Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Is 410 enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Is 410 enough?

Would a semi auto 410, w/ 18in barrel be good for home defense? Some slugs weigh 1/5oz and travel 1600-1800fps,600-800ftlbs, which is just fine. What about the buck shot? Will it have enough punch to drop an intruder?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5122 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

in general a .410 isnt considered a real good defense round. but if your going to opt for that go with slugs. avoid shot shells even 00 they dont hold enough to be effective. just dont use a handgun .410 such as a judge they are pretty weak defensive handguns. shot shells do not perform well out of a handgun.

Last edited by JonM; 10-25-2010 at 03:57 AM.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

The 410 is the most maligned shotgun there is. People who don’t know the gun and never use one mostly do this. The 410 is a serious weapon and not the kid’s toy people seem to think it is. Inside a structure we are talking feet not yards so a 410 loaded with #4 or #6 shot will stop anyone who is not wearing a vest and if a person is using slugs they are putting people in other rooms in danger and possibly those outside the building. A few years ago, not far from here, a young man lost his life in a hunting accident being hit by a load of #4 shot out of a 410 at 25 yards so one would assume that in the few feet a person might encounter an intruder in their home it would stop them dead in their tracks. I would be more comfortable using a 410 shotgun with birdshot for home defense than any handgun ever made and don’t feel that buckshot or slugs are necessary to do the job. I have hunted with 410s for over 60 years and know what these guns are capable of.

Just the musings of an old man who has been around for a long time and seen a few things.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I must respectfully disagree with Wally on this one. The .410 is a capable hunting cartridge in the right hands, on the right game. The .22LR is a capable hunting cartridge in the right hands, on the right game.

Neither are good home defense calibers. Can you stop an intruder with a .410 (or .22)? of course. Should you rely on these calibers to consistantly stop a determined adversary? ABSOFREAKINLUTELYNOT!

This is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've posted this before, but I'll reprint it below:

"I hear all types of comments on the .410--most of which state that it is almost useless for self-defense. Let's get real and look at the ballistics vs a 38 Special, which although not the most powerful or effective defensive round, was the world standard for many years and is still the #1 carry round:

38 Special: 158 grains, approx 1000 fps (+P)

.410, OOO Buck 3 inch: Five OOO Buck (each is 9mm in diameter and weighs 70 grs, for a total of 350 grains), 1135 fps.

So, would you rather be shot with one 158 grain 38 Special at 1000 fps, or 5 OOO Buck (350 grains) at 1135 fps? Now I understand the arguments, the 38 has higher terminal velocity, higher penetration, etc--but for home defense where the range is probably 10 feet or less, does anyone really believe the .410 would not be effective???"

As I mentioned, I've said the above before--this argument continues to come up from time to time. I AM NOT saying that I highly recommend the .410 for home defense, but the thoughts that it is ineffective are totally wrong. Anyone want to volunteer to be shot by one? It is highly likely that a .410 to the chest will kill quicker than a .38 Special to the chest, and will not over penetrate in the home as much. A shotgun full of .410 OOO buck loads would be a great home defensive round for a lady who doesn't like recoil, or anyone else for that matter...
Just my 2 cents worth.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 10-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes a .410 WILL kill BUT why consider a .410 when the 20 gauge does a LOT better job and still is very soft on recoil? I can't imagine anyone being able to shoot a .410 that cannot shoot a 20 gauge. Mild loads in the 20 gauge is more effective than 3" loads in the .410. If you already have a .410 fine but if you're looking for a mild recoiling defense shotgun choose a 20 gauge.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 10-25-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: addition

Old 10-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Yes a .410 WILL kill BUT why consider a .410 when the 20 gauge does a LOT better job and still is very soft on recoil? I can't imagine anyone being able to shoot a .410 that cannot shoot a 20 gauge. Mild loads in the 20 gauge is more effective than 3" loads in the .410. If you already have a .410 fine but if you're looking for a mild recoiling defense shotgun choose a 20 gauge.
No argument there, but I have yet to see any "mild" 20 gauge factory loads in buck/slug of any type, so you probably would have to reload. Again, I wasn't recommending the .410 as a first choice, but if that's what you have it will work well, and it is certainly "effective" for close quarter in home self defense. I just hate to hear general comments about the .410 being "useless" or "ineffective" for home defense...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .

Missielman:

I have put up with people that have no respect for the 410 for over 60 years and found that there is no way that one can convince the nay-sayers that these little guns are effective hunting and protection weapons. I have bundled up foot thick bundles of newspaper and had people shoot into them with #4s at fifteen feet and even after seeing the results they are still convinced that you have to use at least a 20 gauge to protect their homes. Granted the guns used had full chokes with 26 inch barrels but I don’t think that using a shorter barreled gun at that distance would make that much difference.

Although I do not advocate the use of slugs for home protection, in that quite a few deer are taken every season with one shot kills out to 30 or 40 yards, it stands to reason that within the confines of a home they would darn sure do the job on a person. Humans are, as a whole, pretty delicate and it does not take that much to kill one. A trauma surgeon at an inter city hospital once told me that as many gunshot victims die from shock as die from the wounds they receive. A 410 would give a person one hell of a shock at close range.

Walley:

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Old 10-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
Humans are, as a whole, pretty delicate and it does not take that much to kill one. A trauma surgeon at an inter city hospital once told me that as many gunshot victims die from shock as die from the wounds they receive. A 410 would give a person one hell of a shock at close range.Walley:
I concur sir. Biggest is not always better, it just does the job quicker.

Use what you got and use it well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Just for grins and giggles, I ran the numbers using Federal's ballistics calculator.

Their 410 shell with the top muzzle energy is 850 ft/lbs. It's one of their new self defense shells.

To get a handgun round with similar numbers I had to go all the way up to their top .44 magnum round at 810 ft/lbs.

I'd guess the 410 is definitely more than capable as a defensive firearm.

Now we all know that one shot knock-down from a handgun is pretty much a myth. Someone once said the purpose of your handgun is to get you to your rifle. So why would it surprise us that any shotgun shell, even the smallest, would do more damage than most handgun rounds.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA