45ACP's fired from 410?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > 45ACP's fired from 410?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Default 45ACP's fired from 410?

i might be dumb for trying it...but hey,it worked!
i took some reloaded (leadbullets) 45acp's slipped a small o-ring over the rim to hold it in place and loaded it into my NEF410 single barrel and POW!it fired with very little kick and gave off a hollow sound from the barrel...of course i was a little scared trying this not worrying about blowing my head off being i had the little shotgun strapped to a sight vise and string hooked to the trigger.(more lossing a firearm)..after the gun went boom,i inspected the case for splits,cracks,bulging,ect...everything looked O.K....so i tried it from the hip,shoulder,one handed...everything worked like a charm....its not the most accurate and i doubt i would try fmj or any other kind of jacketed bullet in this RIG!and of course i want be wasting all my 45's in a single barreled shotgun being i have two fine working .45 pistols...but i guess if they stop making 410shells or the prices of them keep climbing....might not be a bad last resort of redneck ammo!....just wondering if anyone else has tried this or heard of this and if they have tried 45colt ammo in the same setup?...i dont own anything in the 45colt so IDK?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Interesting. And yet I am forced to ask - How did you get the point of wanting to try this??

I am just wondering how the progression went from shotgun with shot shells to shot gun with pistol rounds in it.

JD

Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #3

im going to get bashed for saying this....the (internet) where else?

plus when you mix boredumb with the internet...it usually winds up going two ways...good or very bad....or on youtube....im wondering if i could take some 45colt brass and load very lightly with some .40cal lead?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Honestly, it's a dumb idea unless the firearm is specifically chambered for it. Consult your owner's manual to see if it's acceptable in your gun.

Having said that, there are quite a few guns out there that are designed to use .410 and .45 LC interchangeably.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #5

i do agree with you 100% on it being a dumb idea matt...

it was just a spur of the moment thing and the gun i used it on was a 20.00dollar firearm that was bought years ago and i didnt care what the outcome was going to be...like i said i done it as safely as i knew fit...which it wasnt safe to try it..for the guns sake...but hey,what can i say...i like a dangrous challenge...

reminds me of the time some buddies of mine tried to blow an old black powder rifle up...from what i seen go into that poor rifle i just knew something bad was going to happen...550grs of powerdex and a .50cal lead ball...one of the loudest things i have every heard.and the gun is still alive!..of course these same idiots would (pinkiepack) as they called it,the same black powder rifle and fire it off...not me..:/

but yes i would difinitely not recommend anyone try to do the same...

if the gun calls for one type of ammunition...use only that type..

Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's weird given that the .45acp is actually .45 caliber, while the .410 really is .410 (I know that sounds stupid, but there are several calibers that are different, like .380, .38sp, .32acp, .44mag, etc). So I guess either the cast bullet in combination with the smooth bore allowed it to pass with relative ease, or your shotgun is actually designed to shoot .45LC also?

Interesting observation, though!

And thanks for actually telling us about it even though Im sure you knew you'd catch some flack!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
That's weird given that the .45acp is actually .45 caliber, while the .410 really is .410 (I know that sounds stupid, but there are several calibers that are different, like .380, .38sp, .32acp, .44mag, etc). So I guess either the cast bullet in combination with the smooth bore allowed it to pass with relative ease, or your shotgun is actually designed to shoot .45LC also?

Interesting observation, though!

And thanks for actually telling us about it even though Im sure you knew you'd catch some flack!
The inner diameter of a .410 ga. chamber is a little over .410". The outer diameter of a .45 LC or .45 ACP is .451". Let's call it 40 thousands.

When you take into account the bullet deformation and resistance caused by the lands of the riflings, you'll realize that .040" difference in inner diameter between a smooth bore .410 and rifled .45 ACP or .45 LC is pretty minimal.

The problem arises, especially in cheap shotguns, when you over pressure the the chamber and blow it apart. SAAMI rates the maximum chamber pressures for .45 ACP at 21 kPSI and .45 LC 14 kPSI. Their maximum chamber pressure for a .410 is 13 kPSI. In addition to that, SAAMI says that firing any metallic center fire cartridge through a .410 bore shotgun is a no go.

Firing .410 ga through a .45 LC chambered firearm is perfectly acceptable though, even by SAAMI standards.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The .410 chamber is about .46" diameter, but the bore is right around .41". I was talking more about the bullet (.451") passing through the .410 bore (.41") seemingly so easily (you'd think it would cause a huge overpressure). But I guess like we both said, given the combination of the non-jacketed bullet and smooth bore I guess it wasn't that big of a deal.

But it is still definately a very special circumstance.

Though, I'll add that you can cast .410 slugs, and at 220gr you will get about 1300fps out of them (almost identical to .41 magnum loads) with a standard load. 1500fps should be pretty possible, though, without exceeding max loads. Give me a little bit and Ill upload a scematic of the swage mold Im having made.