Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > .410 Double Barrel!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .410 Double Barrel!

Anyone out there currently using a .410 double for anything besides Cowboy shooting? I've got a desire to get a .410 double, with adjustable chokes, for some fun shooting (sporting clays, trap, skeet, etc.)

I'm not looking to break the bank so Browning's, as good as they are, are not on my prospective list. I'm looking at Savage/Stevens, Mossberg, and CZ. I did come across another brand, TriStar, but I know nothing about them. I'm not particular as to whether it's an O/U or a S/S.

Any help, experience, etc., would be most appreciated!

SgtSam
Take Care, God Bless, And WATCH Your Back

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5249 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Not sure if this helps. Ive got three shotguns 2 pumps and a side by side the pumps are 12ga mossbergs and the sife by side (my favorite) is a cz ringneck in 12ga. I love my cz i wouldnt hesitate to get another if something happened to the one i have.

Each barrel on the cz has recesses cut for removable chokes. Ive got a full set for each barrel. So for range practice i full choke each barrel then for doves i can set a near and far choke. If i had known more when i bought it i would have got double triggers instead of the selector model.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

Do you have your heart set on removable chokes? If you don't mind something a little older, .410 sxs's show up on the used gun racks at shops and at gun shows from time to time. A friend of mine has one, I have no idea what brand but it's 1940's or 1950's vintage, 2 1/2" chambers, double triggers, and it's an absolute blast to shoot. He usually takes it out once a year for rabbits.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #4

The problem with fixed choke double .410's is that they are usually choked F/F or F/M. I really don't want a full choke on the gun. I'd rather not have to go to the expense of having them opened up to delete the full choke. And, from all I've heard about this, it's more trouble than it's worth, the opened muzzles usually are problematic.

As for having one modified for tubes, that's quite an expense.

Hence my quest for one already set up for tubes. Then I can easily tailor the gun to purpose at hand for a particular day.

SgtSam

Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #5

Yes, most SxS .410's have fixed full chokes, but not all of them. Sometimes you find them choked skeet/skeet. The one I mentioned before is so choked and for all the effective range of a 2 1/2" .410 shell, it seems to work just fine.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not as cool as a sideXside .410, but have you seen the carbine version of that Judge pistol? Interesting animal; i keep wondering how one would be for tree rats.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Does anyone other than Browning make a double 410 with choke tubes?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 AM   #8

After some more research, it would appear that no one other than Browning makes any type of .410 with interchangeable chokes. They have several O/U models, and the BPS. The BPS may be the way to go in the price range that I'm looking to spend. I already have two BPS guns, a 16Ga and a 12Ga. A .410 BPS wouldn't find itself an orphan, anyway!

SgtSam

Old 09-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Not as cool , but have you seen the carbine version of that Judge pistol? Interesting animal; i keep wondering how one would be for tree rats.
i'm waiting to see how they pattern. and wouldn't it make a cool black powder popper.

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
i'm waiting to see how they pattern. and wouldn't it make a cool black powder popper.
VTIGunparts.com Shopping Cart Order - Uberti 1858 Revolver Carbine

Indeed sir! I suspect that may have been their inspiration.

also cool:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/revolver_carbine_and_buntline.php
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/new_army_target_carbine_and_police.php

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 09-01-2011 at 06:42 PM.