Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Is 410 enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Don't forget the odd ammo being marketed at the .410 judge pistols (not saying i like that pistol). IIRC, it had a few discs that looked like big watch batteries & a few pellets, ouch. I wouldn't want to be getting shot by that.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #22

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Why on earth would you rely on a 410 when you can have the stopping power of a 12 bore. Just saying.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Of course a .410 will kill someone...any gun will. But why would you want to rely on it when there are such better options? If that is your only gun and you cannot afford, or do not want to buy another...then load it up and be ready for defense. Whatever gun you use be sure it's loaded with good ammo and that you're proficient with it.

People who want to say humans are not hard to kill and compare killing them to killing a deer, here are my thoughts:

Humans may not be that hard to kill in a normal state of mind...what about the drug crazed lunatic that is crashing through the door? I want to biggest rounds possible and as many of them as I can have to stop that threat. I do not want him to die from bleeding out slowly or from shock later at the hospital, aftter he has killed/wounded me or my family becaue my gun failed to put him down right away...I want him dead as quickly as possible to end the threat. You compare shooting the deer with a .410 slug to a person...no doubt they will both die. But tell me this...how far have those deer ran after being shot? How many honestly fell dead on the spot unless it was a head shot? I will be willing to bet not many, if any of them at all. When I used to gun hunt I used a 30-06 with 150-180 grain loads and I still have had deer run after being hit. Now I primarily bowhunt and have seen it kill many deer quickly. So should I use my bow with a razor sharp braodhead for home defense? No, because even though it will kill...it will take some time. Think about it...if it takes that deer ( or bad guy in this case ) 30 seconds to a minute to die...that's a long time for him to hurt you or your family before the threat is gone.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
RMc

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Compare:

Compare:

12 gauge 8 pellet 00B Tactical buckshot and .410 3" 00B.

Both fire .33" lead balls each weighing 54 grains or 1/8th ounce.

Both have a velocity of 1145 fps.

Both will place a 100% pattern on a 9 inch paper plate at 10 yards.

00B pellets at 1145 fps will penetrate 15 to 18 inches in ballistic gelatin.

Gentlemen:

I sumbit this discussion is a "tempest in a teapot" as both loads are indeed capable of rapidly incapacitating an intruder at home defense ranges.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
Why on earth would you rely on a 410 when you can have the stopping power of a 12 bore. Just saying.
Same reason people buy smaller handguns like a .380; some situations won't allow the use of a "full sized" firearm or perhaps a larger shell. For example, my mom is older and has some carpal tunnel (whipped me too many times ); she would have difficulty with a 12 guage shotty but should be able to handle the lil .410. For similar reasons, she doesn't need a semiauto pistol (hard to rack), but she could make a revolver function in a pinch.

Hunting-wise, some huntable areas for squirrel & rabbit are very close to suburban neighborhoods; depending on the noise-sensitivity of the residents, 12 guage might cause hassles with the local residents and could prevent future use of the area.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:54 AM   #26

Location: Big Pool, Washington Co,Peoples Republic of Maryland

Thought I might throw something into the mix as my first post. I have a Taurus "Judge" with a 6" barrel. I have been shooting the new Winchester PDX 1 shot shells made specifically for the Judge. The new shell contains 3 copper clad discs plus 12 copper clad BB's. The PDX 1 is not a typical .410 shell, the discs are spun by the rifling and hold a rather tight pattern. I shot a black target that turns yellow where hit and at about 25 feet, it turned the target yellow. You might want to check out U-Tube under Judge pistols and watch what happens to a watermelon when hit by the PDX 1. My Judge is loaded alternately with PDX 1 and .45 long colt and I'm real comfortable with it as a home defense weapon.