricket (Post 1409366)
Gander mountain sells a front fiber optic kit for $19 that contains screws for every thread pattern made on modern shotguns and the front fiber sight of course, just a though. I would trust mossberg about their products over a midway or something review. There is a old saying that goes something like you have to be atleast 10% smarter then the equipment you are attempting to operate.

Well said. I just ordered a few brass beads from midway. They are Mossberg factory replacements. Will update when I get them mounted. Anyone know off hand the size wrench/small socket to get the bead off? I've heard about the sock over the pliers trick.

deathkricket 10-22-2013 11:27 AM

I have a very fine long pair of needle nose pliers I use. Don't forget a tiny drop of lock tight.

FernandoTheCommando 10-24-2013 06:12 PM

Update. Got the Mossberg brass front bead in mail today. It threaded right into the heavy barrel on my 590a1. So, for anyone like me, who read a customer review that said it doesn't fit the a1 heavy barrel, they were incorrect. It fits perfectly.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.