500$ to spend on a shotgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 500$ to spend on a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

What makes a gun "tactical". Is it all the plastic crap that some people put on them? Is it the name? I've always been taught tactical is a mindset. But anyway. I digress.

For $500 I'd look at a Benelli Nova "Tactical" or a Mossberg 590A1.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 10-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #12

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would like to know the difference between a tactical shotgun and sporting shotgun, other than a bunch of plastic.
The all deadly barrel shroud, you know..the shoulder thing that goes up.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2800 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

For $500, you can get many different HD, sporting, or combo shotguns. Depending on your view of the future, a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 make a whole lot of sense, lots of after-market parts/upgrades, decades of reliability and 10's of millions of satisfied customers for both platforms.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #14

Liked 2187 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would like to know the difference between a tactical shotgun and sporting shotgun, other than a bunch of plastic.
Lots of similarities, but...

I can say one thing that isn't tactical. A 28" barrel.

Other than that, you're right. Just about any shotgun can be used in a tactical role as any other. Some may be a bit easier to employ in that role however.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

You Mossberg people are almost as bad as the glock people! I own a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. If I'm just out shooting for fun I grab the Mossberg. But if I know I'm about to do some serious stuff out in the weather, or if I'm about to put a BUNCH of rounds through a shotgun, I grab the 870. Mostly because it's easier to reassemble after cleaning.

Also because I witnessed the range staff breaking down some 870s that were decades old and had never been maintenanced. They looked HORRIBLE! They were full of trash and wouldn't cycle the rounds properly.

All they did was throw most of the parts in some solvent overnight and then lube them up. We ran the hell out of those guns with no problems. The armorers said those old 870s are basically indestructible.

Grab the cheapest 870 you can find and add your own accessories. You won't regret it. It will allow you to learn a bit about how your gun is put together, and will allow you to put EXACTLY what you want by way of a stock, night sights or optics and a mounted lock.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #16

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I recently purchased a TriStar semi auto 12 gauge with a 20inch barrel and interchangeable chokes that I am more than please with. Cycles great and shoots everything from bird shot to slugs wonderful!

Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1938 Times on 1343 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Tactical is a black elongated object holding on to which makes you a warrior.
Seriously, a "tactical" shotgun is the kind used by the military and LE for close quarter combat. Salient features: pump or semiauto, usually 12 ga, bbl < 20", parkerized metal, polymer furniture, usually black, iron sights, picatinny rails, extra shell capacity.

Last edited by Mercator; 10-24-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #18

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I owned a mossberg 930SPX and it was a great semi auto, I however recently sold it and picked up an 870 Police Magnum. That gun I have NO second thoughts about whether or not it is going to function or stand up to my abuse.

I have fired many mossberg 500's as well and they are great, but hold one, work the action, and then hold an 870 and work the action.

There's a reason the 870 is more expensive, though both guns are completely adequate.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 10-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #19

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

I'm on the Mosberg wagon too. For your budget, it's the most bang for the buck!

Old 10-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #20

Liked 2187 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
You Mossberg people are almost as bad as the glock people! I own a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. If I'm just out shooting for fun I grab the Mossberg. But if I know I'm about to do some serious stuff out in the weather, or if I'm about to put a BUNCH of rounds through a shotgun, I grab the 870. Mostly because it's easier to reassemble after cleaning.

Also because I witnessed the range staff breaking down some 870s that were decades old and had never been maintenanced. They looked HORRIBLE! They were full of trash and wouldn't cycle the rounds properly.

All they did was throw most of the parts in some solvent overnight and then lube them up. We ran the hell out of those guns with no problems. The armorers said those old 870s are basically indestructible.

Grab the cheapest 870 you can find and add your own accessories. You won't regret it. It will allow you to learn a bit about how your gun is put together, and will allow you to put EXACTLY what you want by way of a stock, night sights or optics and a mounted lock.
I've got an 870 and a Mossberg 500. I've used the military 590 quite a bit through work. The ones the armories use for quals take a pretty significant beating. Used them in the field too. They may feel kind of sloppy compared to an 870 because if the riveted action rails instead of Remington's welded rails, but both are proven platforms from decades if military and police use.

From a field maintenance stand point the 870 does seem more user friendly for field stripping and reassembly. From a long term armorers standpoint the Mossberg has the advantage of having parts that can be replaced without a torch or brazing or riveting if the ejector or mag tube needs to be replaced.

Other features are up to personal taste. The Mossberg bolt release is a bit closer to the pistol grip and some folks find it easier to manipulate. The tang mounted safety can also be an advantage for ambidextrous use, but can be a pain to reach on a pistol grip version.

Again both shotguns are solid choices in the pump world.