Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 590 vs 870

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3859 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default 590 vs 870

This is an excellent video. I do feel the 590 wins though. He likes them both.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/german-stamped-mossberg-590-mariner-92689/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Jager,

The 870 has more than proven the test of time! And I like the Remington 870s very well. Carried one for almost 30 years in LE. I like the iron sights on the 870 in the video. However there is certainly nothing wrong with the Mossbergs either. I do like the Mossberg's thumb safety and the fact that the receiver is tapped and drilled to mount a base and optics on it. If I had one I would mount an EOTech on it if its purpose was to be for protection and tactical application. Although I do prefer the steel receiver vs the aluminum and the action of the Remington best. But as he stated in the video either one would be a good choice and obviously he has both. The bayonet lug is of no consolation to me. I am going to shoot them if confronted not bayonet them. Not to mention the bayonet makes the whole unit exceptionally long which to me is not a good thing. The bayonet as a knife is fine. But I prefer the sights on the Remington 870s far better than that of the A-1 Mossberg. Both of my Remington 870s have Rifle Sights on them and 20 in barrels. They will hit a clay pigeon target at 50 yards consistently.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 08-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I chose the 590 for the safety location and the ability to place a weaver mount for my holographic sight. I like the dual ejectors and the 8+1 capacity. I use mine for hunting boar, small game and low flying fowl, range fun and home protection. I love the mariner finish for the wet German environment. To each their own I guess....I still think Mossberg is better. Oh, and I have the option of ghost ring sights too.

My LGS...
http://www.frankonia.de/waffen/langwaffen/flinten/categorylist.html#f_s_marke=Mossberg&page=0&lastSe lected=f_s_marke

Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
I watched the video... Yesterday? Anyway, I like Hickok45. He knows his stuff and has a good personality.

I like the location of the controls on the Mossberg more. When I buy one I'll prolly go with the Mossberg.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #5

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I have a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum 12ga that I bought new in 1998. Its a great shotgun that has killed deer, turkey, coyote, squirrel, dove, quail, dogs, cats, and even won a few turkey shoots.

Im sure the 590 is a fine shotgun but I prefer the 870. To each their own.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2687 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The newer 870's have some issues. Barrels have been known to blow up from obstructions. The shell stops have a nasty habit of coming loose in the receiver. The modern 870 is not "your father's wingmaster".

The 590 is FAR superior (IMHO).

Our agency got Winchesters in the early 80's. They gave yeoman service fore over 20 years and thousands of rounds. The 870's took over after Winchester shut down operations. Too many made the trip back to the factory to have the shell stops restaked so we gave up on them. The 590's are being phased in (50 a year). Thus far, no issues.

My only complaint is the 590 shell stops are loose in the receiver. Removing the trigger group results in a more tedious reassembly.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

JonM Likes This 
Old 08-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #7

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

There is nothing wrong with 870s. An Express is not finished like a Wingmaster, but it isn't priced like it either. If anything, the newer Expresses seem to be a little better finished. The barrels have not been blowing up - the barrel lawsuit was 20 years ago and was another contrived crisis so some lawyers could make money - and they did. The settlement was sealed so don't let anyone tell you what they "know", other than what was alleged. The shell latches have always had a tendency to come loose. They are only staked in to make it easier to put them back together - versus Browning's advise not to take theirs apart. You do not need to re- stake them as epoxy or Superglue will work fine. I did that as a temporary measure on one of my 1100s about six years ago and now I don't remember which one it was. I will never restake one again, and I have the tool. In use they are held in place by the trigger group and the trigger group pins.
There is nothing wrong with a 590 either. To me it comes down to whatever feel and controls layout you prefer. With decent care either one should outlive your grandchildren.

What could have happened... did.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

I'm in agreement with robocop.

Remington has been cutting too many corners on their products lately. I've never been a fan of the 870 because the controls aren't anywhere near as ergonomically placed as the 590. You don't have to move your trigger hand to operate the controls . The 870 you do. The only way the 870 was ever keeping pace with mossberg is they were producing a solid shotgun equaling mossberg in quality. Since remington quality has slid quite a bit its no contest mossberg wins easy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2687 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The barrel blow up may have been exaggerated by some ambulance chasers, but I have witnessed controlled tests that show the Remington barrels are clearly inferior to Winchester 1200/1300 barrels.

Yes, My favorite is the Winchester pumps.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In the middle of the night... in the deep humid forests of the German highlands... where there is the constant threat of charging boar...I trust my life to a Mossberg 590 Mariner loaded with slugs. I have tested both shotguns, and I did not buy the Remington. The reasons stated above. As seen in this picture, I also think the gun is perfect for the heavy, tall brush. A boar can be hiding with it's young and you can walk right up on them.

011.jpg   001.jpg